ATOM RPG - Preview @ Cliqist - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ATOM RPG - Preview @ Cliqist

Default ATOM RPG - Preview @ Cliqist

December 15th, 2017, 01:33
The Cliqist checked out the ATOM RPG:

Nostalgia Bait Sucks, Except When Atom RPG Brings Back The Real Fallout

If thereís two things I hate in the gaming industry today that everyone else loves, itís Bethesda and nostalgia. Bethesda has a long record of suing indie developers over spurious copyright claims while pretending to be the victim. Meanwhile theyíve been ruining Fallout and The Elder Scrolls with bland, boring, and two dimensional gameplay and have somehow convinced people theyíre still great. And letís not forget their refusal to work with video game critics, refusing to send out review copies ahead of time so that pre-orderers donít cancel when critics rake their games of the coals.

And nostalgia. Nostalgia has become a crutch for modern indie game development. Canít art? Donít hire an artist, just draw some squares and call it pixel art! Canít music? Just bang some pots and pans together, record it with a dollar store microphone, and call it classic 8-bit music! Donít know how to gameplay? Just make a 2D platformer and call it a fan-made, spiritual successor to Boogerman and people wonít be able to pay you fast enough.

Humph, I say.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

December 15th, 2017, 01:33
"And nostalgia. Nostalgia has become a crutch for modern indie game development. Canít art? Donít hire an artist, just draw some squares and call it pixel art! Canít music? Just bang some pots and pans together, record it with a dollar store microphone, and call it classic 8-bit music! Donít know how to gameplay? Just make a 2D platformer and call it a fan-made, spiritual successor to Boogerman and people wonít be able to pay you fast enough."

Amen!

Hak'n'Slash

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

December 15th, 2017, 17:02
Obviously, I didn't click the link but the dude is butt hurt bad from Bethesda not giving him free stuff. Poor baby. Anybody know where I can ship him a pacifier?
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

December 15th, 2017, 19:36
One man's nostalgia is another man's 'retro'. On one hand he knocks nostalgia while waxing poetic about harking back to bygone game-play days as 'retro'.

Even when all there was in gaming was turn-based play, I disliked it and thought it was dumb. You stand there like a dead tree and wait to get clobbered. Then you spent 10 minutes deciding whether to use your Sword+2, Fire Bow, or Electric Storm spell on some waiting victim. I leapt for joy when real time combat appeared.

And no, I'm not a console gamer, hand-held smart phone gamer, online gamer, social gamer, team gamer, strategy, RTS, FPS -- whatever. I'm almost 70 and have played CRPGs since 1980.

Give me single-player, real time combat, third person games any time.

Zephyr

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 15th, 2017, 20:35
This guy is my kind of crotchety!

Even when all there was in gaming was turn-based play, I disliked it and thought it was dumb.
When exactly was this? The first Atari console had real-time gameplay, all the way back to Pong.

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 15th, 2017, 20:53
You're correct on Pong. Played it in bars. I'm talking RPGs specifically. Sorry if I got a bit 'soap boxy'.

Zephyr

Sentinel

December 15th, 2017, 22:43
Hey us old folks are allowed to get up on a soap box now and again, just got to watch the dismount ( don't want to break a hip)

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

December 15th, 2017, 23:24
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Obviously, I didn't click the link but the dude is butt hurt bad from Bethesda not giving him free stuff. Poor baby. Anybody know where I can ship him a pacifier?
I think he has some good points but the language he uses makes it very hard to take him seriously.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

December 16th, 2017, 01:48
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
You're correct on Pong. Played it in bars. I'm talking RPGs specifically. Sorry if I got a bit 'soap boxy'.
NP. I'm the opposite. Last "action" RPG I played was Gothic 3. It's all turn-based for me, baby!

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Talking 

December 16th, 2017, 03:08
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
NP. I'm the opposite. Last "action" RPG I played was Gothic 3. It's all turn-based for me, baby!
It's the old Ford vs. Chevy argument. Or for us former musicians, Fender vs. Gibson or rosewood vs. maple necks.

Zephyr

Sentinel

December 16th, 2017, 18:42
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Even when all there was in gaming was turn-based play, I disliked it and thought it was dumb. You stand there like a dead tree and wait to get clobbered. Then you spent 10 minutes deciding whether to use your Sword+2, Fire Bow, or Electric Storm spell on some waiting victim. I leapt for joy when real time combat appeared.

And no, I'm not a console gamer, hand-held smart phone gamer, online gamer, social gamer, team gamer, strategy, RTS, FPS -- whatever. I'm almost 70 and have played CRPGs since 1980.

Give me single-player, real time combat, third person games any time.
Nice creds my man.

I too prefer real time combat but I also like turn base. Even Today. Think back in the day when you had to do your own game maps. Or there were puzzles you actually had to put together from your . . . . notes. Or when you had to walk over to the cassette player to change the music. Or when you had to swap floppies when you were entering a new area. Turn base was kind of necessary back in the day.

This old tyme message brought to you by Manny's Weed and Feed. When them mangy young'uns keep a trampling your lawn, you need clod protection.

Makes no difference if its day or dawn
Hey your creeps, get off my lawn!

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

December 16th, 2017, 19:19
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
Nice creds my man.

I too prefer real time combat but I also like turn base. Even Today. Think back in the day when you had to do your own game maps. Or there were puzzles you actually had to put together from your . . . . notes. Or when you had to walk over to the cassette player to change the music. Or when you had to swap floppies when you were entering a new area. Turn base was kind of necessary back in the day.

This old tyme message brought to you by Manny's Weed and Feed. When them mangy young'uns keep a trampling your lawn, you need clod protection.

Makes no difference if its day or dawn
Hey your creeps, get off my lawn!

Oh, yeah. I recall mapping with 1/4 inch graph paper to find my way around mazes, marking chutes, teleporters, and traps. Good old perma-death. Get a good character going and *Zap!*, Balrog encountered! You've taken 32,767 hits!
Roll up another Pud.

Zephyr

Sentinel

+1:

December 16th, 2017, 20:17
Lots of heinous junk out there touted as the Next Great Thing.

mercy

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ATOM RPG - Preview @ Cliqist