Gamasutra - Desura's parent company has filed for bankruptcy

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Bad news: Gamasutra about indie friendly digital distribution service Desura:

Bad Juju, the parent company of game bundle seller Indie Royale and digital distribution storefront Desura, has filed for bankruptcy.

The bankruptcy adds more uncertainty to an already foggy situation. Bad Juju, which acquired Desura from Linden Lab late last year, was already behind on payments to game developers. Any further disruption to the storefront or to Indie Royale could cause further financial complications for those waiting to get paid.

Lisa Morrison, head of developer relations at Bad Juju, told Gamasutra she just found out about the bankruptcy on Friday morning, via Twitter. She said she had few details on the situation.

“I asked Tony [Novak, CEO of Bad Juju] for confirmation and all he could tell me was, ‘The lawyers have said I can't say anything or answer any questions yet, but yes it's true.’”

Morrison, who expressed shock and sadness on her own Twitter account over the ordeal, said she expects more details will emerge when Bad Juju’s trustees allow for it.

“I'm just shocked right now...stunned,” she said. “I had no idea this was coming.”

Meanwhile on Desura’s website, The Indie Stone, the developer behind the game Project Zomboid recommended that players who haven’t activated Steam keys purchased via Desura to do so “as soon as possible.”

News of bankruptcy trouble began to emerge when Indie Royale’s Graeme Boxall tweeted, “If you Google, Bad Juju bankruptcy, you find some very unfortunate news.” The internet search points to evidence of the bankruptcy filing.
More information.

This is too bad ... I feel worst for developers who will never see money - saw it on RampantCoyote's site, with Craig Stern (Telepath games) chiming in as well ...

Desura staff seem stuck between a rock and a hard place. It sucks for them too.

That statement is painful to read, it was obvious and we now have confirmation it was about the equivalent of Enron telling its shareholders it only has temporary problems.

That statement is painful to read, it was obvious and we now have confirmation it was about the equivalent of Enron telling its shareholders it only has temporary problems.

Ya - only it appears the CEO was lying to the employees who had to tell that message too and who are now having to look for other work. Its a mess.

The death of Desura is pretty disappointing. I remember using them quite a bit in the past when they were the place to go for indie games before Steam had stuff like Greenlight. Will be sad to see them go. =(

Back
Top Bottom