City of Abandoned Ships - Q & A @ RPGDot

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGDot has a little more coverage of the pirate-themed RPG we looked at awhile back, City of Abandoned Ships, from Akella and Russian developer Seaward. Here's a snip:
4) I understand that the game will utilise a unique progression system called "P.I.R.A.T.E.S", could you tell us a little about how this will work and how the characters will advance through the game world? Can we pick a character type and gender at the start of the game?

The character development system, P.I.R.A.T.E.S, bears first letters of 7 major characteristics our character will have: Power, Impression, Reaction, Authority, Talent, Endurance, and Success. These stats affect at which pace the protagonist’s 14 skills will develop. These skills divide into personal (credibility, light, medium and heavy weapons, guns, luck, and secrecy) and ship-borne (navigation, accuracy, weaponry, boarding, defense, repair, trade). Every skill is to be developed separately depending on how the gamer plays. For example, when you buy something in a shop, you thus raise your Trade skill; however you aren’t getting any closer to developing your Boarding skill. When you shoot, it improves your Guns skill, and as you proceed and master your attributes, your shooting becomes more accurate and deadly. Sea combats develop your Accuracy and Weapons skills, etc. The gamer is offered three protagonist options, all of them are male. However, if you choose to play as Peter Blood, you’ll have a separate unique line of quests.
More information.

Sounds interesting. I'm a bit of a sucker for pirate-based games, even if they are fairly light on the RPG front.

Hit or miss. Akella's older pirate games are conceptually sound but got buggier by the incarnation, so I dont have much faith in their technical ability. It could turn out well with another dev team, e g if Seaward doesnt consist of the same people who were responsible for the Carribean Tales bugfest.

I can't get the Dot page to load atm, but here's what Gamebansee had quoted about Seaward --sounds more like they're modders turned devs:

2) How did the game idea come into being? Are the dev team experienced in making this type of game?

We went into development sphere as game fans. We were so much into naval games that decided to work on modding the Pirates of the Caribbean (developed by Akella). We inserted so many tweaks and new twists that, eventually, our work looked more like a finished, polished non-commercial add-on to The Pirates of the Caribbean than just some separate modifications. We called it Sea Legend Returns. Akella liked what we finally got, and we embarked on a deal – create something like what we did but more commercial. We thought it over very thoroughly – it was our first initiative of that scope. We made up our mind to step in and embarked on developing the game based on the Storm 2.5 engine. So, we released a very successful title, Corsairs: Legend Returns. The City of Abandoned Ships is actually a finalized, polished and greatly improved (from the gameplay perspective) version of the previous game.

Indeed, they were from a popular russian pirate game forum (or so the story goes). And it's a good idea when you consider that the Build Mod from the Pirates Ahoy! forum for the Pirates of the Carribean game (the game that Sea Dogs 2 kind of morphed into) is a far superior game to Akella's followup, Age of Pirates. And I really mean far superior.

I'm rooting for Akella though. I really like their ideas and their willingness to provide for niche gamers. But they'll have to do really well to top the Build Mod which is still in development and just keeps getting better and better.

Additionally, Akella has been much more open with modders recently, including a little light contact with the Pirates Ahoy! folks about, for example, the title of the game for the English-language release and even providing internal development tools for them.

Back
Top Bottom