No Man's Sky - Death Threats Over Delay

Anyone who ever sends a death threat for any reason should be punished by forbidding them to use any kind of communication over 3rd party (aka postcards, letters, e-mail, social networks and ofc phones). For life.

I can't speak for all countries, but death threats can be a criminal offense in the US. We are talking about a "game" being delayed for a short time, it's not a cure for cancer being withheld from the public.

Grow up kids…

It is safe to say that 99.999% of people would never issues death threats, but when you're dealing with about 200 million English-speaking internet users, all it takes is that 0.001% to cause all this ruckus.

People like TotalBiscuit have repeatedly stated that he receives many death threats. Everybody who's famous will receive them at some point. Shoot, even I have received them after I went on TotalBiscuit's show regarding paid Skyrim mods.

As many of you have stated, there really isn't a way to stop the sub-1% who are insane, sociopathic, and incapable of reason. I personally think this type of stuff is best ignored by the media because giving any form of terrorism more attention is playing into their hand.

Intellectual thought for the day: if all death threats were reported on, journalism sites wouldn't be able to fit them on the page every day. Is it good that sites seem to deem only certain death threats news-worthy?

It is safe to say that 99.999% of people would never issues death threats, but when you're dealing with about 200 million English-speaking internet users, all it takes is that 0.001% to cause all this ruckus.

People like TotalBiscuit have repeatedly stated that he receives many death threats. Everybody who's famous will receive them at some point. Shoot, even I have received them after I went on TotalBiscuit's show regarding paid Skyrim mods.

As many of you have stated, there really isn't a way to stop the sub-1% who are insane, sociopathic, and incapable of reason. I personally think this type of stuff is best ignored by the media because giving any form of terrorism more attention is playing into their hand.

Intellectual thought for the day: if all death threats were reported on, journalism sites wouldn't be able to fit them on the page every day. Is it good that sites seem to deem only certain death threats news-worthy?
True but most internet comments on mainstream gaming sites seem immature to me lately. Nowadays I just pop some popcorn, and read comments for comedy relief.

Anonymity breeds all kinds of behaviour. Still better than a policed internet.

And at least it wasn't a woman this time, or we'd have a whole different discussion at our hands, right? ;)

Oh, come on, Sacred, really? These are the same kinds of lowlifes giving death threats to Amber Scott over writing a trans character. :-/

Last edited:
Anonymity breeds all kinds of behaviour. Still better than a policed internet.

After the people kill people, not guns, anonymity breeds all kinds of behaviour.
Nothing surprising with those kinds of reasoning.

First point, few people are anonymous on the Internet.

Second point, anonymity is a byproduct of being given a name. Anonymity is a well spread status that occurs at any moment in life. People shop, move around anonymously most of the time.

If indeed anonymity breeds all kinds of behaviour, this would have been known a long time before the Internet (since by the way anonymity existed way before the Internet)

Uh, what? Nearly everyone is anonymous on the internet. Only a select group of sites use supposedly real names. You are confusing traceability with anonymity. With enough effort, everyone's online activity can be tracked down. But the actual posting is anonymous because we don't know who really is behind it without much investigation.

If indeed anonymity breeds all kinds of behaviour, this would have been known a long time before the Internet
Uh…this *has* been known for a LONG time. It is something society has dealt with for ages. A good example before the Internet is the Unibomber. People have used communication methods to terrorize people since the beginning.

The point is the Internet is the the most advanced, all-encompassing method to terrorize people ever invented. You used to have to carefully make packages or letters and mail them and wait…now you can terrorize nearly anyone at any time at a moment's notice. The Internet is a sociopath's dream come true.

I can't believe people are buying this story.

200 Million English-speaking people on the internet? My friend that was a loooooong time ago. 2000 million would be closer to the reality now!

With all the games available today, and the potential half-baked nature of this one without a lot of TLC, I'm honestly surprised people are more than mildly disappointed at the delay. With the thousands of games out there, how can people be in a hurry to play one before it's ready?

Oh, come on, Sacred, really? These are the same kinds of lowlifes giving death threats to Amber Scott over writing a trans character. :-/

Probably. But it doesn't generate the same publicity if it happens to a man, I think. YMMV.

After the people kill people, not guns, anonymity breeds all kinds of behaviour.
Nothing surprising with those kinds of reasoning.

But they feel like they are, and that's enough.

Second point, anonymity is a byproduct of being given a name. Anonymity is a well spread status that occurs at any moment in life. People shop, move around anonymously most of the time.

It's not just your own anonymity of course, it's that the other side is somewhat removed from you, and the judgement of others, too.

200 Million English-speaking people on the internet? My friend that was a loooooong time ago. 2000 million would be closer to the reality now!
Oh true I suppose. I was looking at the English as primary language number which shows 400 million, and I figured about 50% are active on the internet. But I do see 1100 million listed as English secondary language.

Anyway, the point is there are a lot of nutjubs out there, and I should know!! :)

It could be a PR stunt, I suppose. But it would be a bit risky, as the police would likely take something like that seriously in the UK. I also don't struggle to imagine some Cheetos-coated internet weirdo doing such a thing. That idiot we had here a few weeks ago, on a demented mission against Darkest Dungeon, didn't seem too many steps away from threats of harm...

It could be a PR stunt, I suppose. But it would be a bit risky, as the police would likely take something like that seriously in the UK. I also don't struggle to imagine some Cheetos-coated internet weirdo doing such a thing. That idiot we had here a few weeks ago, on a demented mission against Darkest Dungeon, didn't seem too many steps away from threats of harm…
Well the developer is lucky he wasn't swatted. It's worse then death threats & on the rise. Seems to happen a lot if you're a live steamer, or public figure nowadays.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

Last edited:
Swatting isn't really a thing in the UK. It's been tried once that I know of, but it didn't result in much fuss. They don't tend to do the door kicking and putting everyone on the ground with machine guns - that's pretty much only for very major busts of organised crime and terrorists.

I also don't struggle to imagine some Cheetos-coated internet weirdo doing such a thing.

This is a beautiful line, Ripper. xD

It could be a PR stunt, I suppose. But it would be a bit risky, as the police would likely take something like that seriously in the UK. I also don't struggle to imagine some Cheetos-coated internet weirdo doing such a thing. That idiot we had here a few weeks ago, on a demented mission against Darkest Dungeon, didn't seem too many steps away from threats of harm…

Chein is still here.

Back
Top Bottom