General News - Overlooked RPGs

King's Bounty is a Tactical RPG. There are very few games that can be considered Strategy RPGs, Crusader Kings 2 is one for example.

Correct, Tactical RPG was the term I was looking for, like Disgaia or FF tactics, where combat is the important part and quite deep. A strategy RPG would be perhaps Homm?

For this series I'd call them hybrids with the stronger side the RPG, the strategy side is more the window dressing IMO. Some people think strategy = games which involve tactics more than plot, but for me strategy = a game with an active AI with which you have to compete for territory. Everything in King's Bounty is static and you approach everything in the same way you would a regular RPG.

Can't argue there, well put.

If you remove the anime games there isn’t a whole lot left on the list.

-Alpha Protocol (tried and didn’t like it enough to overcome the technical difficulties this game brings with it)
-Kings Bounty (only tried one of the Kings Bounty games as a demo…decent, but my time of HOMM like games are past, and yeah while it might be more RPGish it's also more "abstract" than Eisenwald or Expeditions from what I saw)
-Risen (never played it)
-Arx Fatalis (due to it’s early 3D graphics extremely ugly now, only tried but that timeframe brings technical difficulties as well)
-Arcanum (tried, but didn’t like the character system, also all portraits of the main character were ugly)
-Neo Scavanger (didn’t expect this to find it on the list, I own it, but couldn’t get into it)
-Anachronox (tried, and didn’t like it, bad controls and ages badly due to early 3d graphics)
-Avernum: Escape from the Pit (actually the only game from this list I really liked personally)

So…everything (probably besides Risen) is pretty niche, and some of the games came out at a horrible timeframe (around 2000s) which make them hard to play (because they don't work) or enjoy (because they are ugly as s*it) these games today.

King's Bounty is a Tactical RPG. There are very few games that can be considered Strategy RPGs, Crusader Kings 2 is one for example.

While your definition is probably more accurate, their is a longstanding tradition of calling games like this SRPGS. It started with grid based JRPGS and has been adopted for western games as well. When people use the term "SRPG" they normally mean a game with turn based tactical battles at the heart of the gameplay.

If you remove the anime games there isn’t a whole lot left on the list.

-Alpha Protocol (tried and didn’t like it enough to overcome the technical difficulties this game brings with it)
-Kings Bounty (only tried one of the Kings Bounty games as a demo…decent, but my time of HOMM like games are past, and yeah while it might be more RPGish it's also more "abstract" than Eisenwald or Expeditions from what I saw)
-Risen (never played it)
-Arx Fatalis (due to it’s early 3D graphics extremely ugly now, only tried but that timeframe brings technical difficulties as well)
-Arcanum (tried, but didn’t like the character system, also all portraits of the main character were ugly)
-Neo Scavanger (didn’t expect this to find it on the list, I own it, but couldn’t get into it)
-Anachronox (tried, and didn’t like it, bad controls and ages badly due to early 3d graphics)
-Avernum: Escape from the Pit (actually the only game from this list I really liked personally)

So…everything (probably besides Risen) is pretty niche, and some of the games came out at a horrible timeframe (around 2000s) which make them hard to play (because they don't work) or enjoy (because they are ugly as s*it) these games today.

Arx Fatalis is the best game from that list imo. Such an innovative rpg. It is criminal that it is so forgotten nowdays. There was a cross platform mod called Arx Liberatis which was supposed to fix graphic issues. I dunno how well it works.

Reminds me that there was also a game called "Wizards & Warriors" in that era (2000), which was some kind of new wizardry game ( David W. Bradley). Unfortunately the release never really reached a "finished" state from what I remember.

What kind of list is this.
Overlooked by whom? The site that made the list I guess. As none of mentioned games contain lootboxes or pay2win/cheat microtransactions.

Wizards and Warriors was a ton of fun, but it was broken. Fear the turtle!

Back
Top Bottom