What games are you playing now?

I would say that it is like a mix between Ocarina of time & Wind Waker. And the controls are surprisingly responsive, as long as you calibrate your Wiimote correctly. Every time you start the game you are met with a calibration screen, though I always have to re-calibrate it once I'm past it. When you are on the main menu, hold the Wiimote in a horizontal position (pointed towards the TV), and press down on the D-pad and you will find it a lot better than what you get after the initial calibration.

Well, this Zelda game is the first game after acquiring and setting the Wii, so naturally it took me a while to get used to it, that's why I said that the controls were a bit shabby. It's fine that you can re-calibrate the Wiiremote, BUT after a while the cursor diesn't point there where you want, or the sword points to the opposite way.

FYI, I completed this game just some hour ago. The final boss was so easy, that I didn't need anything else than a sword to defeat it.

Thanks for the additional opinions on Skyward Sword. I wasn't a huge fan of either Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker, and that's not the direction I would have preferred for SS. I was really hoping it was going to be more like Twilight Princess, but that's evidently not the case.

I won't rule it out for a possible future play, but I'll pass for now.

JDR13, no problem. Any opinions are well respected. If you want to play it, play it, unless you don't like it, just pass through of it. :)

I just started Luminous Arc, a DS strategy J-RPG, similar to PS3 game "Record of Lodoss War: Generation of War".

I never beat the first Hitman game, but I did play it quite a bit and really enjoyed it. I conquered the second one and haven't played much of the rest of the series despite liking it quite a bit.

My memory is a little foggy. Was the first one really that much more difficult?

I wasn't a huge fan of either Ocarina of Time

Wha? Really? Not a fan of the nearly universally agreed upon greatest game of all time by major review sites? I'd like to hear your reasons.

Not my favorite series of all time, but personally, I love the Legend of Zelda games. Ocarina of Time is probably my favorite in the series, but I also loved Twilight Princess and of course the original NES game. Strangely, I never played the SNES game. I was a Sega Genesis kid back in the day. Bought the 64 for Ocarina and bought the Gamecube for Windwaker and Twilight Princess. I don't think I'll be going for the Wii though. I just don't like the motion controller gimmick.

Wha? Really? Not a fan of the nearly universally agreed upon greatest game of all time by major review sites? I'd like to hear your reasons.

Major review sites also nearly universally agreed that Oblivion was a great game when it was released. ;)

OoT was a good game, but not nearly deserving of all those perfect review scores it got. It's also not a title that aged very well.

Strangely, I never played the SNES game.

Then you missed out on a fantastic game. A Link to the Past is one of the better titles in the series. You should give it a try someday.

I don't know if you still like to play older console titles, but if you do, the Wii is a great system to own. The Virtual Console alone is worth the purchase price imo, and it's also backwards compatible with all Gamecube games.

Major review sites also nearly universally agreed that Oblivion was a great game when it was released. ;)

True. Then again, I thought it was a great game for about 40 hours too...

I don't know if you still like to play older console titles, but if you do, the Wii is a great system to own. The Virtual Console alone is worth the purchase price imo, and it's also backwards compatible with all Gamecube games.

I guess that's something I hadn't really considered. I pretty much exclusively use PC's for games now, with the exception of College Hoops 2k8 on Xbox 360 :p Seriously, I can't seem to get enough of that game. I'm not sure how many 100's of hours me and my friends have spent just simulating games, recruiting, and trying to build championship caliber teams. Has to be the most boring looking thing for an outsider ever.

I realize that was way off topic. Steam has been doing a good job releasing some old console titles and there are always emulators too. I have played a bit of the snes game on an emulator before, but didn't play much beyond seeing how it worked. I have some friends that rave about it, so I suppose I will have to play it one of these days.

Since I found out what the word "Ocarina" *really means, I look at this title differently.

Finished WKC, now I'm replaying Geneforge 5 for like the 4th time. Trying a shock trooper this round, it's fun fighting with pets so far and not getting beat up the entire fight, lol. Hoping this will keep me busy till KoA is out!!!

-Carn

I never beat the first Hitman game, but I did play it quite a bit and really enjoyed it. I conquered the second one and haven't played much of the rest of the series despite liking it quite a bit.

My memory is a little foggy. Was the first one really that much more difficult?

I forgot to respond to this question in my previous post.

I haven't played Hitman 2 yet, but it's generally acknowledged that the original game is the hardest by far. Afaik, Hitman 2 allows you a four savegame limit during missions. Considering that Code 47 doesn't allow you to save at all during missions, I'm guessing that's the biggest difference.

Based on how much I'm enjoying Code 47, I definitely plan on playing through all the Hitman titles.

Now starting: Galactic Assault: Prisoner of power. A sci-fi TBS based on an old Soviet era sci-fi novel. Well, the box and description claims its a TBS, the gamespot review starts by claiming that it is a TBS. Let's see who don't know the difference between the different strategy genres: The creators of this game or Gamespot.

In addition to my ongoing DDO addiction, I recently started another long-overdue Wiz8 run. We're just about done with Arnika.

Dipped back into Skyrim the day before yesterday. Coincidentally I had started to re-watch the LotR movies last week, and when they started to show the Edoras panorama shots in TT last night, I thought: 'Hey, it's Whiterun!'
That was it. I couldn't stop thinking of Skyrim for the rest of the movie.

PC has died so I splashed out on a PS3 until it gets repaired. Lots of nice exclusives to try - Demon's Souls, God of War HD, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD and the Drake series. But currently playing the Metal Gear Solid HD collection with MGS4 to come, the last MGS I played was Sons of Liberty so have some catching up to do with Kojima's interactive movies.

Giving the new magic the gathering: tactics game a whirl on steam. Free to play, that is until they bait you into buying the good stuff!

Playing Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect.

I enjoy both games, but they're not really hitting that sweet spot. I think I'm entering a non-gaming stage. It happens every once in a while - where no games really manage to excite me. Means I should take a few weeks off from gaming.

Good news is that I probably won't be posting much if that happens ;)

I'm in the midst of The Darkness II on the PC - still waiting for the X360 review copy to arrive for my son.

Given that this is a console-focused game, I am amazed at how well the game plays and how well it controls - everything is just working. The original was more 'open world'-ish whereas this is pretty clearly a 'corridor shooter', but they added a cool skill-system that is all about bringing death and destruction to the world.

There is a story there, but fortunately it never really gets in the way of me roaming around killing everything in my path as creatively as possible. :)

Have begun dabbling around with King's Bounty : Armored Princess.
Fun so far. :)

Back
Top Bottom