Fallout 76 - Players Offered Compensation

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Many Fallout 76 players have been offered compensation according to GameRant due to a recent price drop.

Less than two weeks after the launch of Fallout 76, retailers are already offering major discounts on Bethesda's new multiplayer RPG, including a 42% price cut through Amazon. This is not sitting well with some players that recently paid full retail price, and these disgruntled Vault Dwellers are suggesting that early adopters should be awarded some form of compensation. It seems that Bethesda agrees, as a player on Reddit, u/IzaakGoldbaum, has recently reported that Bethesda Customer Support has added "500 compensatory Atoms" to their account.

[...]
More information.

500 compensatory Atoms

DtMNiXd.jpg

So $5 to spend on things that aren't real. Wow.

At this point they should start adding bug fixes to their micro-transactions.
Want 50% less frozen t-form posed enemies in-game? That'll be 500 Atoms.
Want to remove the vaseline blur in the distance? Another 500 - cheap at the price!

Well can't say I'm surprised by this.

Law Firm Investigating Bethesda & Fallout 76 for 'Deceptive Trade Practices'
A Washington D.C.-based law firm called Migliaccio & Rathod LLP is reportedly investigating Bethesda for "deceptive trade practices". The firm is heavily vested in consumer protection law as evidenced by case studies in civil rights, environmental contamination, and unfair and deceptive trade practices. The investigation into Bethesda is based on players seemingly being unable to receive refunds for their purchases and for "releasing a heavily-glitched game".

So $5 to spend on things that aren't real. Wow.

At this point they should start adding bug fixes to their micro-transactions.
Want 50% less frozen t-form posed enemies in-game? That'll be 500 Atoms.
Want to remove the vaseline blur in the distance? Another 500 - cheap at the price!
Or they could learn from Firaxis and like them sell the bug fixes and critical engine improvements as part of an expansion... fools didn't even complain about this practise but bought the expansion like normal...

Wow? is it THAT bad? Like, 'No Man's Sky' bad?
Worse. No Man Sky was made by an unknown small studio that tried something new but promised too much.
This was done by a studio that lots of people trusted with their lives that was making something very familiar with only some new promises.

Dunno. I've played for hundreds of hours now and other than dropped connections I haven't been bothered by the bugs. Yes, there are a few, but nothing that detracts from a barely average game :)

For me, an open-world game with first person perspective, exploration, mild survival, loot, crafting and a light dose of whimsy is about perfect. With all that said, this game lacks a soul and feels meaningless. Bethesda failed hard with this one and should pay for it for a long time. Milking customers for years has been Bethesda's motto and this is the icing on that shit cake.

My wife paid $60 for this rehash and it isn't worth it. People who pay $30 are probably fine. It's just a mod for Fallout 4 with multiplayer support, mostly.

Last edited:
Agreed @crpgnut the usual Bethesda defense by fans wont work this time. I wont go into details as my opinion has been shared in many videos already on YouTube.

Has there been any word from Bethesda developers on Fallout 76? These massive discounts for the Holiday Season do little to assuage my cynicism that Bethesda is simply looking to cash in as much as possible and kick this title to the curb within a year like they do all their other titles (unless you count 598 re-releases of Skyrim).

Has there been any word from Bethesda developers on Fallout 76? These massive discounts for the Holiday Season do little to assuage my cynicism that Bethesda is simply looking to cash in as much as possible and kick this title to the curb within a year like they do all their other titles (unless you count 598 re-releases of Skyrim).
No official word that I can find since that open letter on launch day. My guess is they are probably doing damage control, and corporate probably put a gag on employees.

This was done by a studio that lots of people trusted with their lives...
It sounds like you're at least slightly overstating their war crime.

Where will they go from here, I wonder? They need to do a major re-think of their business model.

Where will they go from here, I wonder? They need to do a major re-think of their business model.

Same for BioWare and a handful of other 'bedrock' studios over the last few years. On a side note, I'm not sure how Todd Howard is going to be taken seriously at these announcement gigs anymore… Certainly all of his 9 lives are used at this point.

The sad thing is they want to blame overreach or mission-creep, but in all of these cases it comes down to lack of project coordination & management, combined with an unrealistic schedule.

There are talented people out there capable of making big, quality games. But it seems like everyone working on them goes their separate ways and then they try to slap it all together in crunch time and hope it works.

I gotta admit, this train wreck is getting to be pretty amusing to follow, what a soap opera this is becoming. Maybe the FBI will investigate Bethseda next. Or, crowds of disgruntled gamers will start protesting in front of Bethseda HQ. :biggrin:

Well can't say I'm surprised by this.

Law Firm Investigating Bethesda & Fallout 76 for 'Deceptive Trade Practices'
IMO that can hurt only developers and doesn't deal with the actual problem.
How about a lawsuit against advertising companies (and paid reviews) instead? I don't think a developer who designed something in the game (and sometimes bugged it) is responsible for deception or no refund decisions.

IMO that can hurt only developers and doesn't deal with the actual problem.
How about a lawsuit against advertising companies (and paid reviews) instead? I don't think a developer who designed something in the game (and sometimes bugged it) is responsible for deception or no refund decisions.

I would of course agree if developer means the people who actually produce the game.

"Developer" in the sense of the studio leadership: Nope, they obviously take a share of the guilt.

I stand to my earlier words that I want this to tank so we at least get a chance at a solid single-player TES VI.

So far, so good...

I'm still gob-smacked that they made a game set in West Virginia.

For you non-American forum members, there's NOTHING in West Virginia. Should have been an early clue that this game was gonna be bad.

Back
Top Bottom