Anthem - No Trust in EA

This is not true. Not completely.

George Fan was against scams, sure, but he was fired not because of his attitude - Popcap management simply decided for whatever reason to close some studios and kick out 50 people and he was a part of certain closed studio of theirs.

Sure, if this didn't happen as "normal" company operation, Fan would most probably leave scamware making company on his own.

But there was no EA inhouse inquisition or whichunt. I'm not saying such institution doesn't exist in EA today.

Ah I see. I was going from this roundtable podcast.
https://twitter.com/BaerTaffy/status/931972407988031495

1. He was against the fraud.
2. He got fired.

Note that he didn't say he was fired because of the reason #1. ;)

Also note that I did say while there was no EA inhouse policy back then to get rid of "suspects" who are against frauds, recent years (closing down Bio studio, closing Maxis, forming EA mobile from their remains, etc) suggest that EA today kicks out anyone who's against scams.

1. He was against the fraud.
2. He got fired.

Note that he didn't say he was fired because of the reason #1. ;)

Also note that I did say while there was no EA inhouse policy back then to get rid of "suspects" who are against frauds, recent years (closing down Bio studio, closing Maxis, forming EA mobile from their remains, etc) suggest that EA today kicks out anyone who's against scams.

Unofficially official. Typical weasel tactics.

Meanwhile in Belgium...
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/933102746630107141

The corporate office makes the rules. Follow the rules or they will replace you with someone who will follow the rules. This is also why they (bioware) is stuck using an FPS engine.

Bioware's only good engine is the Infinity Engine.

Bioware's only good engine is the Infinity Engine.

and yet it was a clunky piece of shit that my mighty Pentium 120MHz could only run at a slideshow. Loaded it up on my mates 166MHz and it was still horrible.

I had run games with pre-rendered background scenes before that also had 3D characters with no trouble and yet the Infinity Engine was struggling to display pretty much a big picture and a handful of sprites which even mirrored, at times. It was CRAP. Could have done it all with voxels. I think it's the way it destroys your CPU for pathfinding search nodes.

But, yeah, whats the topic again? EA and Anthem....

My guess would be they'll copy what Destiny2 does. Short main campaign, DLC incoming and probably some extra item mall stuff. The usual, pretty much.

I have trust in Bioware since I have greatly enjoyed every game they have created, with the exception of the MMO (because I don't like MMOs), but I am not looking at Anthem as an auto-buy since it seems to have a focus on multiplayer and I don't know enough else about the game. I will wait and see once it is released.

There’s not a company out there that I can think of that I’ve liked every game they’ve made so trust or loyalty to a company is just silly.

I’ll judge each individual game as they are released by any developer. Developers just don’t matter to me it’s about the games. EA makes some games I like and some I don’t just like CDPR does.

EA is making a ton of money off extra content, including micro-transactions. They won't be changing that formula any time soon. Besides they probably make most of their money off sports games.

EA purchased the NFL license years ago, essentially taking total control of the market and literally freezing out their rival NFL 2K at the time. NFL 2K was a vastly superior product at the time, with features that the Madden series wouldn't have for years to come (as well as being a much more realistic, and just overall better game.) But I guess they also got the karma back for that move as now the NBA 2K series is top dog in the sports arena, whereas it used to be NBA Live (EA's product), which is now in shambles. Madden obviously is still huge, but hopefully when the NFL license expires (I think it was some ludicrious 15 year deal or something), other companies can take a shot at competing NFL games.

Point is, it was shitty to buy an exclusive license so others can't make games because you're scared their games are going to put your games to shame. :)

That said, EA has put out some games I enjoyed and am thankful for. Without EA, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning doesn't happen, as well as others I'm probably forgetting. Beyond that they operate as any old-school, huge evil corporation does in their spot.

And I haven't played an AAA RPG since, well, what? Skyrim? Reckoning? I'm happy with my Kickstarter Era devs, new indie RPGs and even the countless classics that are being buffed up and are accessible today. There are a slew of quality RPGs and games, present and past, and I'd probably be fine without playing an AAA RPG ever again (sans an Elder Scrolls game.) :)

There's a good chance Anthem will be the first BioWare game I won't even buy since their mobile games (Mass Effect Galaxy and Sonic). When it was first announced, I was getting Overwatch vibes from it. Now it's more along the lines of Destiny, but that doesn't really change anything from my point of view.

What I find odd is that EA keeps pushing them in this direction. They're not good at it. A more mainstream, console compatible approach? Sure, they were already doing that before EA bought them. A multiplayer-first, games-as-a-service kind of thing? Not really, as they tend to rely too heavily on gameplay and mechanics, which is not one of BioWare's strengths. They're decent at it, but certainly not among the best.

There’s not a company out there that I can think of that I’ve liked every game they’ve made so trust or loyalty to a company is just silly.

I’ll judge each individual game as they are released by any developer. Developers just don’t matter to me it’s about the games. EA makes some games I like and some I don’t just like CDPR does.

Ignoring your experience would seem to be even more silly.

Blind loyalty and trust is silly - but recognising obvious patterns and learning from the past would seem to be smart.

Also, EA don't make games - they make money on games.

What an article. Shows that the issue is not EA way of working but EA themselves and what they embody.

All it takes is to read the article. The author fails to pin EA.
Self admittance.

The issue is not EA, the issue is as a project, Anthem is too ambitious. Other companies tried a similar product and failed.
Instead of following its own lines, that is no trust in Anthem because of the nature of the project, the article goes that there is no trust to put in EA.

Not even a lighter spin like Anthem is too ambitious to be delivered on, especially when EA pull the strings.

Followed by blames like EA milking the SW franchise as if this franchise waited for EA to involve milking or that EA will sell products in chunks when the crowdfunded scene already does that.

Ignoring your experience would seem to be even more silly.

Blind loyalty and trust is silly - but recognising obvious patterns and learning from the past would seem to be smart.

Also, EA don't make games - they make money on games.

Why do you think I’m ignoring my experiences? My experiences have brought me to my conclusion that trust or loyalty in companies is fruitless.

Take bioware for instance they made BG, NWN, and DAO some of my all time favorite games. They’ve also made DA2 ( utter garbage) ME and JE, none of which I liked at all.

So patterns and past experiences tell me thier next game will be somewhere between one of the best games I’ve ever played and utter garbage. ( which is pretty useless) So instead of putting any trust or loyalty in to them as a company I think it’s far more helpful to just judge each game on its own merits.

This applies to other companies just the same. cDPR, really liked Witcher 1, didn’t care for 2 at all and found 3 to be mediocre except for the excellent side quests.

Bethesda, morrowind was Ok, didn’t like oblivion and found Skyrim to be there best game ( if heavily modded).

And on and on for each company.

Why do you think I’m ignoring my experiences? My experiences have brought me to my conclusion that trust or loyalty in companies is fruitless.

Why do you think I think you do?

I'm talking about the experiences with EA of other people.

Take bioware for instance they made BG, NWN, and DAO some of my all time favorite games. They’ve also made DA2 ( utter garbage) ME and JE, none of which I liked at all.

So patterns and past experiences tell me thier next game will be somewhere between one of the best games I’ve ever played and utter garbage. ( which is pretty useless) So instead of putting any trust or loyalty in to them as a company I think it’s far more helpful to just judge each game on its own merits.

This applies to other companies just the same. cDPR, really liked Witcher 1, didn’t care for 2 at all and found 3 to be mediocre except for the excellent side quests.

Bethesda, morrowind was Ok, didn’t like oblivion and found Skyrim to be there best game ( if heavily modded).

And on and on for each company.

Which means you agree that it's silly to look at things in a vaccuum and instead it would be wise to use your experience with whatever we're talking about.

In this case, people have a certain experience with EA - and yet you're suggesting they should look at things as if EA didn't fit into a pattern.

I'm not sure how that all fits together, but to each his own.

Personally, I think most companies fit a pattern like that - but there's a big difference between developers and publishers.

I like to recognise patterns and I don't think it's wise to ignore them and pretend each new release is by people I have no experience with.

Why do you think I think you do?

I'm talking about the experiences with EA of other people.

Which means you agree that it's silly to look at things in a vaccuum and instead it would be wise to use your experience with whatever we're talking about.

In this case, people have a certain experience with EA - and yet you're suggesting they should look at things as if EA didn't fit into a pattern.

I'm not sure how that all fits together, but to each his own.

Personally, I think most companies fit a pattern like that - but there's a big difference between developers and publishers.

I like to recognise patterns and I don't think it's wise to ignore them and pretend each new release is by people I have no experience with.

I just assumed since you replied to me that you were talking about me. Guess not. Seems like we totally agree. Then. Great.

I just assumed since you replied to me that you were talking about me. Guess not. Seems like we totally agree. Then. Great.

I was talking about your irrational point of view as stated.

I'm glad you wised up in the meantime, however ;)

Back
Top Bottom