Tainted Grail - Becoming Two Separate Games

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest update for Tainted Grail announces that it is becoming two separate games. Additionally the games visuals are being improved.

Last week to get 2 in 1... and other news!

TWO SEPARATE GAMES

You could've noticed that some things have changed on our store page. Yes, thanks to your support and positive feedback we've decided to split Tainted Grail into two separate products - Conquest and The Fall of Avalon.

It will be easier for us during development, it will be easier for new players to understand what they're getting, and it will be easier to prevent confusion of players who thought they're playing an RPG and ended up playing a roguelike.

Two important things, though:

2. If you still want to get both games for the price of one - you can do it until the next Friday, the 27th of November.

Any purchases made after that date will be only for Conquest.

The game's price will be reduced but after 27th you'd have to buy these games separately (and the campaign mode isn't yet available).

So, here's a Steam page for Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon if you're interested in wishlisting ;)

And now, let's get to...

NEWS

PLANS FOR THE FUTURE

So, as promised last week, we have a couple of gameplay-related things to share about the future of Conquest.

Improved Visuals

We're still in the process of moving the entire game to a new rendering pipeline. This caused A LOT of issues and we're still fighting with them and figuring out how to approach certain challenges. But every single day we're seeing insane improvements to the way the game looks and feels.

[...]
More information.

While improved visuals are always nice, this does not sound like a project that is going well.

Da fuq ?

And if this is to blame someone, blame the users. After all, "(…) thanks to your support and positive feedback we've decided to split Tainted Grail into two separate products (…)". You customers are asking for this, right? RIGHT?

Also, "(…) it will be easier to prevent confusion of players who thought they're playing an RPG and ended up playing a roguelike." Ha, if the players are really mistaking a genre for another, this is more a problem of poor communication than anything else.

Are there any genres they missed, or have they pretty much covered them all? Is there going to be racing?

Well the board game is really interesting, although it has some issues. It might actually work better as a single player computer game in many ways. It's not a deckbuilding game like slay the spire, but you do have a deck of cards that represent your powers and you can swap them out with better cards as you gain xp.

Having a roguelike mode seems odd at first because the board game is definitely not roguelike. On the other hand it does have some mechanics that might work pretty well in a roguelike game. So maybe it's not so crazy? I guess we will have to see how it goes.

Having never been interested in this game all I can say is meh.
Still I agree with henriquejr's post above.:party:

Very odd decision... keeping both wish-listed for now.

It looked neat for a minute and then I read "deck-building" and "roguelike".

It's probably not for me.

Iirc, the original KS did not lay this out to be a roguelike - and in the very first alpha I played, it wasn't.

Then they added roguelike elements - and then they split it into two play modes - and now they're splitting it into two games.

Seems like a complete mess of decisions to me - which is a shame because I thought the original alpha was pretty promising. I have no idea why/who wanted them to go down the roguelike path, especially since, imo, the board game isn't a roguelike.

Iirc, the original KS did not lay this out to be a roguelike - and in the very first alpha I played, it wasn't.

Then they added roguelike elements - and then they split it into two play modes - and now they're splitting it into two games.

Seems like a complete mess of decisions to me - which is a shame because I thought the original alpha was pretty promising. I have no idea why/who wanted them to go down the roguelike path, especially since, imo, the board game isn't a roguelike.

I didn't realize this was crowdfunded. I'd be pretty pissed if I was one of those backers who kicked in based on the original concept presented by the developers. It sounds like a completely different game now.

I didn't realize this was crowdfunded. I'd be pretty pissed if I was one of those backers who kicked in based on the original concept presented by the developers. It sounds like a completely different game now.

Just for clarity and to be fair to them, the KS was for the board game and they funded so well that they added a video game too, so people were pledging really just for the board game.

Just for clarity and to be fair to them, the KS was for the board game and they funded so well that they added a video game too, so people were pledging really just for the board game.

Interesting. So was this a video game developer doing a board game, or did they hire a separate team to create Conquest and Fall of Avalon?

Interesting. So was this a video game developer doing a board game, or did they hire a separate team to create Conquest and Fall of Avalon?

They are a board game company (Awaken Realms) and are quite well known in that space and the KS did something like 6 million, so this got added on as a stretch goal I think and they hired a different team/developer to do the video game.

Back
Top Bottom