Witcher 3 - Video Review @ Worth A Buy

One thing I do have an issue with is Geralt automatically switching targets when fighting multiple enemies. For instance, if I'm fighting a group of wolves and he suddenly spins around to attack another wolf when I was about to finish off one that's already low on health.

I suppose I could avoid that by just using the lock-target key, but I've never liked using that because it rarely helps when facing multiple opponents.

I would agree with that. I use lock on extensively and while it will fix that problem its hard to use because when fighting groups it seems like the one you lock on to will fade to the back of the pack forcing you to unlock and then lock on to whoever comes closer or chase the guy your locked on too.
I'm not sure if that's AI or just my over active imagination.

There's some flaws but really overall its a great game and its CDPR so I feel confident they will fix any short comings. Even though they could get by with the game just as it is now and be very successful.

i think the guy's commentary is just funny, agree with it or not. The dwarf fightin the Griffin had me in stitches

The combat system serves its purpose in TW3.

TW3 is a product about story and therefore representation.
The combat system design must serve that finality.

It is all about being represented as a PC who NPCs should not mess around with, about teaching them a lesson.

In this regard, building up a gameplay requiring skills from the player is counter-productive. That would destroy the illusion.
The player must be given access quickly to a PC that dominates NPCs with style.
Or the representation is destroyed.

Impossible to give so called RPGers what they crave for if it requires a modicum of skills.

TW3 combat system serves its purpose: an igni sign and watch the misled NPC feel the burn of its mistake, an axii sign, and the NPC is gifted with unconciousness to savour the last seconds of its life before being beheaded with style.

That's because you use axii on mobs with shield - just like me.
If you didn't, you just roll behind them then hit.

I also don't use rolls at all. Just doubletaps to dodge. Maybe there are mobs you just have to roll far away for some reason, but so far haven't actually seen any. Too early in the game to know for sure.

I agree with his sentiment; but not his final conclusion. This why I liked divinity so much (compared to PE or wasteland). The gameplay was fantastic. I felt witcher 2 was 'dumbed down' compared to witcher 1 and this is even more dumbed down than witcher 2 (and the keyboard interface is worse).
-
Let me repeat - I agree with the general sentiment but not the final conclusion. The game is a decent game but it could be so much better with better pc gameplay. This will likely be my last cdprojek full price purchase until they fix the pc gameplay in their games. If they want to focus on the consoles that is fine but then i will wait on the pc games when (if) I buy them.

Just wait a year for lower price, more stable game and mods for better PC GUI. If devs are not gonna do a good PC GUI, then I only bargain buy later on when IRS patched.

That's because you use axii on mobs with shield - just like me.
If you didn't, you just roll behind them then hit.

I also don't use rolls at all. Just doubletaps to dodge. Maybe there are mobs you just have to roll far away for some reason, but so far haven't actually seen any. Too early in the game to know for sure.

I can dodge behind them and hit without axii.

I can dodge behind them and hit without axii.

I can't. That's why I abuse axii. Everywhere I can. :)

Just wait a year for lower price, more stable game and mods for better PC GUI. If devs are not gonna do a good PC GUI, then I only bargain buy later on when IRS patched.
If you expect Original Sin UI, you'll wait for a long long time.

Personally, I think the combat system in TW3 is best it's ever been for the series. It allows plenty of flexibility. And I love how utilitarian the signs are. I just noticed you can use Aard to blow those toxic clouds that hang around the swamps. Before this I would always light them on fire, and sometimes blow myself up also. :D

The best thing they did imo, is separating the short/flanking dodge from the long roll. Great design choice. And somehow that dodge almost always manages to position me in an advantageous position where I can continue to wail on my foes. Love it when it all flows so naturally. One thing I've not been using, and mean to get better at, is parrying and counter-attacking. I didn't notice but, can you parry enemies that don't have weapons?

You can't parry all mobs. Tried it on some, didn't work. Didn't try on everything, for example wolves because those are too easy. :D

I never roll in combat dodge always seems to be enough, or am I missing something?

I mainly use dodge. I only use roll if I need to create a little distance.

What's wrong with the GUI? It's not the best but I didn't find it to be terrible.

Yeah, go on Saxon, tell us?

From his own comments, the author of this video apparently considers Skyrim and Chivalry as paragons of K+M combat, hmm…. why am I not surprised that he's "fighting" so awkwardly when reviewing (cough) the W3 and claiming its combat system to be clunky?

The review does not make that claim of paramounts. Skyrim makes a better use of K&M.

The core of TW3 combat system is hitting repeatively the opponent. Very basic.
Then, all the other functions come to dress and gives some esthetics to the resolution of a fight. They are not needed other than making the fight more acceptable in cosmetic terms.
A combat system for poseurs.

One big question for TES since this type of combat turns out the new standard: how is it going to influence the next episode?
Is Bethesda going to adopt the same kind of combat system?

T
The core of TW3 combat system is hitting repeatively the opponent. Very basic.

Basic compared to what? Combat in this game is very different from many other action RPG's. For example the enemies doesn't wait until their turn (very common in these games), they work together, and if you go in and just try button mashing against 5+ enemies you will fail miserably (unless you play on difficulty setting 1 or 2, but even on 2 it can be difficult). Timing is very important here, more so than in most RPG's.

TES has a far more simplistic combat system. Also i wouldn't say this game set a new standard, Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls) did set a new standard that will hopefully inspire more developers.

Basic compared to itself.
1v1 is the starting point, 1v2,1v3 etc are recombinings.
Usually, it is easy to put oneself back to 1v1 conditions, even though the game includes a lot of dressing to stage fights against multiple enemies.

Timings are extremelly loose by the way, as underlined in the vid.

A point raised by the video review: how friendly TW3 is to streamers. Which is going to be an increasingly important feature in video products.

After a few reports, CDR hit that goal with success: TW3 is over $1000 money runs.

Of course, this helps a great deal in the perception of the products by streamers. Much better a poor product allowing to ban in over $1000 than a good game that only rakes in $100.

A point raised by the video review: how friendly TW3 is to streamers.
Twitch decided to ban mature videos.
So... The point should be raised in some review about twitch service.

Never heard of that stuff.
Commonly, the usual warning, content is intended for mature viewers, is used.

They banned some adult only rated products. They chase down anyone with IP infringements etc

Beside, with the current average content on twitch, hard to see what a mature stuff could add. The immature content does it already.

Back
Top Bottom