Telepath Tactics - Review @ Gamebanshee

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gamebanshee has reviewed Telepath Tactics to find it being a mixed bag.

For the most part, Telepath Tactics is a fine budget title. The campaign works well, and you're given plenty of motivation to defeat the Shadowling boss at the end. The characters ended up being more involving than I expected, especially with so many of them hanging around. And while the 2D graphics and background music aren't anything special, they get the job done, and there is some variety to them. For example, you end up fighting in lava-filled caves, frozen tundras, and balmy island jungles.

But Telepath Tactics has an awful flaw -- the save system. Basically put, you're not allowed to save during the missions. In theory, this isn't something I disagree with. I don't like it when games allow you to save during battles because it cheapens the end result. But unfortunately, Telepath Tactics has some things in common with the X-COM games, where your characters start out very fragile, and it's easy for them to die. That makes the first third of the campaign thoroughly frustrating, since it's sort of okay for characters to die, but you're not sure how much leeway you really have, and so just about any death means restarting. I must have played the early missions of the campaign at least three times each just to get an acceptable result, and that amount of repetition isn't any fun.
More information.

Unfortunately at the moment I have to warn people away from this.

The game hits my nostalgic sweet spot perfectly, but 45 minutes in I ran into a bug that simply meant I had to stop -- my equipped weapons were just vanishing whenever I reloaded a save. Oops.

I like the game, and as soon as this is fixed I'll strongly recommend it, but as yet the devs haven't given a timeframe for the bug (which is apparently new).

Or rather, the Dev.

1. Who is Sinister Design?
At the moment, Sinister Design is a one-man outfit consisting of Craig Stern, plus whatever contractors he’s able to bring on board.

Back
Top Bottom