Civilization:Beyond earth announced

Firaxis Games released the Civilization Beyond Earth intro cinematic.

2K and Firaxis Games have revealed the intro cinematic for the new PC game, Civilization Beyond Earth, which you can see in this trailer.

The (second?) golden age of Turn Based Combat continues!

Alpha Centauri is probably my favorite turn-based strategy game of all time, so I am pretty jazzed about this.

Alright lets get started with a new update for thread. Up first I have a new a new interview from Venture Beat to share with the games two Lead Designers.
David McDonough and Will Miller would like you to know that they ripped parts of Civilization: Beyond Earth from other games.

“We play a lot of games here. We didn’t invent a lot of the things in Beyond Earth,” Miller said. The pair are the lead designers on Firaxis’ latest game, which takes the acclaimed 4X strategy Civilization series (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) into space on PC Oct. 24. “We don’t ever design in a vacuum, and it’s cool we don’t have to.”
I also found a few new reviews for the game. Eurogamer.net, Gaming Nexus, PC Gamer, and Polygon. So enjoy as I can't wait to play the game this week.

Last edited:
This game is awesome. It is Civ 5 minus religion added quests and real control over the direction of your civilization.

Well, it's preloading as we speak - but I'm not really expecting much more than a glorified Civ V mod.

Firaxis Games released the Civilization Beyond Earth intro cinematic.

Great trailer! Got my heart bumping, love the music and narrative in that trailer :) Truth to be told I haven't been this excited of a new civ game for a long time.

Since I started playing Paradox strategy games I lost all interest in Civilization (and related) games, so not much for this.
I play them both as each developer makes different types of strategy games.:)

Also Thanks for posting the new video I'll give it a watch right now.:party:

GameSpot's review isn't so happy (but still happy enough for me).

Here is something that might interest a few of you as it seems the Steam page for Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth is offering a free playable demo to download.

I'm playing around with it a bit. For whatever strange reason, monitors with over a 60Hz refresh rate have to play in windowed mode and they stuck Depth of Field into the game. Patches should hopefully fix the former and give an easy way to turn off the latter (other than going into the ini file).

I need to get back to Blackguards, though.

I had been holding off buying Endless Legend after Aubrielle's good review on it just to see what the Beyond Earth reviews were like and after reading a bunch of them today Endless Legend seems to be the game for me.

Since I started playing Paradox strategy games I lost all interest in Civilization (and related) games, so not much for this.
Paradox strategy games sit on a gameplay niche. It becomes more and more obvious as the years go by.
Their settings allow some resolution of problems that other similar branches in the genre have not yet managed to solve.

Project Pandora tried to bring some solutions to some long dated 4x problems. But they failed.

Endless legend did not even try, they embraced the classical design. As a result, their product and the gameplay coming with it suffer from very deep problems. They have kept patching very fast and the consequent patches reveam they had no clues on handling the issues properly.

I dont know about this last civilization episode. Wont try for some time as spending 40 hours to evaluate Endless legends killed my patience for that sort of settings for some time.

Paradox games come with a filled configuration, there are few empty places to expand freely on. This strong specific makes it totally different and helps them to balance out the way they do and keep improving on.

Project Pandora tries to emulate that in a way, but they failed.

This is on what Paradox sits: outside this niche, other studios have failed so far to bring answers to issues.
It might mean in the end that no answer cant be found until you copy the configuration used by Paradox's games.
Do what Paradox do or face the same issues.

Well, I've only tried it briefly. It really does seem like a simplified and reskinned Civ 5 - but it's hard to know without actually playing it more.

I've been sick of the worker/settler/soldier one-unit paradigm in Civ since Civ II - and I never understood why they didn't learn from Call to Power, which improved a lot of the micromanagement hell of Civ.

But it still looks pretty good if you're into the genre, I'd say.

I completed 1 game on small map so these are my early impressions.

Good stuff:

More hostile environment makes early game lot more interesting.

Lot more options to specialize your nation.

Bad stuff:
For testing purpose I played on difficulty where neither AI nor player gets bonuses(second lowest difficulty that says a lot about AI) and again AI is just poor.Even casual player wouldn't have trouble beating it.

Killing everything on the map seems lot easier than any other victory goal(Civ 5 had same problem)

Overall I think this should have been 20€ standalone expansion not full priced game.

I completed 1 game on small map so these are my early impressions.

Good stuff:

More hostile environment makes early game lot more interesting.

Lot more options to specialize your nation.

Bad stuff:
For testing purpose I played on difficulty where neither AI nor player gets bonuses(second lowest difficulty that says a lot about AI) and again AI is just poor.Even casual player wouldn't have trouble beating it.

Killing everything on the map seems lot easier than any other victory goal(Civ 5 had same problem)

Overall I think this should have been 20€ standalone expansion not full priced game.

Yes the the ai is dumb as a brick.

The only thing that's really bothering me about the game so far is that I can't pick the factions to play against. You'll fight them all and that's that - unless I'm missing some advanced option somewhere. (I think Alpha Centauri was the same way, actually.)

The only thing that's really bothering me about the game so far is that I can't pick the factions to play against. You'll fight them all and that's that - unless I'm missing some advanced option somewhere. (I think Alpha Centauri was the same way, actually.)

They obviously restricted the # of factions from the core game so they can sell a whole bunch of DLCs with new factions.

Back
Top Bottom