EA revives Ultima brand

Moorkh

little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
...and rather spits in our faces doing so:

"Lord of Ultima" (complete with the classic Ultima font), developed by EA Phenomic, appears to be a simple browser "strategy" game, where you build up a settlement and have limited interaction with other players doing the same.

If you REALLY care, you can try to log into the beta (use your EA account) but the server is currently full: www.lordofultima.com/en

Screenshots are here: http://www.gamona.de/games/lord-of-ultima:game,1660252.html#-

Alternatively, petiton EA to do something worthwhile with the brand here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/ultima10/

:p

Looking at the screenshots I wouldn't mind to have a graphically enhanced version of Ultima I. :)

what an insult to the ultima name…………

I think only RG / LB could do something worthwile with Ultima.

I had heard a rumor they were bringing the name to a DS RPG... guess it was wrong. Richard Garriot's biggest mistake was trying to move mainstream, and go for the big money, and selling his creation to EA. If he'd been wise, it would have only been licensed so EA couldn't steal it.

He needs to come back to basics, and design a new RPG of his own again. His name on the box would drive sales to most RPG players. Just this time make sure it doesn't end up owned by some crooks.

He needs to come back to basics, and design a new RPG of his own again. His name on the box would drive sales to most RPG players. Just this time make sure it doesn't end up owned by some crooks.

Not sure that would ever happen. Richard has always been in full fledged MMO land for as long back as I can remember. Even back when he was just making single-player games I remember him talking about how he wanted to make the a game that had a thriving community and the possibilities of creating games where everyone played the game together (before Ultima Online). Well he got his wish and made it, while leaving the rest of us behind. You couldn't think that they could of done both? Keep the regular Ultima series independent of the UO series?

Doesn't really matter anyways. He's gone and not coming back.

I had heard a rumor they were bringing the name to a DS RPG… guess it was wrong.

You sure that wasn't Might & Magic? There's a M & M DS tactical RPG out now.

Shame I only played the 1st 2 Ultima games and so long ago I barely remember.

Tried playing VII, but could not deal with the awkward graphical perspective and eyestrain-inducing font. More than that, had to play it with dosbox and kept having technical issues.

But what I want is Wizardry 9 :)

You sure that wasn't Might & Magic? There's a M & M DS tactical RPG out now.)

Not only that, according to some sources it is one of the better recent handheld RPG's! I am actually getting a late review copy in the mail this week ... so I will chime in on that.

I don't see much of a problem here. Phenomic goes both forward (browser, MP) and back to the roots (Settlers, SpellForce). They use EA's Ultima brand for it. Fine, if it makes them happy. So far everything these guys made was quite decent. I suspect this strategy game will also be okay. It's just no Ultima.

On a sidenote, I'm happy to see Phenomic is still alive. The commercial failure of their MP strategy card game Battleforge easily could have killed them in EA's situation.

And to top it off, it looks like a rip off of the old 7 Kingdoms game, anyone remember that one?

What a Waste!!

Not sure right now Relayer. My schedule changed, so I'm stuck trying to adapt from a 8am start to a 3pm start. My mind is shot. Hopefully, I'll be laid off, so I don't have to deal with it.

At any rate, RG could still do a MMO then. He's probably still got the clout to pull in a few backers financially; and a solid fanbase once things get rolling.

What a horribly written petition. "Ultima 10 could be the best game ever!" And btw, the title of Ultima V is "Warriors of Destiny".

I agree, although I like the general idea, it reads a bit funny.

My favorite part was….

If Ultima 1-7 is anything to go by, Ultima 10 could really be better than Diablo, Starcraft, or even Half-Life.

:lol:

So judging by several very old games, a U10 would be better than several games in completely different markets?

And yeah, if U4-7 is used as an inspiration and guide for a new series; a new Ultima has potential. But it's EA we're talking about, so it'll turn into a first person shoot with swords, and lacking real dedicated servers for online play.

Back
Top Bottom