Rebel Galaxy - Space In My Heart?

Aubrielle

Noveliste
In "Will There Ever Be A Space Game I Want to Play?", RPS's John Walker starts out cynical about Rebel Galaxy, then changes his tune.

I think this process has helped me better analyse what it is I do want from a space game. It sure as hell isn’t shopping and spreadsheets. I think what I want is the basics here, minus the trading, and with one hell of a dose of story. The narrative in Rebel Galaxy is some absolute dross about a missing aunt, a mysterious object containing an AI who’s lost her memory (FFS), and it pretends that your replies make a difference. The idea of having something like a Mass Effect plot, but where my primary roll isn’t trotting about on the ground and hiding behind waist-high walls, but flying about in my Firefly-class ship, blowing up baddies (or goodies) and looting the crap out of the universe. But with some motivation! Some reason for doing it, beyond a feeble nothingness like here, or the “freeform, open world” excuse used by so many other space shopping games.

And without a single fucking spreadsheet, thankyouverymuch. I’m putting off doing my real life taxes just fine on my own.

As for Rebel Galaxy, well, you’d do well to read Brendy’s review of it from a couple of months back, and I largely agree with his complaints (other than the music, the darned fool). Although I think the game he’d prefer would be wildly different than the one I’m after. I’m in no way interested in the ludicrous complexity and anonymity of Elite. Perhaps, maybe, one day someone will create a story-driven space game with fighty-fighty ships. But I fear if they do, they’ll fill it full of spreadsheets, because bloody hell, they always do.
More information.

More information.

Love the article as I haven't enjoyed a space game since Freelancer. Some games have come close, but many like the article said use poor controls, or spreadsheets.

Rebel Galaxy is a really great game. It's unpolished and there's not enough content, but it's just fun. And the soundtrack is incredible.

Love the article as I haven't enjoyed a space game since Freelancer. Some games have come close, but many like the article said use poor controls, or spreadsheets.

A lot of people rave about that game. Freelancer, that is. One of my friends would not leave me alone until I had to get the game and try it. I find it interesting, but find the controls horrifically bad. I couldn't get into it at all.

I liked Freelancer because it reminded me of Privater. But I really wanted Freelancer to be an improved Privater, it didn't quite get there but was good for a single play-through. Freelancer didn't have the openness that Privater did but I think there is a mod that seeks to add it.

Ah, Freelancer... You can barely find that game these days. Neither Steam nor GOG carry it, and none of the other digital platforms either AFAIK. Very sad. :(

"I’m in no way interested in the ludicrous complexity and anonymity of Elite."

I guess this is where I differ from the average gamer, now that gaming has gone mainstream. Firstly, I wouldn't call Elite: Dangerous' complexity ludicrous. They have made what amounts to a genuine character-development system that is better than most found in modern RPGs. Your ship is your character, and you have lots of choices in how to build it. You can't just slap on whatever. You can't have everything. You have to make real and difficult choices that come with consequences and downsides. But I also enjoy combat simulators, like Rise of Flight. Elite: Dangerous has a touch of that flavor. And, yes, you aren't the hero saving the galaxy in Elite. The real downside to the game overall is that it is grindy as hell. It's most definitely an MMO in that regard, even if you play in solo mode.

And I also enjoyed Freelancer, which is much more arcadey than Elite. But, man, did I play the hell out of Privateer. Would be nice to see Freelancer on GOG.

I almost bought Rebel Galaxy, but it appeared to be a bit too shallow for me.

Last edited:
I wish I could play Elite: Dangerous. As it turns out, it's ABSURDLY hard to play, even with a gamepad or Dualshock controller. I think you need that big flight stick joystick thing for this one.

Rebel Galaxy may not have quite the depth of E: D, but at least you can play with kb+m. :)

I know there are people who play Elite: Dangerous with the keyboard and mouse. Not sure how easy or difficult that is. I do find a joystick to be useful. Wouldn't want to fly without one myself, but I also enjoy flight simulators. :)

If you ever feel like taking the plunge into the retro world of joysticks, I think just about any would do. Elite does have a lot of controls and lots of buttons are quite handy. I found this stick to be affordable and quite serviceable...and it has a separate throttle, which is nice. I used that for a long time before finally upgrading. More buttons!

Now I can't stop thinking about space games. I do so love me a good space game.

Perhaps the best space game no one ever played is Tachyon: The Fringe. Good story, as I recall, where you have to choose a side early on. So, good replayability at least once, as there are essentially two stories. Good dogfights. More of a shooter than my next pick below. At least a semi-open world. Can't quite recall the details of how that worked exactly, but I seem to remember it wasn't strictly linear. Good voice acting by Bruce Campbell.

And then one of my personal favorites, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos. Challenging combat. Good story and voice acting. Open world. The story is compelling, but you don't have to follow it, like an Elder Scrolls game. Get you base and crew, and you can just go about pirating, selling and crafting to your heart's content. A good bet for a Privateer fan. More complicated than Freelancer, as I recall, but well worth the extra effort. Some of the missions aren't explained that well in game, as I remember (I'm looking at you, stupid stealth mission where I have to steal power rods or some such thing.), so you might have to refer to a guide on the Web.

Both of these games are very immersive and well worth your time.

If you ever feel like taking the plunge into the retro world of joysticks, I think just about any would do. Elite does have a lot of controls and lots of buttons are quite handy. I found this stick to be affordable and quite serviceable…and it has a separate throttle, which is nice. I used that for a long time before finally upgrading. More buttons!

I own that one. I was playing Strike Suit Zero with a mouse/kb but my kb wrist started to hurt like hell (strain caused by playing GW2) and I wanted an HOTAS for Star Citizen but didn't want to go for the expensive stuff in case I didn't like using HOTAS.

For more buttons, I got my Logitech G13 now.

Perhaps the best space game no one ever played is Tachyon: The Fringe.

I love that game. It's one of the few game box I kept. Interesting storyline, good missions (with success/fail results in general), two factions to join and chirpy Bruce Campbell. Story heavy for a space sim though and quite old now. I didn't know it was on Steam.

For more buttons, I got my Logitech G13 now.

Went with a Saitek x-55 HOTAS myself. That G13 thing looks pretty practical…if I could remember what all those buttons do. Might miss the throttle and toggle switches, though.

I didn't know it was on Steam.

I didn't either, until I Googled it while writing my post. I don't know where my old disc is, so I bought it on Steam just today. :p

Looking forward to playing it finally! Heard so much good about this game and following the updates on Steam!

Thanks, Huggy! The price isn't bad at all for that one, and I'm sure it would make E: D tons easier...

Back
Top Bottom