What games are you playing now?

I'm thinking The Longest Journey next, I remember that getting good reviews.

Many adventure games players consider TLJ as a true classic.
Dreamfall would be the sequel of it.
A third game will hopefully come at one point - unfortunately nothing is certain.

The longest journey is a very good game. Good story, good characters, nice art style (although from a technical point of view the game has aged relatively poorly), good voice acting and an interesting setting. It is one of those must play adventure games, just expect to listen to a lot of dialogue.

Its sequel, Dreamfall, has action scenes and is, by adventure game puritans, not considered a pure adventure game, but don't let that stop you, it is still an excellent game!

Other games worth considering:
Syberia 1 & 2 (needs to be played in order). I found Syberia to be better than TLJ, due to its puzzles. I also loved the art style. There is a collection of the two Syberia games and Amerzone (an earlier game by the same people) called Syberia collection that you should be able to find for about 12€. Amerzone is not nearly as good as Syberia, but it is still worth playing through (it is an incredibly easy and short game, I finished it in just over 2h)
Myst: Not at all like Sanitarium or The longest journey, but I love it (the puzzles are great in the myst series!)
The last express: This one is a bit different from the normal adventure game. Most AGs are strictly linear, offering a single solution in a rather static world, the last express offers multiple solutions in a constantly changing world (people move about on the train, doing what you would expect people to do). One of the finest adventure games of all time.

Icewind dale 2. I've had the game for a while now (got it in a collection), so that is what I'll spend a bit of time with now.

Great game.. but I guess you could say that about all the Infinity Engine games.

I'm still playing Divine Divinity off and on... starting to think this game is a little too long.

I gave up on New Vegas - though I might get back to it. Just couldn't hold my interest.

I'm contemplating a full BG1/2 (with expansions) playthrough - though I don't know how I'll find the time to stay focused on it. Never got very far in BG2 - and I've always wanted to finish it. I suspect I won't like it that much, as it's supposed to be a lot more linear than the first game - but I should at least try.

Other than that, I think I'm "all gamed out" until Skyrim and beyond.

DE:HR did something to my gaming requirements. I think I've realised that I'm tired of playing old (or even recent) classics, regardless of whether I've ever finished them or not. Even new or recent great games don't seem to excite me, if they're not treading new ground.

I want more evolution!!! ;)

Last edited:
I'm still playing Divine Divinity off and on… starting to think this game is a little too long.

I absolutely *love* DivDiv, but agree that it is a massive undertaking - the dungeons can get physically exhausting!

Still cruising through Nox, but also playing Machinarium on the iPad. Hadn't played since it first came out ... wonderful little game!

I agree that the dungeons were a bit too big.
And the wastelands also.

Of Syberia, there is also a "Deluxe" version out there - at least I've seen it here.

I don't have Amerzone either.
Will look out for this collection.

I'm back to playing Starcraft: Brood Wars, after finishing Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I was stuck on mission 8 of the Zerg campaign. But managed to somehow stave off overwhelming retaliation attacks, and finish the mission. This was a very frustrating and obsessive experience, but satisfying, even though I must have hit the reload button 20 times. I wonder if it was skill or luck that eventually allowed me to win. Probably both.

I finished the 9th mission, and can now play the last mission. But I think I will replay mission 9, even though it has a dreaded time limit. I finished it with literally only seconds to spare. If I can beat it with 5 minutes to spare, it unlocks a bonus mission. Of course, I have to unlock it and play it even though I will hate the challenge of getting the spare minutes. ;)

Great game.. but I guess you could say that about all the Infinity Engine games.
I agree, well almost ;) The first Baldur's gate never managed to impress me, with its inverted difficulty curve and rather uninteresting story, but all the other Infinity engine games are great.

I finished the 9th mission, and can now play the last mission. But I think I will replay mission 9, even though it has a dreaded time limit. I finished it with literally only seconds to spare. If I can beat it with 5 minutes to spare, it unlocks a bonus mission. Of course, I have to unlock it and play it even though I will hate the challenge of getting the spare minutes. ;)

Trust me, it's worth it. The secret mission is pretty cool. Just use a cheat if you need to.

I agree, well almost ;) The first Baldur's gate never managed to impress me, with its inverted difficulty curve and rather uninteresting story, but all the other Infinity engine games are great.

Well I have to respectfully disagree about BG1, on both of those aspects. :)

I'm thinking The Longest Journey next

I very rarely play Adventure games because they usually just don't appeal to me, and I loved The Longest Journey. That should probably say something about the quality of that game if a non-adventure fan can enjoy it so much ;)

Trust me, it's worth it. The secret mission is pretty cool. Just use a cheat if you need to.

I think I wasted a lot of time building up enough vespene and minerals to add 3 more guardians to the initial 2 to take out the southern base. Plus it was sort of a slow process. If I just rush the base with most of all my starting troops I should save a bunch of time, and get a higher vesepne rate earlier, which should allow more upgrades and zerglings earlier. A little riskier but I think necessary, without resorting to other tricks.

I finally decided (nearly on an impulse) to make a gog account. I hadn't bother with it until now because I already have most of their games I am interested in - and no trouble getting them to work when I want to. But it seems I'll be finally playing 'The Pandora Directive' today. I have no idea why I didn't play any of the Tex Murphy games back when they were new.

Are you starting with the Pandora Directive? While it is the best Tex Murphy game, it is the 4th in the series. I usually tell people to start with Under a killing moon (the 3rd game in the series), which is where the series gets good.

Are you starting with the Pandora Directive? While it is the best Tex Murphy game, it is the 4th in the series. I usually tell people to start with Under a killing moon (the 3rd game in the series), which is where the series gets good.

Yeah, I thought about that. I understand that the Pandora Directive is generally considered at least marginally better than the rest and I haven't seen any indications that I might be missing any crucial information if I start with it. So, since I don't know if it's going to appeal to me enough to play a second game, I though I may as well start with the best.

Back
Top Bottom