What games are you playing now? - Page 602 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

May 17th, 2019, 14:19
Decided to uninstall NMS, nothing left for me to do there except building bases which isn't fun like house building in Sims.
Because of recent Pathfinder and Grimshade playthrough, and I'm waiting Fell Seal to get polished a bit more…

I needed something different from all of them so I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider couple of days ago. The full (Croft) edition.
And I have no idea why critics were harsh towards it. Everything in it so far is fun and there aren't (at least doesn't seem there are) rubbish online survival modes like in it's predecessor. Wait… No mmo. Sometimes you need to write things to realize something. Of course in today's world critics pan if not mmo. Idiots.

So far the main story is interesting, there are sidequests with nice rewards, challenges aren't annoying as in previous entires but are finally used as filler variety to do in a world. The world where trashmobs respawn indefinetly. That's the game's biggest sin so far, but luckily, most of trashmobs ignore you so you as well ignore them and actually play the game instead of grind the game.
An example of a challenge is shooting 5 barrels of flamable content. Explosions are fun (unless overdone like in Bay's movies) and these barrels are painted red and scattered accross the jungle which is all green so you can spot them from a moon. Sounds mundane, but hell I loved completing that "challenge".

Performance is smooth on my side (probably thanks to GTX1070) except at some spots a microstutter happens on loading which is acceptable if you ask me (noticed only two such points on the map). The game has motion blur turned on by default so make sure you switch that bullshit off before starting the game.

Something not seen elsewhere is voiceovers mixture. You can turn one langueage vo for everyone, but can also opt to keep an appropriate language on people depending on their location. So Lara will speak english while NPCs will speak spanish if in Peru for example. Yes, subtitles will still be all in one language. I love it.

The difficulty is chosen separately for combat, puzzles and exploration. Won't detail all differences, but you need to know is that combat if set on easy provides autoaim. I'd kiss whomever dev who finally understands why mushrooms sukk and why is autoaim=easy.
k+m controls are awsome. Absolutely nowhere I felt something is mapped on a wrong key. Well, except deep diving where you need to hold w, press space when on an edge of certain spots above water, then hold c. Since this is just an optional effect, I won't be holding grudge on it.

Can't wait to return to it.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; May 17th, 2019 at 14:30.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#12021

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,531
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 17th, 2019, 15:18
After finishing Cosmic Star Heroine, I fully intended to fire up Dragon Quest eleven and dive full in. However, while I was downloading the game, my eyes wandered around and saw Cthulhu Save the World, which I first played six years ago and never replayed…..so, I started my first ever replay of the game. Maybe Dragon Quest will get its' due soon!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#12022

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 9,308
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 08:58
I recently picked Grimoire on sale and have really started to enjoy it. I played it when it first came out -- and, yes, when it was $40 -- and couldn't stand it. Over the course of a year, I downloaded pirated versions and tried to see what the hype was. No dice.

I had a free Sunday and saw the game was on sale for $7. I figured, what the hell, maybe it's worth trying again. I buckled down with the manual and ended up playing more than seven hours. I've been hooked ever since.

In between Grimoire sessions, I've been playing the tried and true CK2, with the AGOT mod.
doom is offline

doom

doom's Avatar
Watcher

#12023

Join Date: May 2019
Location: The Crypt
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 15:49
Grimoire is quite good, I played it the week of release and had no game killing bugs or crashes with it during that time. I plan on doing a replay of this gem, maybe later this year or early next!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#12024

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 9,308
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 15:58
Yeah Grimoire is a blast. I ended my last playthrough 40hrs in to wait for version 2 - I really need to get back to it at some point now that's been released. Despite some annoying design quirks, the maps were great to explore and making progress felt like a real achievement.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#12025

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Basingstoke UK
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 16:03
First play thru of kingmaker, was going well, till, "Game over" you failed to complete your task. I know it said keep an eye on the time, but it also said 3 months is plenty. Anyway looks like iv'e got to go quite a way back, other than that seems a good game.
skally_wag is offline

skally_wag

skally_wag's Avatar
Watchdog

#12026

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 18:03
Not playing any games right now. Too busy.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12027

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,660
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 19:01
Originally Posted by you View Post
Not playing any games right now. Too busy.
Thank you for that crucial bit of information.

I'm still playing Game of Thrones. I'm in chapter 6 or 7 now and starting to warm to it. It's clunky for sure, but the combat grows on you after awhile, and the story is just interesting enough to make me want to see where it goes.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#12028

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,315
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 19:26
You're welcome. Anything to please you. From what I read it is better to not be playing a game then play a bad game. Btw if you want to know where the story goes just read the books Well if you can't read then watch the tv show. If your illiterate and blind then stop playing games that require vision and reading.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Thank you for that crucial bit of information.

I'm still playing Game of Thrones. I'm in chapter 6 or 7 now and starting to warm to it. It's clunky for sure, but the combat grows on you after awhile, and the story is just interesting enough to make me want to see where it goes.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12029

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,660
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 19:38
Originally Posted by you View Post
You're welcome. Anything to please you. From what I read it is better to not be playing a game then play a bad game. Btw if you want to know where the story goes just read the books Well if you can't read then watch the tv show. If your illiterate and blind then stop playing games that require vision and reading.
Do I detect a hint of butthurt there?

The plot doesn't have anything to do with the books, it's a separate story. You do get to visit some known locations though, and you also interact with some of the characters from the novels.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#12030

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,315
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 21:45
I wouldn't call it but-hurt. Just acknowledging your anal retention side - that's all. Enjoy your game.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Do I detect a hint of butthurt there?

The plot doesn't have anything to do with the books, it's a separate story. You do get to visit some known locations though, and you also interact with some of the characters from the novels.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12031

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,660
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 22:20
Originally Posted by you View Post
I wouldn't call it but-hurt. Just acknowledging your anal retention side - that's all. Enjoy your game.
I'll make sure to avoid any jests with you in the future. I don't want to hurt your wittle feelings again.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#12032

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,315
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 22:54
Rimworld. Did a hard scenario with no save and one colonist. Got hurt (third day) and I try to self-tend but it doesnt work and he dies. Self tend is quite the hassle, it's like a list of 8 things that must be set correctly for it to even work. Still love the game and i'm a bit rusty right now since its been 6+ months since i played it..

A Plague Tale. It's decent enough, no Last of Us in terms of characters though.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
Last edited by vurt; May 19th, 2019 at 00:06.
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#12033

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,983
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2019, 23:52
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Grimoire is quite good, I played it the week of release and had no game killing bugs or crashes with it during that time. I plan on doing a replay of this gem, maybe later this year or early next!
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Yeah Grimoire is a blast. I ended my last playthrough 40hrs in to wait for version 2 - I really need to get back to it at some point now that's been released. Despite some annoying design quirks, the maps were great to explore and making progress felt like a real achievement.
Agreed. I had to start it with an open mind. The campiness grew on me, and I've enjoyed it. I don't have 40 hours -- more like 10 -- but it's a nice game I can wind down with after a long day or work.

The Grimoire manual made things more accessible. The only thing I'm worried about is NOT getting all the information I need when doing the manual interactions with NPCs.
doom is offline

doom

doom's Avatar
Watcher

#12034

Join Date: May 2019
Location: The Crypt
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 19th, 2019, 00:03
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Rimworld. Did a hard scenario with no save and one colonist. Got hurt (third day) and I try to self-tend but it doesnt work and he dies. Self tend is quite the hassle, it's like a list of 8 things that must be set correctly for it to even work. Still love the game and i'm a bit rusty right now since its been 6+ months since i played it..
Have you played Dwarf Fortress?
doom is offline

doom

doom's Avatar
Watcher

#12035

Join Date: May 2019
Location: The Crypt
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2019, 01:03
I don't mind some jesting - you just have to learn how to do it properly. Then again it might just be a skill you lack.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'll make sure to avoid any jests with you in the future. I don't want to hurt your wittle feelings again.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12036

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,660
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2019, 01:41
Originally Posted by doom View Post
Have you played Dwarf Fortress?
Yes i've installed it on two occasions, i can't get into it.. the graphics is just too poor and the interface is hard to grasp. I bet it's good if you get over the initial hassles and graphics, love the whole concept of it.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#12037

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,983
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2019, 01:46
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Yes i've installed it on two occasions, i can't get into it.. the graphics is just too poor and the interface is hard to grasp. I bet it's good if you get over the initial hassles and graphics, love the whole concept of it.
Yeah, the interface and graphics might off putting, but it really is a great game when you adjust to using only the keyboard and familiarize yourself with the ASCII characters.

FWIW, there are graphics packs that'll make the game look better, found with the LazyNewbPack.

DF is headed to Steam, which will include a graphics pack and, hopefully, open the game up to more players. The time table, however, is TBD.
doom is offline

doom

doom's Avatar
Watcher

#12038

Join Date: May 2019
Location: The Crypt
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2019, 11:26
Originally Posted by doom View Post
Yeah, the interface and graphics might off putting, but it really is a great game when you adjust to using only the keyboard and familiarize yourself with the ASCII characters.

FWIW, there are graphics packs that'll make the game look better, found with the LazyNewbPack.

DF is headed to Steam, which will include a graphics pack and, hopefully, open the game up to more players. The time table, however, is TBD.
I've used the graphics packs, its still awful imo, it looks 10x worse than something like Rimworld (which already has very, very simplistic graphics).

Yes and i hope the Steam version will eventually turn out like a commercial product. It's a game that deserves attention and players, but for that to happen (on a larger scale) it also needs proper graphics and interface.

The dev has been out of his mind to not let this be a more commercial game since way back imo, he'd be a millionaire.. I don't mean that it needs to be dumbed down, just an overall better product with proper graphics, interface.. i doubt it would be as popular as Minecraft perhaps, but it would be a very successful game, that i do not doubt. It's very unique. I have looked at some playthroughs of it + read a lot about it too.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#12039

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,983
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2019, 11:43
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Rimworld. Did a hard scenario with no save and one colonist. Got hurt (third day) and I try to self-tend but it doesnt work and he dies. Self tend is quite the hassle, it's like a list of 8 things that must be set correctly for it to even work. Still love the game and i'm a bit rusty right now since its been 6+ months since i played it..
My one of the most memorable moment with Rimworld is day 1 game over lol.

A hungry bear decided to eat my pet cat in one bite, then decided to chomp on my 3 colonists too because clearly, a cat was more of an entree for the bear. lol.

Have fun with Rimworld!
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#12040

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,386
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch