Kingmaker - Review and Interview

Off topic but this part is simply wrong. I replayed PoE last year and and I am playing PoE2 now, and they are certainly using the same base rulesets. Some mechanics have changed yes, but mainly in the strategic department (per battle abilities), the system feels evolved, not changed.

On topic, stop praising Kingmaker until I actually have time to play it! I'm already juggling two large games and really want to finish them before I tackle this. I prefer the "great but needs patches" comments, please try to only post those. ;)

The problem with PoE was they patched it a million times changing every little detail of the ruleset while you were playing. Owlcat is fixing bugs, not implementing new rules or changing them left and right. And my point still stands about Tyranny. That could have been the Icewind Dale to PoE's Baldur's Gate but they didn't decide to do that and also used a different ruleset and completely different setting. I was disappointed in that but that's just me. I feel Owlcat took a better approach using the Pathfinder rules at least.

The problem with PoE was they patched it a million times changing every little detail of the ruleset while you were playing. Owlcat is fixing bugs, not implementing new rules or changing them left and right. And my point still stands about Tyranny. That could have been the Icewind Dale to PoE's Baldur's Gate but they didn't decide to do that and also used a different ruleset and completely different setting. I was disappointed in that but that's just me. I feel Owlcat took a better approach using the Pathfinder rules at least.
Tyranny was fun to me because it awoke my inner min/maxer. Each combat I wasn't looking how to beat the enemy but how to get most XP out of it :D
For that reason I found it a lot of fun and more interesting than PoE
So for me changes to Tyranny ruleset were a big hit :)

Tyranny was fun to me because it awoke my inner min/maxer. Each combat I wasn't looking how to beat the enemy but how to get most XP out of it :D
For that reason I found it a lot of fun and more interesting than PoE
So for me changes to Tyranny ruleset were a big hit :)

That's cool, but they should have placed Tyranny in PoE's world to build on the setting, lore and ruleset they were building. Instead it was a once off game that could have been much more IMO.

That's cool, but they should have placed Tyranny in PoE's world to build on the setting, lore and ruleset they were building. Instead it was a once off game that could have been much more IMO.
Maybe, but again I found both the setting and companions more interesting than PoE ones (except Durance).
Maybe PoE2 should have been placed in Tyranny setting :D
PoE setting was "too realistic", I like my fantasy settings to be more fantasy focused.

Maybe, but again I found both the setting and companions more interesting than PoE ones (except Durance).
Maybe PoE2 should have been placed in Tyranny setting :D
PoE setting was "too realistic", I like my fantasy settings to be more fantasy focused.

I was hoping for a new D&D, like a new world to explore that is consistent, with a solid ruleset that doesn't get changed from game to game or have endless tweaks with patches. I know that's a lot to ask since they didn't have the years that D&D had to build a ruleset and setting, but I just felt they missed an opportunity there. Tyranny could have been set in PoE's world and still be just as interesting, with different companions but set in some outer reaches of the PoE world so you had that epic feeling of still being in a huge setting like Forgotten Realms.

I tend to very much dislike rtwp combat. I have only ever completed kotor 1 and 2 in part due to the setting.

Would people recommend this as a game to someone who usually doesn't like the combat style for everything else the game offers?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'm not a huge fan of rtwp either. I have finished games like Icewindale and Baldur's Gate. I could not get into Pillars of Eternity because of the rtwp combat.

In games like Bladur's Gate I try and finish a battle as fast as possible. In a turn based game like ToEE or Battle Brothers a savior the combat and think of different tactics all the time. I love D&D so that has helped me get through the rtwp ones.

With all that being said, I think Kingmaker has done rtwp combat the best and I'm enjoying the battles. I'm even trying some different strategies.

As a side note I really wanted to like PoE, I gave like $500 to the kickstarter for 10 hours of play, sigh. That was back when I was more generous with my money and now I'm an old scrooge when it comes to kickstarter.

I was hoping for a new D&D, like a new world to explore that is consistent, with a solid ruleset that doesn't get changed from game to game or have endless tweaks with patches. I know that's a lot to ask since they didn't have the years that D&D had to build a ruleset and setting, but I just felt they missed an opportunity there. Tyranny could have been set in PoE's world and still be just as interesting, with different companions but set in some outer reaches of the PoE world so you had that epic feeling of still being in a huge setting like Forgotten Realms.
Well, who knows, maybe it is
And they reveal this in Tyranny 2 or PoE 3 :D

I'm not a huge fan of rtwp either. I have finished games like Icewindale and Baldur's Gate. I could not get into Pillars of Eternity because of the rtwp combat.

In games like Bladur's Gate I try and finish a battle as fast as possible. In a turn based game like ToEE or Battle Brothers a savior the combat and think of different tactics all the time. I love D&D so that has helped me get through the rtwp ones.

With all that being said, I think Kingmaker has done rtwp combat the best and I'm enjoying the battles. I'm even trying some different strategies.

As a side note I really wanted to like PoE, I gave like $500 to the kickstarter for 10 hours of play, sigh. That was back when I was more generous with my money and now I'm an old scrooge when it comes to kickstarter.
Maybe I should add it to my wishlist for when it goes on sale

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Well, who knows, maybe it is
And they reveal this in Tyranny 2 or PoE 3 :D

We can hope, but they are probably still going to be tweaking the ruleset endlessly with their "patch roadmap" so I think that ship has kind of sailed. I'd like to be proved wrong, though.

On topic, stop praising Kingmaker until I actually have time to play it! I'm already juggling two large games and really want to finish them before I tackle this. I prefer the "great but needs patches" comments, please try to only post those. ;)

Kingmaker is one of the best cRPGs ever, you should play it NOW ;)

Another Hot-fix Patch was released today.

Hello everyone!

Please, be aware that there are plot spoilers in the descriptions below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests

• Bokken could die after his artisan's quest if players came to the "Oleg's Trading Post" area too late. Resolution: fixed, Bokken can't die any longer.
  • Tristian could become immortal after completing the "Betrayer's Flight" quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • Jubilost didn't appear in the tavern during the "Door to Nowhere" quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • The NPC Amalia didn't appear at the Capital Square after citizen revolt in the Season of Bloom chapter (Tristian's "Kingdom of the Cleansed" quest). Resolution: fixed.
  • The party couldn't leave "Oleg's Trading Post" area if players failed Nok-Nok's companion quest and the "Trouble with Goblins" quest. Resolution: fixed.

Areas

• Dialogue with Akiros didn't work properly at the "Stag Lord Fort" area after the party got over the wall if the formation layout set party members too far from each other. Resolution: fixed.
  • The party couldn't leave the "Womb of Lamashtu" area if an animal companion got stuck at the separated area part. Resolution: fixed.
  • The vendor didn't sell goods at "Brineheart" area after resolving all of the problems in the area. Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue with Amiri at the end of events at "Flintlock Grasslands" area could be inconsistent if players choose chaotic dialogue option. Resolution: fixed.
  • The NPC Gwart didn't appear at the end of events in the "Flintlock Grasslands" area if players visited the area first and then came back after completing Tristian's quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • There were issues with navigation at "Mysterious Shrine" and "Gnawed Rocks" areas. Resolution: fixed.
  • Tristian repeated romance dialogue when the party entered the Capital Square. Resolution: fixed.
  • Ekundayo's dialogue didn't work properly at the "Ruined Watchtower" area if players discovered the "Troll Lair" area before talking to him. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces

• Critical modifiers weren't visualized in tooltips. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics

• The Arcane Weapon - Shock enchantment would give a weapon the Brilliant Energy property instead. Resolution: Shocking Weapon Enchant gives Shock weapon property now.
  • Skeletons summoned by Jaethal's camping ability dropped loot and didn't disappear after death. Resolution: fixed.
  • Disintegrated units were invisible after resurrection. Resolution: fixed.

Miscellanous

• There was a mistake in the Fighter class description, leading to wrong expectations about class development. Resolution: fixed.
  • Epilogue ended after the Tiger Lords message. Resolution: the rest of epilogue should play normally now.
  • New pack of typos and localization fixes.

System

• Some players complained that video cards might be running out of memory. Resolution: a couple of video memory leaks are fixed.

We have noticed there were a lot of questions and misunderstanding surrounding our game’s crafting feature, the artisans, so we’ve decided to clear things up a little bit.

As a kingdom’s artisans become better at their craft, they can reach ever higher degrees of mastery, mechanically represented by different tiers. The quality of gifts they present to the player depends on their tier, with their finest work – the masterpiece – serving as the reward for reaching the artisan’s highest tier.

To increase an artisan’s tier, you need to complete their respective quests, but that is not the only requirement. You also need to improve your newborn country, so that the artisans have access to better tools and materials – that is, you need to rank up the different kingdom stats associated with the artisan.

As already mentioned, once an artisan’s mastery reaches the highest tier, they will present you with an item of great power – the masterpiece. At the moment, some players may experience an issue where an artisan tells the player they’ve started work on a masterpiece even though not all the necessary requirements have been met. This will be fixed in one of the nearest updates.

Also, we are currently working to make the process of improving an artisan’s tier more obvious and reactive.

PS.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For anyone having troubles with Linzi disappearing from the party - you can fix that by opening the party manager tool anywhere in the game, for example on the global map or when leaving your capital.
OwlCat is also doing another developer live-stream on the 12th.
The team at Owlcat Games will host a developer stream this Friday. The stream will take place this Friday 12midday-2pm PT/3pm-5pm EDT/9pm-11pm CET/10pm-12 Midnight Moscow between Owlcat's Arseny Deriglazov and as special guest video game legend Chris Avellone, who is part of the writers team for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Also found another review on culturedvultures - Score: 9/10.
Technically, the game does have some issues. Nothing too serious, but I have had character portraits being doubled and some textures being stretched out and the loading times can be pretty long at times. Another issue is that if you are not used to these kinds of games, it can be a lot to take in at first. To the game’s credit, there are many difficulty settings you can fiddle with. Like if characters are resurrected after a fight or you need a priest to do it, how much damage enemies do, the difficulty of the kingdom management and many other things. Even so, if you are not sure what these things do in the first place, it will nonetheless feel overwhelming. It is clearly made for fans of the genre, but I do think that new players can enjoy it as well if they take the plunge and can stand a few confusing hours in the beginning.

Kingmaker is one of the best cRPGs ever, you should play it NOW ;)

I completely agree with the first part, however if you haven't started playing the game you should really wait until at least October 22nd. The bugs drove me crazy and now I'm putting it on hold until they release that big patch.

I have an image for the RPGWatch review.

MC3U9W8.jpg

I completely agree with the first part, however if you haven't started playing the game you should really wait until at least October 22nd. The bugs drove me crazy and now I'm putting it on hold until they release that big patch.

Used to be past chapter 4 completely unplayable, now you can reach chapter 5 war of the river kings but the pitax area is completely broken , none of the scripts are working and there's a serious game breaking bug in the end wich prevents you to continue.Be very cautious to have saves prior those events future fixes are likely not retroactive.
Its wonderful before , best rpg ever, then it completely falls apart.
As for the encounters, if people are still complaining about the three wererats and troll king what will they say when they discover pitax palace...

Back
Top Bottom