KotOR1 - any advice?

When I saw the first starwars movie (i think they call it a new hope now but back in the days it was just star wars) it was fantastic. Of course I was a little kid and it was the first movie with real special effects. Today I find the movie corney and the special effects underwhelming.
-
Btw is Kotor that difficult that one has to optimize their build ?

When I saw the first starwars movie (i think they call it a new hope now but back in the days it was just star wars) it was fantastic. Of course I was a little kid and it was the first movie with real special effects. Today I find the movie corney and the special effects underwhelming.
-

I think there's a degree of difficulty to the game, but optimizing your character isn't necessary to curb that difficulty. It simply allows you benefit more from skills that are initially locked to you on the first planet, of which there are a plethora of.

I do recall having some trouble at Tatooine in the dunes at one point, though.

-

Difficult? No, not at all.

I never optimise my build because games are hard - I do it because I enjoy it. I love being good at something I enjoy doing.

well being a star wars fan and being a fan of kotor don't necessarily go hand in hand. I've been a huge sw fan for 25+ years, and i wasn't as impressed by kotor as some of our fellow watch members. :)

double blasphemy!!!!! :D

Agree with D’Art - really not a difficult game at all. And to be honest, I am pretty mediocre when it comes to gaming skills, almost never playing above ‘normal’ difficulty.

My point on builds is that it is about ‘maximizing your Jedi joy’ rather than ensuring you will survive.

Agree with D’Art - really not a difficult game at all. And to be honest, I am pretty mediocre when it comes to gaming skills, almost never playing above ‘normal’ difficulty.

My point on builds is that it is about ‘maximizing your Jedi joy’ rather than ensuring you will survive.

Hehe, well - I suppose we all have favorite aspects of games that we particularly enjoy.

I wasn't great at powergaming before I started playing WoW - at which point it became an obsession.

While I wasted a ridiculous amount of time on excelling at my role in that game, I did gain a few things - and learned a few important lessons.

Among them is how to powergame efficiently :)

Additionally, there's a mod out there that allows you to play in borderless 1920x1080 resolution - use it. It's remarkably helpful and really makes the experience that much better.

Also one of my favorite rpgs. I don't think normal difficulty for KOTOR is all that hard, so I'd personally play what you want. The three main classes are similar to a rogue, ranger, or fighter. So play which one you think you'll have fun with. Scoundrel offers the most non-combat options, for what its worth. The three Jedi Classes offer sort of a pure mage, fighter-mage, or thief-mage. Again the Sentinel offers the most non-combat options. Only the player can use persuade, so if you want that scoundrel or sentinel are good choices. You can later get force-persuade though for some situations. Since there are only 6 classes, you'll find you can usually take the companions you find most interesting.

So, since I recently managed to finish Jade Empire, I'm thinking of having another go at KotOR1. Any advice on what I can do to make the experience more enjoyable?

Last time played, I sunk in 20+ hrs, not sure how far in I was in term of the story though.

Hmm. No clue how to make it more enjoyable, but for me, KOTOR was better than Jade Empire, but I'm also a big Star Wars fan.

I guess I could say, use the characters that you think are the funniest/most charming/coolest, but that's pretty typical RPG stuff, especially for a Bioware game.

The game does get pretty interesting with some of the locations and choices you make, and some of the locations and twists are awesome to me (making me want to play it just thinking about them :) )

Hope you enjoy it at least. It's a good game I feel, made better by being a Star Wars fan or at least knowing some of the lore of that universe. And it's just a solid, high quality Bioware old-school CRPG.

Oh, and not sure if you like harder difficulty levels, but maybe that could make it more fun or interesting if you like a harder challenge. Maybe turn up the difficulty level or research a wee bit to see what level ppl recommend for it.

Good luck blobby. Let us know how it goes for ya. :)

I've decided I'm going to replay this and then give KotOR 2 a shot.

Even though I didn't care for the new movie, it put me in the mood for some Star Wars. :)

Additionally, there's a mod out there that allows you to play in borderless 1920x1080 resolution - use it. It's remarkably helpful and really makes the experience that much better.

Are there any other mods you recommend that improve it from a technical standpoint?

Are there any other mods you recommend that improve it from a technical standpoint?
Looking for recommendations too. Installed it a few days ago and wanted to give it a quick whirl, but then it crashed right after character creation so for now I'm back to Gothic 3.

I remember there being a large questmod with it´s own storyline that i ran for my second playthrough which I found to be much better than the original game
But then I always prefferd Kotor 2 where the morality was a bit more gray and the evil choices wheren´t so silly

I can´t remember what i was called but it tied in nicely to the vanilla game

KotOR doesn't have many mods in ways of technical enhancements. Though I believe I played with some texture mods last time I replayed it.

Most will likely be located here:

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic
https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor
http://www.gamefront.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic

I think this is the best source to figure out what the best mods are:

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/downloads?sort=visitstotal-desc

Then again, it doesn't really need it - as it looks perfectly fine considering its age.

The resolution mod is a must, though.

I also played the story mod at one point (something about Brotherhood or something) - and it was ok.

But it really didn't add much at all. I recommend as close to vanilla as possible. It's a pretty complete and wholesome package.

Though it's an odd choice to replay if you didn't like it the first time. It's not likely to have improved over time ;)

I liked it and wanted to do an evil playthrough just thought that a lot of the evil choices where more those of a petty sadist than a dark overlord

I liked it and wanted to do an evil playthrough just thought that a lot of the evil choices where more those of a petty sadist than a dark overlord

Well, it IS Bioware we're talking about :)

Seems to fit rather well into the comic book villains of the movies, though.

I'm not going to be using any story mods or mods that add fan-made items, etc. I appreciate the suggestions though.

It's been so long since I've played KotOR that I don't remember much of the story and side-quests. I don't feel like I need to add to it.

I'll probably check out that texture mod.

For whatever reason, I can't even get KotOR1 running - so I guess I won't be playing it after all =.=

Have been enjoying KotOR1 for about 20 hours now. It follows the same design of the world and npcs as DA:O which I like and prefer. Have finished with Taris, Dantoinne and Tatoinne, and have travelled to Mannan now. Many memorable companions but would have preferred that not many are introduced early in the game. Playing on hard difficulty which makes the combat more interesting and needing strategy (with respect to choice of companions, armour, weapons, feats and skills).

Note: I found that disabling the "grass" in the graphics options improves the graphics and makes the game run smoothly without problems.

Back
Top Bottom