Baldur's Gate 3 - Swen Vincke Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Dropped Frames interviewed Swen Vincke about Larian and Baldur's Gate 3.

This week JP, Cohh, and Zeke are joined by Founder and game director at Larian Studios: Swen Vincke! We ask him all manner of questions about him, Larian, the games he has worked on, and of course their upcoming game: Baldur's Gate 3!
More information.

Why Baldur's Gate 3 will cost $60 on Early Access - PC Gamer
While this is a $15 increase over Larian's last game, Douse tells me that it reflects the size of the game and the team that designed it. Everything's bigger.

"DOS2 was finished with a much smaller team," he says. "Larian is over double the amount of people now, compared to when DOS2 launched. And BG3 is a bigger, deeper game with far higher production values. So not only did we increase depth, but we actually increased production values alongside it."

$60 for a new PC game is hardly uncommon, though in comparison to other Early Access games it is quite steep. Douse says he's seen very few complaints about paying $60 for a game that isn't finished yet, but he still worries about what he sees as a "perception problem" with Early Access. He argues that the $60 still nets Early Access players a full game when it's ready, and in the meantime the ability to play development builds and help shape the game adds additional value.

"It's better to think of Early Access as a playable preorder," he says. "Though of course it isn't exactly that. Its function is entirely to make the game better through pooling feedback and testing ideas, iterating directly with our audience."

He shouldn't have to excuse himself, $60 is reasonable for a game of that scope and scale, with how much work is going into it. I'll happily pay that if the game is half as good as it should be.

Yeah sounds reasonable to me as well.

$60 as the (eventual) price for the game is fair and fine, considering its scale and scope, though it does seem that perhaps some enticement to buy it during Early Access wouldn't go amiss. Many other games have done that, raising the price to their full price upon full launch.

Well if it's released on new consoles I expect the price to rise to $70-80. This is based off new interviews from publishers suggesting prices will rise on games once again.

$60 as the (eventual) price for the game is fair and fine, considering its scale and scope, though it does seem that perhaps some enticement to buy it during Early Access wouldn't go amiss. Many other games have done that, raising the price to their full price upon full launch.

While that is true, I paid $60 for Cyberpunk 1 year ago and I still haven't got to play it at all. I don't even have a clear idea of what the game is about yet, less than 2 months from release. At least people who purchase BG3 before its final release will get to try it out and experiment with the first chapter of the game, character builds, and get full grasp of how the game plays out. I don't like Early Access and I wish it was gone, but as it was said in the original post, you can treat it as a pre-order, which is exactly what I will do, since I don't intend to touch the Early Access with a ten-meter pole.

I'll also most likely stop visiting any sites that could contain potential spoilers until release, this one included. (couchpotato rejoice ;) )

I just cant muster any enthusiasm for this game. I like D:OS 1 a bit but never finished it. D:0S2 just skipped. I know people love turn based and I am ok with it but it got like REALLY tedious in these games. I expect BG3 to be even more tedious.

I remember paying 80$ for games back in the mid 80s so 60$ is amazing really for a large game like this. That being said I am more concerned with it being DOS3 than the price.

I remember the good old days when EA was called beta testing (which I did a lot of), but in those days, the devs thanked the beta testers for their efforts by GIVING them a FREE copy of the final release!! Now they want me to PAY for the privilege!!!!

I paid around $200-250 for both D:OS1 and D:OS2 (Kickstarter collector's editions) so if they only allow me to pay $60 for BG3, and the game is supposed to be bigger, deeper, etc, then that's actually a pretty amazing price reduction :lol: But maybe there will be a collector's edition of BG3?

I remember the good old days when EA was called beta testing (which I did a lot of), but in those days, the devs thanked the beta testers for their efforts by GIVING them a FREE copy of the final release!! Now they want me to PAY for the privilege!!!!
Were just getting old Corwin. Time changes and not for the best some-times. As I remember when you could actually be a paid tester. Now it's online and you pay for it.

BG3 is fine and good but I'm still holding out for Swen's "RPG of all RPGs" crafted in the spirit of Ultima 7.

….so Original Sin 1&2, which already happened.
Well he is correct you just have to read Swen's personal web blog. He always mentioned his dream RPG while developing Original Sin and Dragon Commander.

I'm guessing BG 3 is his dream RPG with a budget bigger then all his past games.

Update: Link - http://www.lar.net/

He hasn't posted an update in years though. It's all Facebook & Twitter now.:(

Back
Top Bottom