So umm, this game sucked so I uninstalled

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I was reading a review of some game and this player hated the game after like one hour and then uninstalled the game. I can see that happening on the mostly rare gamer rage thing, but I see (ah, read about) a lot of folks uninstalling games all the time. Who does that????

My 6 year old computer is only about 80% full with games like Fallout 3, Fall out Vegas, Bioshock(s), Enderal, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dishonored(s), Elex, Deus ex(s), Divinity Original Sin(s) dozens of hidden object games a bunch of kickstarter crap and plenty more games I have forgotten about.

As it is, right now, I am in search for new computer mode (want me some VR ready gear) not make room on hard drive mode for more games mode. I have all kinds of available space for new games.

In the old days with floppys and small hard drives and crummy bug protections the need to keep the data on your drive limited was a necessity. But being a gamer now adays is just so much more maintenance free.

uninstall . . . . hummmp . . . .psh shaw I say, psh shaw

I think some people simply like to say that as a way to emphasize how much they disliked the game. As if it was so bad they had to delete it before it corrupted their system. :)

I've certainly felt that way a few times about a couple of games in the past, I don't believe it's happened recently to me. Those memories, though....it's like the game is eroding at the integrity of your system the longer it remains intact on your hard drive! Fortunately, at least for me, it's a very minor issue.

I just uninstalled Endless Space 2 to stop myself playing it any more! I do fill my hard drives fairly quickly though too. I'm using 762GB out of 931GB on my gaming drive which id less than 6 months old. Installed I have: Black Ops IV, GTA V, NFS 2015, Borderlands 2, Endless Legend, Arkham Origins, Arkham Knight, DOS 2, Galactic Civ 3, Half Life 2, Grimrock 1, Lego LOTR, Shadow of Mordor, Murdered Soul Suspect, Path of Exile, Risen 3, STALKER:CoP, Shadowrun Returns, Sniper Elite 4, Talisman, Tyranny, Marvel v Capcom 3, Assassins Creed, The Division, Forza Horizon. That's just the biggish footprint games. B Ops IV, and GTA V are both big games that I have played for an hour combined that I doubt I will ever go back to, so I should get rid of them.

On the other hand, games download a lot faster now as well. So why keep them on the drive? So it doesn't matter if you uninstall or not! (At least until the SSD fills up.)

The point of the instauninstall story is not accepting of being tortured by the turd and cleaning every trace of it from your machine. You wouldn't sleep in someone's puke, wouldn't you? :)

Don't forget to thumb it down on Steam.

I uninstall games all the time. It's no different to tidying your room or spring cleaning generally. Declutter your life. Fengshui. I uninstall if:

1. I've completed the game and enjoyed it but don't think I'll ever play it again or will ever show it to anyone else. At least in the foreseeable future.
2. I've not enjoyed the game and don't think I'll ever go back to it.

Under these conditions it's more me wondering why you don't uninstall stuff? You just like clutter? If you bought them on GoG or Steam or whatever site then you're purchase isn't going anywhere and you can re-install whenever you like, so you're not losing anything, you're just gaining, gaining a cleaner PC.

No different to when I had most of my games on disc, I'd have my library on my shelf and just install and uninstall depening on what I was currently playing.

When discussing a game publicly, if it is a number 2 (lol) then it's communicated that it's uninstalled because that's the thing that happened, but with number 1s the uninstall wont be communicated because it happened long after the completion of the game and is irrelevant to any review, ie: a few months have passed & I decide I'll probably never replay it & not show it to anyone in the near future.

The point of the instauninstall story is not accepting of being tortured by the turd and cleaning every trace of it from your machine. You wouldn't sleep in someone's puke, wouldn't you? :)

as Homer would say . . . Ahhhh Puke . . . .

Back in the day . . . . . . why, come here , you come here whipper snapper while I learn ya . . .

Installing and uninstalling games was a major chore. All the configuring and matching the proper hardware to get it to run and then getting some kind of Norton cleaner to scrub your hard drive to make sure no remnants remain to interfere with continued operations. I am so done with those days.

Maybe if Steam had a readily available, clearly visible uninstall option, I might push that button more often. But as it stands now, I'll leave all that heavy lifting to you younger gamers.

For me . . . on to the next computer.

I uninstall things all the time that I’m not planning to play. If a game is done and you don’t plan to play it again or it was just god awful, why would you care to keep it around? Just because you can? Well, that’s the same reason I uninstall...

Yup, I also uninstall games all the time. If I hate them that only means I include the savegames. ;)

Seriously, with the size of games today, it is still pretty easy to fill up your drive with worthless trash. And it's not like uninstalling involves much effort, including keeping track of your savegames (if you want to keep them).

Why would you keep a 5, 10 or even more gigabyte large game on your disk that you do not intend to play or even hate? :wideeyed:

Messy disk syndrome, if you ask me. :p

PS: Just as a cross-reference on the topic of games sizes -> https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061575921#post1061575921

I install and uninstall like crazy - and for many reasons.

We're ultimately driven by emotions - though we like to think we're always rational. So, it's a struggle between the two.

Some people are in denial about being emotional, so they attempt to rationalize everything they do.

Keep in mind, though, that you can be driven by your emotions and be completely rational about it :)

I'm very much guilty of trying to rationalize everything myself. I can come up with a reason for pretty much every install or uninstall.

But it's a bit of a blur. I often uninstall games because I know it'll take a lot of time to re-download them, and so I'm not as tempted to play them anymore.

I don't do it because I think it's "wrong" to play certain games - but I just have the experience to tell me when a game will or won't ultimately be worth it, considering the time they tend to take to play, and what other games I could be playing.

I'm obviously not right all the time - but I've gotten very good at "sensing" when games have too many problems, usually in technical terms or balance-wise - to bother playing them. I'm trying to save myself a lot of frustration in that way.

Even games I love to death will be uninstalled immediately - if I know there's no chance of a fix within a reasonable time frame.

So, in that way, it's sort of a rational decision - but it's also not, because you can enjoy most games even if they have a lot of issues. It just takes a non-perfectionist mindset.

Problem, for me, is that I always crave the "perfect" experience - or the "perfect" time to play a game. Something which is probably mostly a delusion - but not always.

So, yeah, it's a complicated issue - I find.

Games can change so vastly over a short period of time, I have a hard time uninstalling anything in the under 5 hour mark, unless it REALLY grates on me. If I had a gp for every time I started out hating a game ("this is all there is??"), then after a few hours/levels/powers later I'm liking it.

Also, it depends on where I am, mentally and emotionally at the time. It's why I never got rid of music CDs. I may get a CD and truly hate it, and it may sit on my shelf for years. One day, i give it another spin, and cannot envision life without it.

Annoying and lengthy tutorial sequences can be burdensome, but it does behoove the developer to do one of those "look at what you'll be able to do later!" tutorials, where you get a preview of some of the good stuff, to help get you thru the "swinging a rusty dagger" intro sections of the game

The only thing I've ever regretted uninstalling are large "building" games, such as Factorio & Minecraft, where I've lost savegames with huge creations. But that wasn't a deliberate choice to uninstall so much as a hard drive format. For everything else, once I'm done with the game, I'm done. I can count on one hand the games I've gone back to multiple times.

I've recently instituted a private rule that only one game from my Steam library can be installed at any given time -- this is intended to make it more likely that I actually finish a game once in a while.

I immediately started breaking the rule, but the intent is there.

I had a similar rule myself, maybe about ten years ago, when I was still playing Everquest more than anything else. Since I kicked that habit, I generally allow five or so games on the computer, just to have some flavour to pick from.

Only one from Steam, one from uPlay, one from Origin, one from GOG and one from "others". That's five in my case.

But the thread is about uninstalling something because "it sucked", not because it reached some quantity cap we set.
Like leaving the cinema after 10 minutes because the movie sucks. ;)

I just wondered whether a developer was willing to give his or her game the title "Umm" ...

Since I use SSD I avoid uninstall any game but remove them from my favorite list and put them in a category "To play or something", it's not uninstall but virtual uninstall anyway.

So I try some game less than one hour and do a virtual uninstall. Why:
- Because plenty games are crap, it's that simple. And you can't compare with a time you was only playing games as Fallout, Doom, Baldur's Gate, Majesty, Civilization, Red Barron, more.
- Because I have a lot too many games "to play" it removes a lot the motivation to continue play one that doesn't build an appeal rather fast.
- Because I'm older and I'm more and more difficult to appeal.
- Because I'm older and I bare less and less game genres, but still haven't give up do some tries on tedious genres.
- Because it's a Windows game I can't play on Mac, and stick me on Windows generate many inconvenient that can push me give up faster play anymore the game.

Back
Top Bottom