What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Those Civil War books are excellent, and far superior to the flicks. It isn't even a contest.

I watched The Big Chill with a mate the other night, hadn't rewatched this since the nineties, and it still holds up. Remember when being subtle and expecting the audience to figure some things out for themselves and not be bludgeoned over the head with what the creator wanted you to think/know? I miss those days. In any case, it's a fine film and well worth viewing.

I re-watched Ladyhawke (1985). I'd forgotten the magnificent synth-cheese soundtrack by the Alan Parsons Project.

Ladyhawke is one of those movies that was absolutely magical to me when I was young. But I know full well that it would be terrible if I were to watch it nowadays... so I consign myself to not rewatching it and remembering it fondly :D

I watched the Bill Bailey standup, Limboland. Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I laughed a lot. Might be one for those that enjoyed him Black Books and things like that.

The Uwe Boll Rampage is a shockingly good movie considering the director...definitely worth a watch. Just don't watch either sequel, they are awful.

Second post mentions Uwe Boll and doesn't say Bluberella?

Bot alert.

I watched the Bill Bailey standup, Limboland. Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I laughed a lot. Might be one for those that enjoyed him Black Books and things like that.

Ahhh Black books. My all time favourite sitcom.

a pibbur who thinks maybe it's time to watch it again. And the BB show.

Runaway Train (1985), a film that’s been called the most underrated movie of the 80s. It might be the most bizarre balance of schlock and brilliance I can think of. It’s a Cannon movie, directed by a serious Russian filmmaker that worked with Tarkovsky, with an original screenplay by Kurosawa, adapted by Eddie Bunker. It really does have the unique feel of a low-budget Hollywood B-movie mixed with a potential masterpiece.

The cut (no cop dies under the train) or full version? :)

Joe (1970). Great old movie about the generational clashes of the 60s. The plot goes a little off the rails, but the script carries it. Certainly has echoes for today.

The Saint (2017). A Poundland Mission Impossible. Avoid.
One can only wonder what dirt the director had on Ian Oglivy to blackmail him into appearing in this pile of steaming excrement.

Those last couple of movies I mentioned, Runaway Train and Joe, I got from watching Electric Boogaloo - The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films. A really entertaining documentary about the two partners trying to break into Hollywood during the 80s, with a complete absence of taste. For a while they controlled most British cinemas, and their intro came before pretty much every movie I saw as a kid.

Last edited:
The Iron Mask - Arnies best performance since 80 days. Watched it with the parents as my ma loves this type of fantasy hokum. Watchable :)

I like slice-of-life documentaries about unusual subcultures. Watched a good BBC documentary, Inside the Bruderhof, about a reclusive Christian community in a Sussex village. I found it interesting, as they seemed one of the more genuine religious communities, as opposed to many of the more cynical, cult-like “Christian churches”. There are many practical parallels with the Amish.

But, I’d still like to know who’s calling the shots, and what their interests are...

Watched a few comedy's this week. Nothing great but good for laughs.

Dirty Grandpa - Robert De Niro was hilarious in this role.
Going in Style - Bunch of older famous actors robbing a bank.
Why Him - Actor from Malcolm in the middle and Breaking Bad it was funny.

Personally recommend watching all three.

I watched The Old Guard last night, Netflix movie. Was kinda entertaining, and the ending hints at a sequel. Recommended watch for these times of quarantine. :)

I watched Ad Astra recently. It started well. I thought it was going to be a decent, mature sci fi thriller, but it kinda goes downhill as it goes along and the plot gets stretched. The first third was great, second third ok, last third a bit ridiculous. I still enjoyed it I guess, and Brad Pitt was impressive, but I'm not sure how much I would recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom