Neverwinter Nights: Rank the Campaigns

Which is your favorite Neverwinter Nights Campaign?

• Neverwinter Nights Original Campaign

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 Original Campaign

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Shadows of the Udrentide

• Hordes of the Underdark

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Pirates of the Sword Coast

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Wyverns Crown of Cormyr

• Darkness over Daggerford

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Mask of the Betrayer

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Kingmaker

• Storm of Zehir

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Copper Coin

Outspoken D&D critic
With all the Beamdog controversy going on with Neverwinter Nights, I thought it would be interesting to ask how people rank all of the official campaigns

I'll say Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the betrayer is the best one.

My ranking for all the campaigns though.

1. Neverwinter Nights 2:Mask of the Betrayer
  2. Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir
  3. Neverwinter Nights Darkness over Daggerford
  4. Neverwinter Nights:Wyverns Crown of Cormyr
  5. Neverwinter Nights 2: Original Campaign
  6. Neverwinter Nights 2:Mysteries of Westgate
  7. Neverwinter Nights:Hordes of the Underdark
  8. Neverwinter Nights Pirates of the Sword Coast
  9. Neverwinter Nights:Kingmaker
  10. Neverwinter Nights Shadows of the Udrentide
  11. Neverwinter Nights:Original Campaign
As you can see I preferred playing the campingns for NWN 2 more.

Let it be said the original campaign for NWN was the worst of the bunch. Hordes of the Underdark wasn't bad though, and Shadows of the Udrentide was average at best.

One thing I did notice was Mysteries of Westgate for NWN 2 is not on the list.

Storm of Zehir was the most fun for me.

Darkness over Daggerford is the most balanced in every area I feel. It has good story, atmosphere, roleplaying, exploration, combat, puzzles, and great sidequests. It's essentially a full game content wise.

Wyverns Crown of Cormyr and Pirates of the Sword Coast are also well balanced campaigns, but they fall short of Darkness over Daggerford in overall size and quality.

Mask of the Betrayer has excellent writing and atmosphere, but the gameplay is meh.

SoZ is the most ambitious campaign, but it's a mess. Deadfire is practically SoZ 3.0.

Neverwinter Nights 2 OC has some strong moments, but it's mostly mediocre.

Hordes of the Underdark is good. Shadows of the Udrentide is average. The NWN OC is terrible and not even worth playing.

SoZ is the most ambitious campaign, but it's a mess. Deadfire is practically SoZ 3.0.
Yeah, it's a mess. but still playable and enjoyable.

I didn't want to buy PoE2 before all the DLCs are out, but your comment make me reconsider.:lol: I really liked SoZ!

If you like Storm of Zehir, then you'll probably love PoE2.

If you like Storm of Zehir, then you'll probably love PoE2.
The last expansion Forgotten Sanctum is going to be released in November right?o_O

If so it's time to play PoE 2.

NWN 1 was pretty weak. I liked NWN 2's original campaign and Mask of the Betrayer a lot, though. MotB did strain because of the high levels (spellbooks were getting BIG!) but the story was a good one. I would say that, overall, the two are about even. You have to play the original campaign to enjoy MotB, though, so I gave my vote to the original campaign.

I tried to play Zehir but just couldn't get into it.

Loved idea of Kingmaker but it fell short in implementation.
MOTB was better.

I have to admit, I never really got around to finishing NWN 2.

Maybe I need to do that. One day.

I've only finished Pirates of the Sword Coast and I had a lot of fun with that. Of all the official campaigns - box campaigns not premium mods - I've started and quit all of them except Mask of the Betrayer. I had intended to finished the first NWN2 mod before moving onto MotB but for some reason I kept stopping about the time you got out of your trainer/village. I have heard good things about it though.

It probably had to with trying to get back to building which just frustrated me.

With the NWN1 OC I thought of it as mindless as everyone else but I took it as a sample mod and not really important. That's probably why my experience out of the gate with it wasn't as bad as others who had no interest in the toolset.

But even looking back, there's a lot wrong with it: the areas are too large - most of the buildings are just facades are the two things that come to mind. Its not something anyone realized at first and they corrected it in KotOR. So maybe its a good example of how NOT to write a mod. :)

--

Honorable mention should go to HeX CoDa the greatest mod ever built. As everyone probably knows it was premium mod that WotC cancelled because it wasn't Faerun.

This was one of the kind of reasons everyone stopped wanting to deal with WotC and the D&D license.

Finally something easy to vote on - Mask of the Betrayer all the way :)

Back
Top Bottom