Wasteland 3 - Patch 1.4.0 Feature Preview: Crafting

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest update for Wasteland 3 talks about what to expect from patch 1.4 - crafting unique items.

Wasteland 3 Patch 1.4.0 Feature Preview: Crafting

The world in which the Rangers exist is a perilous environment filled with challenge at every turn, where desperation and despair wait just ahead and trail close behind. Survivors in this world do not get by with sheer luck or by accident. They maintain a will to survive that has been tempered for generations in this radioactive wasteland where life was meant to die.

Out here, the pieces of this broken world are your keys to rebuilding anew . . . or should at least prove helpful in prolonging your own grisly demise for another day.

CRAFTING THE APOCALYPSE

This year's updates so far have included Permadeath, Difficult Skill Checks, new difficulty modes, new cosmetic options, and a host of quality-of-life changes and game improvements--but we're not stopping there. With Patch 1.4.0 releasing in the next few weeks, your Rangers will soon be able to finally put much more of what they find across frozen Colorado to new use, and forge items that are oftentimes helpful, sometimes exotic, and occasionally, just batshit insane.

Wasteland 3's Crafting system will introduce exciting new weapons and high-level mods for squads to experiment with. This is going to be especially beneficial for those of you coming back to play the expansions we've got coming. This is a true-to-Wasteland system, with new gear that celebrates the post-apoc theme, and packs other surprises that'll keep you guessing. Along with all that new hotness, there's also the obvious convenience of making your squads more self-sufficient in the field, as they'll be able to make their own ammo and medical supplies on the run.

Overall, this system is going to give new purpose to a lot of the vendor Junk you find in the world, allowing you to grind it all up and spit it all back out as a bunch of shiny new items.

c84f3a_e81d72aa4f5d410a8c0ccd3b3092db10~mv2.gif

The new craftable W.A.S.P. Gun is every bit as horrific as you imagine it to be.

RECIPES FOR DESTRUCTION

Whether you'll be challenging Colorado's tundra in a fresh playthrough, or are continuing from an existing save, this next update will immediately grant you access to this new feature. Crafting in Wasteland 3 doesn't require a Crafting skill--all you need are recipes and the components to make them.

There are effectively three ways to get recipes:

1. By leveling up your Skills!

The most basic recipes are acquired automatically as your characters' Skills are leveled up. Increasing your First Aid, for example, will also unlock recipes to craft Med Hypos, Medic Packs, and more. Skill-point recipes like these tend to offer the most basic and regularly useful items like ammo, healing items, as well as standard weapon and armor mods.

c84f3a_60bf115bfe1e47669f6d8f8876017539~mv2.webp

[...]
More information.

While I think that Crafting is a welcome addition to Wasteland 3, I can't help thinking that it is some form of "cut content" that should have been present when the game was released. Well, better late than never.

It seems "crafting" tends to be popular in rpg but personally, I always thought that it was kind of silly. As if my adventurers, busy saving the world, would spend hundreds of hours to learn how to properly craft a (magic) sword. Anyhow, imo it's much more interesting to find that sword at the end of an epic quest than because I found (list of ingredients) and because I managed to raise the weaponsmith skill to x.

It seems "crafting" tends to be popular in rpg but personally, I always thought that it was kind of silly. As if my adventurers, busy saving the world, would spend hundreds of hours to learn how to properly craft a (magic) sword. Anyhow, imo it's much more interesting to find that sword at the end of an epic quest than because I found (list of ingredients) and because I managed to raise the weaponsmith skill to x.
I completely agree

I'm another one that doesn't truly need crafting in games, especially ones like this. Seems to me it more belongs in maybe online games or something. Keep plugging away at the content here, I'll pick it up when it's all finished.

I'd be content if you could simply remove unique mods from weapons once attached. I don't think the game balance needs further crafting options.

I commend them for how much post-release work they're doing here, but things like this just end up causing more people to wait longer before purchasing the game.

I commend them for how much post-release work they're doing here, but things like this just end up causing more people to wait longer before purchasing the game.

I had purchased the game originally to support them as it is the type of game I generally enjoy. However, I rarely replay games, so not certain about buying the DLC yet, but we'll see.

I had purchased the game originally to support them as it is the type of game I generally enjoy. However, I rarely replay games, so not certain about buying the DLC yet, but we'll see.

That's an issue for me too. With the exception of a few favorites, I almost never replay games.

It's the curse of liking multiple genres. I always have more games than I have time to play. In addition to wanting to play all the best RPGs, I also want to play a lot of shooters and survival-horror titles as well. It's just not possible.

That's an issue for me too. With the exception of a few favorites, I almost never replay games.

It's the curse of liking multiple genres. I always have more games than I have time to play. In addition to wanting to play all the best RPGs, I also want to play a lot of shooters and survival-horror titles as well. It's just not possible.

Yeah, I like strategy games too and they're huge timesinks :D

I'm not hyped at all by this crafting feature, but hey! If it makes the game richer, why the hell not? Keep'em coming!

Crafting is good by me, especially if it's going to add unique weapons!

Back
Top Bottom