Gloomhaven - Full Release on October 20 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gloomhaven - Full Release on October 20

Default Gloomhaven - Full Release on October 20

September 22nd, 2021, 23:38
Gloomhaven will be released on October 20:

Gloomhaven is hiring mercenaries on October 20th

Full release time has come upon us, mercenaries. Prepare your weapons and coins, we're entering Gloomhaven's campaign.

Long time no see mates. I reckon we're all here?
Well, not all surely; may the missing ones find better fortune in the next life.
What an adventure it's been, eh?
We cleared countless dungeons and pushed back against demons, slavers and monsters alike.
We uncovered new creatures before looting their corpses, and we settled old debts.
It's been a mighty and intense 2 years together.
We came here as mercenaries, and with all of you, we became Guildmasters.
Let us all raise our glasses to everything we've accomplished…
But there's always more to do, and we are not stopping here.
Lads, we're going home.

loading…

[…]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 00:00
I have not played the beta or seen much of any of it, but the board game was great with a huge amount of fun and interesting content so I'm looking forward to this full release. It will be interesting to see how they handle storytelling in the PC's full campaign.

NFLed

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 03:40
I've never played the board things yet have heard great things about it, so I'm hoping this computer version captures that, or maybe exceeds.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 08:26
X2…never played the boardgame but I too have heard it's supposed to be impressive. Bit worried if that really can translate into an enjoyable crpg though. Still, I'll probaby give it a try.

On a related note: It was announced that "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" will go in the opposite direction and be made into a boardgame, just the other day. That one I will definitely get, since I loved the source material.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 09:34
Never played the boardgame, but I do like card-mechanics. Here it is a bit shitty imo. You have to use your cards to move and they are all "double-sided". So on top of deciding which of your cards to sacrifice you have to read them all ten times beforehand. Did not refund the game, but not sure if I will give it another try…

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 14:11
"So on top of deciding which of your cards to sacrifice you have to read them all ten times beforehand."

Gloomhaven is a board game which has a whole lot of strategy involved. If making somewhat quick and automatic decisions is important, then this is probably not the right game.

NFLed

Keeper of the Watch

September 23rd, 2021, 15:35
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
Never played the boardgame, but I do like card-mechanics. Here it is a bit shitty imo. You have to use your cards to move and they are all "double-sided". So on top of deciding which of your cards to sacrifice you have to read them all ten times beforehand. Did not refund the game, but not sure if I will give it another try‚€¶
If its like the boardgame you can use any card for 2 movement without removing it from your deck. You can of course use the special movement if you like, since its normally better. Since each character has a pretty fixed deck it requires a little work at the start to internalize the cards , but once you know your starter cards it moves pretty quick.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 16:52
It has been a while since I last played it, but I found the mechanics overly complicated (double cards, "burn or use"). And I really hate card games where your deck is the resource for mana, movement or whatever. I built my deck because I want to use my cards not burn them for something else. The MtG system is still supreme in that regard.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 23rd, 2021, 17:32
I have both, well I had the board game but sold it as I found it way to finicky to get to the table.

The computer game I have played a bit and it's great but no campaign yet so I have been waiting.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 18:11
Was it in EA? I played a bit this summer…

Telstar

CRPG lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 18:12
It has been a while since I last played it, but I found the mechanics overly complicated (double cards, "burn or use").
I agree. A good game, but soo slow.

Telstar

CRPG lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 18:35
It has been a while since I last played it, but I found the mechanics overly complicated (double cards, "burn or use"). And I really hate card games where your deck is the resource for mana, movement or whatever. I built my deck because I want to use my cards not burn them for something else. The MtG system is still supreme in that regard.
Its nothing like MTG. MTG has tons and tons of cards. And its a deck builder, so part of the joy is finding new cards and new combinations.
Gloomhaven has few cards with lots of options. The more you play it the more you realize how you could play better. That scratches a different itch for me then MTG does. Its principally a tactics game, not a deck builder.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 22:37
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Its nothing like MTG. MTG has tons and tons of cards. And its a deck builder, so part of the joy is finding new cards and new combinations.
Gloomhaven has few cards with lots of options. The more you play it the more you realize how you could play better. That scratches a different itch for me then MTG does. Its principally a tactics game, not a deck builder.
I know they are different kinds of games. I was comparing the approach to resource management. Gloomhaven's approach is not new and I just don't like it in all games using it.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 23rd, 2021, 23:11
I know they are different kinds of games. I was comparing the approach to resource management. Gloomhaven's approach is not new and I just don't like it in all games using it.
It's actually quite different other then it uses cards…as you have to chose each side of a card and losing abilities that are on the other….lots of decisions to make. Not really a resource management ala other card games.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 01:19
I too own and like the board game but yeah there are a lot of little bits and pieces that makes it a fiddly. I took me a while to wrap my head around managing my cards but once I did I found that part of the game a really elegant system. There's a good tablet combat app that really helps with managing the baddies, can't remember what it's called. There's also a really nice TTS version that makes the game quicker/easier to play but obviously it's not as fun and IRL round a table. With my game group spread over ~150km radius these days I'm sure we'll be giving this one a go.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 14:44
Like many I've played the board game and I'm a huge fan. I haven't played the electronic game but I'll probably get it when it comes out. I don't see any reason the board game wouldn't translate really well to a computer game. Board games usually do, especially co-op ones. The board game does have some limitations of player communication that I guess you'd lose. And the characters can be really complicated so managing four at once might get a little confusing. But otherwise I think it should be good. I think they are planning to change some stuff from the board game, though I'm fine with since I've already played through it, but it's hard to say how it will effect the gameplay.

As for whether to recommend the board game itself, gloomhaven is probably my favorite board game of all time, but it's also a game that I'm cautious about recommending to people unless I know more about them. It's a pretty heavy and complex game with a lot of unique rules that may not be intuitive right away. There are many people I play with who enjoy more light and casual games who I accept would have a very hard time learning the game, and who wouldn't enjoy it if they did.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 16:02
I may very well get this on release, it looks interesting enough and I'm fan of hex combat. It only concerns me that the narrative might be a tad shallow, but if the combat is interesting, it's probably okay with me.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

September 24th, 2021, 18:24
Dig hexes, but the cards…Why did it have to be cards?
loading…

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 18:58
I played the board game, and logistics aside it's a great game. I played the PC game on EA a LONG time ago and I found it difficult not having the cards in front of me to study and properly plan. With any luck they've made this better. I'll have to try it again soon..

clemford

Watcher

September 24th, 2021, 19:08
In the actual board game they put a lot of effort on the story and it has tons of lore. With that said, it still somehow ends up being mostly pretty forgettable. There are some really cool scenarios with interesting things you have to do, but the overall story is something that most people aren't super impressed with. I doubt the board game will be much better but you never know. The designer does seem to have learned a lot from some of his mistakes in other areas.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gloomhaven - Full Release on October 20