RIDE 4 Photo-realistic graphics - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » RIDE 4 Photo-realistic graphics

Default RIDE 4 Photo-realistic graphics

September 24th, 2021, 20:52
RIDE 4 Gameplay PS5
loading…

I'm not into motocycle racing games, but this one looks seriously impressive.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 21:28
Apparently the rain doesn't affect grip? I would have expected more spills from cornering in those conditions.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 21:32
I'm not much into racing games, but that looks utterly fantastic.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 23:18
Now that's some next-gen business. I could get into that. Fantastic lighting.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)

September 24th, 2021, 23:40
Yea this is very cool. Wonder if I will live to the day, or if the world will even last that long before civilization collapses in on itself, to see some graphics like that for a SF or Fantasy style game. Like on some Mad Max vehicle in Post-Apoc or some beast in a fantasy game.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

September 25th, 2021, 00:01
I remember back in earlier days of PC gaming, PCs were horrendously expensive, and a lot of games required a high-end machine. That obviously wasn't good in many ways, but it did mean that games were targeting the cutting edge of PC hardware. If AAA games today had high-end PCs as their target platform, we could see some amazing stuff right now.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

September 25th, 2021, 01:48
It's a bit like Morrowinds Water though: The Track and with the rain and water looks amazing. But the bike itself including the other drivers are rather meh. Looks clearly like a 3D model and the lighting doesnt seem to match either. A bit like everything and everyone is made out of hard rubber.
--
Doing Let's Plays Reviews in English now. Latest Video: Cyberpunk 2077
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

September 25th, 2021, 02:07
It looks better because everything is moving fast. At 3:50 there's a wipe out. Pause it right as the player gets on the bike and give it a look. The arch for that railroad bridge clearly has 9 sides. The lighting in the tunnel looks weird, too. Still not at photo realism, I'm afraid.

That said, the graphics still look fine! The reflections in the water on the road look great.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

September 25th, 2021, 04:49
Geez…talk about nitpicking. Photo-realistic might be an exaggeration, but this still looks phenomenal compared to 99% of what's out there.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 25th, 2021, 08:27
Holy…talk about eye candy. I am not into motorcycle racing or sims either, but this is a promising development for future games I do play, like rally racing games and hell, first person shooters. Dazzling realism in those environments.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

September 25th, 2021, 08:53
I think it also looks this good due to the genre of the game. A racing game is very static and the environment doesn't change that much in real-time. So they can hand-craft the lighting of the scene. To make it just right. I really doubt this can be achieved in an environment in which the player controls the lighting of the scene, can cause explosions, etc. It sounds like it will be a lot of work.

There was an UE 5 demo that also looked very realistic. I think this one. But while it looks very beautiful, there's still something off about the lighting, I think.

Anyway, while graphics are very impressive (right now I'm playing Days Gone and the lighting in particular creates such fantastic moods and atmosphere, from scenic beauty to horror inducing scenery) the human eye quickly becomes adapted to these and doesn't really see them anymore after some time. I noticed this again when I redid a playthrough of Gothic 1. At first sight there was a huge mental mismatch between what I remembered it and how it actually looked. You might say it looked downright awful compared to modern games. But after a hour or so I was fully in, no longer saw the low poly geometry, but saw beautiful foothills and things worth exploring. So it still all comes down to story and gameplay, for me at least. Graphics are beautiful and help set a mood, but that can also be achieved via other ways.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

September 25th, 2021, 10:04
Shouldn't an effect of diminishing returns kick in at some point in this ridiculous arms race for graphics fidelity? Surely the quality of the user experience doesn't keep growing in proportion to the investment in 3D modellers and texture artists, does it? Especially if that investment goes into rendering drab suburban landscapes in loving detail?

But it probably isn't about improving the user experience at all, but simply about marketing. The winner in the graphics fidelity arms race is set to receive heightened attention in the media and tons of gushing youtube videos, and thus gets free extra publicity.

Atrachasis

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 25th, 2021, 12:54
Blimey - you lot are tough to please! We're not going to have photo-realism for a long time, until we have the horsepower for true raytracing. Every game has a performance budget, and there have to be compromises in order to create the best effect possible for that type of game.

I would have thought that when you're making a simulation, more realism is good. To me, I look at that and it feels like spanking a bike around a track in a way I don't have the skill for, and that seems quite exciting. The wet, grey environment is very much what streets round here often look like, and seems even more immersive.
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

+1:

September 25th, 2021, 14:00
It does look good. No spray from the bikes in front?

For a racing game, I'd rather have realistic physics than visuals, but that's just my personal preference. I've enjoyed Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 a lot, the visuals in the first one are superb too (even more in its sequel, ACC, which has weather and day/night without requiring any mod).

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

September 25th, 2021, 14:26
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
For a racing game, I'd rather have realistic physics than visuals, but that's just my personal preference. I've enjoyed Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 a lot, the visuals in the first one are superb too (even more in its sequel, ACC, which has weather and day/night without requiring any mod).
The physics look pretty damn realistic to me. Check out the liquid in that container above the right handle bar. What's that for anyways?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 25th, 2021, 15:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The physics look pretty damn realistic to me. Check out the liquid in that container above the right handle bar. What's that for anyways?
Maybe, I'm not a bike enthusiast. I would expect a more visible tendency to skid in those conditions, accelerating in a curve when there are puddles and it's wet (screenshot below). Maybe they do skid and I don't get the feedback just by watching it. If it has physics too, then it's great!

I'm curious about the little container too. It's too high to be a gas gauge, could that be for the brakes?

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

September 25th, 2021, 20:20
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I'm curious about the little container too. It's too high to be a gas gauge, could that be for the brakes?
I was about to say that it doesn't look like any brake fluid that I've seen, but I looked it up and that's exactly what it is.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

Tags
ride 4 graphics
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » RIDE 4 Photo-realistic graphics