Underworld - Something to look forward to:

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Charles from CGR has written in to give us an update on what is happening with the Swords and Sorcery games. As well as working on the sequel to his first game, he has hired an artist and begun a complete graphical ovehaul on the original. Follow this LINK to his site and check out the incredible difference, as well as the latest news on the project.
More information.

Very nice! His next game is definitely on my list.

Good to hear that he is also working on the monster graphics.
Will buy it as soon as this update is out.

Goodness, what a massive improvement! Looking good!

I'm not a graphics wh*re (to wit, I happily play ASCII roguelikes, etc.), but I must admit that the really bare bone graphics of the original Underworld turned me so completely off that I didn't even consider trying the demo, let alone consider purchasing the game. This graphical update changes that. Looking forward to seeing the updated version in full glory.

Looking good there. Definitely a massive improvement over the original game.

Goodness, what a massive improvement! Looking good!

I'm not a graphics wh*re (to wit, I happily play ASCII roguelikes, etc.), but I must admit that the really bare bone graphics of the original Underworld turned me so completely off that I didn't even consider trying the demo, let alone consider purchasing the game. This graphical update changes that. Looking forward to seeing the updated version in full glory.

+1 Most Definitely.

Why stop at that level of graphics? I mean there are game engines for as little as $99 and you can make a game that can at least begin to compete with some higher budget titles. Ofcourse, there's this little thing about moving onto a new engine, but looking at those graphics i'd say it would be worth the trouble, and he'd tripple the interest in his game(s).

Thanks everyone for your comments & encouragements. And Corwin once more for the spotlight!

@vurt - Using a ready-made engine to make games that compete with today's games was never my intention. I wanted to make a blobber, and now I want to make another :)

I'm much more interested in seeing the UI and gameplay mechanics getting the love. The graphics were meh, but the game needs a far more robust inventory system, magic system, etc. Might and Magic I was great....in 1980. If Charles is going to stay with the tile graphic system, at least upgrade the other systems to World of Xeen levels.

WoX is both a different ballpark and a different experience. Personally I have a preference for the MM2 combat system (kiting being my main gripe with the more advanced system). Also animated monsters were way out of budget.

I understand people wanting to go more or less far back (or not at all) but my intention was to aim for MM2. Had I aimed for WoX, some would have prefered MMVI...

I decided to upgrade the inventory system as well as a couple new features, for the sequel though.

But your opinion has been noted and considered - and it is not ridiculous :D

@vurt - Using a ready-made engine to make games that compete with today's games was never my intention. I wanted to make a blobber, and now I want to make another :)

Good luck, and don't let people like me talk you into stuff, you'll end up like EA, or worse ;)

Loving the look of this game.

I would have preferred if you went for a more Wizardry style gameplay since I never really cared for M&M, but I'm not passing on this one.

Back
Top Bottom