TQ: Immortal Throne - Screens @ Worthplaying

Looking forward to this one, as I got TQ for Christmas and am really enjoying it for what it is--a true clone--not imitation-of Diablo2.

The setting,scripting and voice acting are really above average, and the graphics are the kind that make you drag your bored significant other in and force them to look, knowing they will have to at least say "Wow, how cool." before running from the pc. :)

AFA I can tell, Iron Lore has disected evrything about D2 that made it the addicting hack-n-slash masterpiece it was, and tried to improve on it, especially for single player--check this expansion feature:

"Traveling NPCs will meet you in major cites throughout the ancient world, storing your most precious goods, and allowing you to transfer them between your characters "

So you don't have to download a third party program to mule your loot. Very considerate. :)

The only thing that chaps my deriere is that no one seems to be able to do this with a crpg--why are there no successful modern interpretations of the great Old Ones(PS:T for example) ?

Til somebody figures it out, I guess I'll just have to settle for mindless slaughter!;)

The only thing that chaps my deriere is that no one seems to be able to do this with a crpg--why are there no successful modern interpretations of the great Old Ones(PS:T for example) ?
Because Torment sold less than 75K copies. As long as team sizes and development times continue to rise, the break-even point on a game will move further and further out. Torment turned a profit, but a modern interpretation would not.

Not even if they called it an "action game with rpg elements?" ;)

I don't know. I think it's possible to interpret a classic in a way that draws on it's strengths and enhances them through contemporary insights/capabilities. It just takes the vision and commitment to do so--oh...and, of course, the money.

Yes, I see the snag. :)

Til somebody figures it out, I guess I'll just have to settle for mindless slaughter!;)

Writing dialogue is a pain in the arse and Torment works because of the dialogue. It's a lot of effort for something the market has shown doesn't have that much appeal. You're basically asking a developer to make 50% more game than they're making now. Until there's truly generic middleware that handles most of the stuff that developers currently dedicate resources to, I can't see the situation changing.

By the way, I thought Titan Quest was kind of balls. Just seemed too flat and generic (even with the neat setting) for me to take any interest in it. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a better action-RPG.

By the way, I thought Titan Quest was kind of balls. .

LOL I though Marvel Ultimate Alliance was kind of balls. I got it for Christmas and theres just too little in powers for each of the characters. Plus I felt it was just too easy.

Last edited:
I was using PS:T as one example, but obviously it had a lot of elements that few rpgs then or now have. I would be quite happy to see a modern version of the Might and Magic series--don't tell me the dialogue would be too hard to develop for that one--:rolleyes: ---or some of the older games I've never had the opportunity to play, like the Gold Box series and Darklands.

**begin rant**
Studios and publishers spend plenty of money on codswallop like Dungeon Seige, KOTOR and Dark Messiah because they perceive one market and one audience only, and because they think if they do not target the casual gamer, do not cross over on five different console platforms, they are not justifying their expenditures to the boardroom.
**end rant**

Don't get me started :p

I'm not demeaning these games or people who enjoy these games--I just feel it perfectly possible that these same people might enjoy other games equally if they were allowed to choose them.

Bottom line: there is more than one way to turn a profit. Niche audiences also spend money, and cult classics cross over into bigger markets. Take a little risk and produce a good enough product, and you will make money, if that's the big goal of everything on the planet.

Weapon, sorry you didn't enjoy TQ--I know I get overly enthusiastic when I first start a game. I may find it less compelling after a month or two. But it's keeping me up late and liking it at the moment. :)

Back
Top Bottom