Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Hah, no one got my Prison Break architect reference.

So here's one for the Couch news

EA Cancels upcoming Star Wars game

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-world-star-wars-game-1831786371

Apparently the game by Visceral was not cancelled when that studio was closed

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

It was just going to be a completely different (open world) game. They transferred it to Burnaby and used some of the art assets, but they cancelled it again.

They pulled a classic EA move to add micro-transactions and turn the first game into a live service. Now said game at the new studio was halted to not being finished by 2020.

They instead want to fund a smaller game by another developer out by 2020 to please investors. Please Disney cancel EA's exclusivity license to make Star Wars games.

I want more RPGs like Star Knights of the Old Republic , and would it kill them to make more strategy games like Star Wars: Empire at War or Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.

My guess is no as SP is dead to EA. It's all live service and MP nowadays.

Hah, no one got my Prison Break architect reference.
(...)

Sorry Lucky Day, I really didn't get it your reference, probably because I didn't watch the TV series.

An open world would be a direct competitor to SW:ToR. Would they have to shut it down? They faced a backlash with SW:Battlefronts 2 and called attention to their lootboxes in a way that embarrassed Disney as it let the general public and press know about. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they planned this new game in the first place unless they are looking to get rid of ToR. They couldn't salvage it after they closed the studio down - now they are trying to salvage the license for it.

Sorry Lucky Day, I really didn't get it your reference, probably because I didn't watch the TV series.

No problem. Its not a spoiler to say that Michael, a former engineer on the prison, tries to save his brother from death row by getting tossed in with the plans of the prison tatooed to his body. So I thought it make for a good laugh to toss that in there. Not funny if I have to explain it.

The first season is great but increasingly worse with each new season they make of it. Still, I am compelled to watch.

I don't understand how a single player RPG would be a threat to the online version of SW:ToR. Still recall one developer saying it's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3-7.

Different gaming experience as one is online the other is offline. EA deserves at this point to lose the license. Yet I know they wont as Disney has ruined Star Wars.

xtvrhsc0uxa21.jpg

Last edited:
They instead want to fund a smaller game by another developer out by 2020 to please investors. Please Disney cancel EA's exclusivity license to make Star Wars games.

I want more RPGs like Star Knights of the Old Republic , and would it kill them to make more strategy games like Star Wars: Empire at War or Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.

The only games Disney bothered financing themselves in the last few years have been mobile games. I'm not sure Disney getting the license back is going to be an improvement over EA who despite not having made any RPGs made other stuff than mobile games with it...

The only games Disney bothered financing themselves in the last few years have been mobile games. I'm not sure Disney getting the license back is going to be an improvement over EA who despite not having made any RPGs made other stuff than mobile games with it…
My second post already said Disney ruined the Ip already. I also have no doubt they would make more mobile games if EA lost the IP. It's a no win situation it seems.

In the worlds of Activision Blizzard "Do none of you have phones?".:(

I do but it's not my main gaming device.

In the worlds of Activision Blizzard "Do none of you have phones?".:(

Activision is not doing well. They had a major decline in revenue this year and are shifting their studios to low cost development (aka mobile) and cutting ties with studios they didn't own like Bungies.

The "do none of you have a phones" are them being desperate to not lose more customers (30% drop these last two years apparently).

More Anthem Gameplay Videos.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Ignores Players Romance Choices

Despite promising "player choice" and pledging not to force relationships upon people, Ubisoft has ignored "player choice" and forced a relationship upon people with Assassin's Creed Odyssey's latest DLC.
ATOM RPG Patch v1.07 Released
Hello, friends!

Tonight, we offer you our newest patch, numbered 1.07.
We worked on it for quite a while, so we really hope you will like what it brings to the game.
Here is the log of the main changes:

• Reworked random encounters, changed fight balance. WIP.
  • Added new map - ATOM base - and tutorial.
  • Fixed car bugs.
  • Stock renew on save-load fixed.
  • Circus location bugs fixed, now quests are correctly given out and failed.
  • VIL-A fixed.
  • Xander P-603 fixed.
  • Informer fixed.
  • Castle leader’s quest line fixed, consequences added to different approaches.
  • Peregon’s government quest fixed, now you can correctly dispose of every leader.
  • You can now get to the ship in Krasnoznamenny while playing the Chaos route.
  • Minor bug fixes in all major settlements.
  • Typos and weird phrasing fixed in parts of the translation. WIP.
  • New recipe books for crafting.
  • Better optimization of the game.
  • Companions AI improved.
Thank you for sticking with us. Now, we’re off to make the big update which will include new locations and quests. Stay tuned :)
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog - Q&A
Greetings warriors of Calradia!

Over the course of the past few months, one of the most commented features that we have shown in this dev blog is the use of siege engines when someone is trying to take a castle by storm -- but we didn't really go into much detail about how they work. In this week's entry of our blog, we talk with Bahar Şevket, one of our gameplay programmers, who is currently working on new mechanics for that particular area of the game and can give us some interesting insights on how siege engines will be integrated into Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

Fallout 76 Quietly Prepares To Go Free To Play

Fallout Modders Diss Bethesda with Canvas Bag & Nuka Dark Rum Mods

Baldur's Gate - On Monsters and Combat - PCGamer
When BioWare designed Baldur’s Gate in 1998, it already had almost 25 years of D&D history to draw from. The result is one of the most varied and exciting bestiaries in rpG history. across the two games and their expansions, the Bhaalspawn battles all manner of dreadful beasts, from trifling kobolds and rats, to powerful mind flayers and beholders. and it’s in these encounters where the game’s real-time-with-pause combat comes to life, forcing you to think carefully about how to slay each foe.
Diablo 2 mod Median XL “Sigma” 1.0.0 Patch was Released
I just wanted to inform all you “Diablo” fans out there that the masterminds behind the “Diablo 2” mod “Median XL“, has just released the “Sigma” 1.0.0 patch for “Median XL”.

Furthermore, there is a brand-new trailer for “Median XL” to be watched via its official Youtube page as well (you can watch the said trailer further down the page). So don’t miss out on it =) (the latest version of “Median XL” is currently v0.3.1.0)

Bloody Spell is a Nioh-Style Martial Arts RPG Coming To Steam Early Access

This is a martial arts action role-playing game. The core of the game is battle-oriented, and it combines many fighting elements. If you are a player who pursues blood and is brave enough to challenge the limits, it will definitely inspire your adrenaline and bring you the best combat experience.
Dysmantle A Post-Apoc RPG Lets You Break 99% Of Everything

Ascend from your shelter. Ruin everything. Escape the wretched island. Explore. Fight. Level up. Survive. Gather. Craft. Harvest. Hunt. Build. Farm. Solve puzzles. Fish. Cook. Live. Enjoy the bittersweet post-apocalypse.

Double as unrelated and hijack before an official newsbit.

Disjunction is a single-player, cyberpunk, stealth-action RPG set in the dystopian underworld of New York City. The game follows the interconnected narratives of three characters as they unravel a mystery that will change the fate of their city.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/979310/Disjunction/
A reactive story where your choices have real consequences.
Alpha demo is available for everyone who want to try it.

Trailer:

Torchlight Frontiers Community Development Dev Stream

Join Tyler and Jared for the first dev stream of 2019! Featuring new systems and changes thanks to your feedback.
Baldur's Gate Companions are the Cornerstone of the Series - PCGamer
The twisting trails and torchlit tunnels of the Sword Coast would be lonely without a friend or two to share the journey or, sometimes, to also walk ahead and check for traps. While the prudent adventurer builds a party balanced by all the standard classes and capabilities, powerful warriors alongside erudite clerics and canny rogues, Baldur’s Gate has always been as much about who these characters were as what they could do. I have no doubt that, like me, you remember your favourite character’s one-liners far better than you remember their stats.
Thea 2: The Shattering Q&A Session #2
Welcome back! We are pretty surprised that the first Q&A got so much attention. You have asked a lot of questions (some of them even got answered in some form in the latest patch), so let’s pick the next 5!
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Update - Beta and the Final Game
Hello everyone!

We would like to share with you some advancement on the final game and how are things going in Wolcen Studio at the moment.

I. Status of the Team and current progression

Wolcen Studio now counts 33 employees at the office, and more will be joining us in the next months to reinforce the crew.

Our programming and game design teams are focussed on the Gameplay Beta transition and the revamps needed to finalize the gameplay.
  • The artists are working on Act II and Act III content.
  • All the armors are done for the entire game.
  • The 4 Apocalyptic Forms are fully designed and are going through concept.
  • The character artists are currently working on pets, including Kickstarter reward pets, validated apocalyptic forms, NPCs, and unique items.
II. Beta advancement

We are progressing well on the Beta, but we have some refactoring to do that might take us some time. Like I told you on the last news, it is important that we finalize these revamps in order to avoid an early wipe. Even if this means that the Beta will arrive later.
Queen's Wish - January 2019 Update
Another shorter update. Primary design continues.

We just finished the third “chunk” of the world, out of about eight chunks. Internal testing is going well. Artists are making art. An August PC/Mac release still seems likely.

Also, we took a week off for the holidays. It was nice.

The earlier parts of designing the world tend to be the hard parts. That is because early on is where the quest hubs are placed. These are sections where someone tries to guide the player through one of the paths of the game. This requires a ton of dialogue, and dialogue is the most time-consuming part of my designs. Also, it requires everything in the plot to be in place. Anything I forgot to address or did a half-hearted job on, I have to return to and come up with a real answer.

With this last big chunk of work, I have finished all of the quest hubs. The whole plot of the game is in place. I have a lot to implement, in lots of cities and dungeons. I know what will be there, though, and that is great.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Band of Bastards Teaser

Breach - Sniper Class Trailer

Anthem Developer Blog - One Month to Go
Well folks, this is it! It was a little over 6 years ago that we first started working on Anthem, and we’re down to exactly one month left until launch.

Back in 2012 when we first conceived of Anthem (then codenamed DYLAN), we wanted to create a whole new fictional universe, full of BioWare quality story and character. We also wanted it to be an experience you could share with friends, and to have a story that doesn’t just come to an end, but takes place in a world where things are happening right now.
ATOM RPG - Now Available on GOG.
ATOM RPG is a turn-based post-apocalyptic indie roleplaying game, inspired by classic CRPGs like Fallout 1 - 2, Wasteland, Baldur's Gate and many others.

In 1986 both the Soviet Union and the Western Bloc were destroyed in mutual nuclear bombings. 20 years have passed since that terrible war, and struggling societies of survivors once again emerged from the radioactive dust in a vast and unruly place now known only as The Soviet Wasteland.

You are one of the survivors, a member of a government organization that was created before the war, to secure the knowledge and the technologies of the past. Your mission is to explore the wild and wondrous world of the Soviet Wastes. To find your missing comrades. To help the struggling people in their plight. And to investigate a mysterious force, which has its own cryptic plans for the surviving remnants of humanity…
Phoenix Point Development Update -Access Granted Update
Happy New Year!

Ok, so it’s almost the end of January and this is the first update of 2019. There’s been a lot of design and implementation happening over the last three weeks with a large amount of that going into the Phoenix Project bases themselves.

The Phoenix bases play a very important role in both terms of narrative and gameplay. From the title base, Phoenix Point, down to all of the other bases you will discover and reactivate as you explore the world - it is vital that we really nail these player controlled facilities.
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Update #109 - New Year, New Plans
Since launch, we've continued to improve Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption with content and combat improvements, bug fixes, and other new features. The latest "Patch 4" makes the Wraith Sorcerer combat more challenging and fixes some problems with Katie's quests and the Aeolus romance options.

We've also made a much-requested change to movement speed. While the standard walk, run, and sneak speed are designed to work best with the movement animation, some players prefer to be able to move faster through the hallways. The Options screen now has a Movement Speed slider that lets you customize character movement speed.

There's a detailed update on the patch over at the Hero-U news blog. Keep an eye on that page, because more updates are coming soon! We're already working on a Patch 5 that fixes some combat display and audio issues along with some incorrectly-displayed text messages. That will be a minor patch, likely coming next week.
Grim Dawn Grim Misadventure #155 - Refined Look
Grim Misadventures is here with another peek inside Grim Dawn!

Last time, we took a long look down 2018’s memory lane. At the end of that update, we left you with a few teasers of what’s still to come. Needless to say, the Forgotten Gods expansion is rapidly approaching as we enter the final stages of development and playtesting (we recently had an opportunity for more playtesters to join us!).

However, the expansion will also coincide with a patch to the game, which we are enumerating v1.1.0.0. As previously mentioned, this update will come with the x64 game client, changes to Cunning and Spirit and a mysterious new feature.

Well, today we’d like to talk to you all about what this mystery is! I dare say, it’s something that’s been on our wishlist (and yours) for a long time.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Turn-Based Combat Mode

Obsidian Entertainment has revealed that a new way to play Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is coming on Thursday, January 24th with the next update. Once the patch is deployed, players starting a new PoE2 playthrough will be able to do so using a turn-based combat system. This allows players to choose between turn-based or real-time with pause modes, though the TBS mode will be considered "beta".
Path of Exile - Status Update and Patch Notes
Last week we posted an outline of our development plans for 2019. We also wanted to keep you up-to-date about what we're specifically working on at the moment.

Earlier this week, we deployed Patch 3.5.2 which addressed many of the remaining bugs with Betrayal. Since then, we have been doing server and client hotfixes for remaining issues. We are keeping a close eye on bug reports and will continue to fix things as they crop up.

Next week we're starting the press tour for 3.6.0 where we'll show journalists what the upcoming expansion includes. We expect to announce full details on approximately February 14. We can't wait to show you what we've been working on since Betrayal.

The finishing touches of the PlayStation 4 version are almost done, and we're going through the relevant certification and approval processes. It's looking very likely that it'll launch alongside 3.6.0, or even before it with a Beta. We'll let you know more information as we get it!

ExileCon planning progress is going well and we hope to open up ticket sales as soon as we have worked out the subtle logistics of pass types, whether and where there's a party, etc, etc. This is likely in the next couple of weeks (which would give people a decent 9-10 month buffer of time to prepare!)

Remember to check out the community race event that Kammell has arranged this weekend!
Thea 2: The Shattering - Update #30
Before I give you an update on our Thea 2 progress, we have some exciting news from Thea-verse.

Today marks a newest chapter in the expansion of Thea universe. Thea: The Awakening becomes available on Nintendo Switch and you will be able to play on February 1st.

Thea 2: The Shattering progress report

Apart from continuing work on balance, especially skills and classes, we have three major areas that we want to push out: Research, Logbook and Seasons.

Work for the loogbook is already partially done, although it will take a while to input the right descriptions and assign tags and then test it all. But once done, it should improve how quests are played.
Anthem Hands-On Impressions - Wccftech
Anthem arrives in less than a month, and yet, there still seems to be a considerable amount of confusion surrounding BioWare’s first new IP in over a decade. People have compared the co-op shooter to Destiny, but BioWare insists the similarities are only skin deep. So, what is Anthem all about? What drives the game? How does it play and flow once you really sit down and delve into its alien world?

Thankfully, I recently got a chance to play around six hours of Anthem at a preview event at EA headquarters. I sampled a few early missions from the full game, tried out the just-released demo, and delved into some end-game content, although we won’t be talking about the latter in detail today. I walked away with a better understanding of what BioWare is trying to achieve, what they’ve done right, and what they really need to work on. Let’s blast off into the world of Anthem…

Anthem VIP Demo World Premiere - IGN Plays Live

The Elder Scrolls: Legends - Isle of Madness Expansion Available

Sheogorath is coming back to TESLegends with our upcoming Isle of Madness story expansion!
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Update - Patch v4.1
Greetings, Watchers,

Josh Sawyer cordially invites you to experience Deadfire in a completely new way through our turn-based mode, now live in beta form.

Accessing Turn-Based Mode Beta

To start playing in turn-based mode, simply make sure that you have Patch 4.1 downloaded, and then start a new game! A window will appear that will let you select the combat mode you wish your new game to stay in. Clicking the button with the question mark will further expand the nuances between the two modes or, you can check out the image below to see for yourself!

Beta Feedback and End

As Josh said in his video, please send us feedback and any bugs that you might find! The team is much smaller now and we need to lock up our code for console ports, but we will definitely try to get to as much as we can. We will continue to take feedback until the end of February, so please let us know what you think!
Forged of Blood - January Progress Update
2018 came and went so quickly, and before we knew it, it’s 2019! I know that we’ve been so very quiet this year, and the fact is we just had to dig down and power through everything that we needed to do to get Forged of Blood where we’d like to be. We just had to take it one bug, one feature, one quest, one day at a time.

A lot of the work we’ve been doing over the last year has been on the back end of the production – hooking up features, testing, refactoring, optimizing, writing and rewriting – and for the most part there just isn’t a lot to share as part of these blog posts. With so many things to do, it was admittedly easier to just get into the rhythm and keep going.

Most Anticipated RPGs of 2019 - WCCFTech
Let’s face it, the confirmed list of roleplaying games coming in 2019 isn’t the most exciting we’ve had to write in recent years. That’s mostly because heavyweights like Cyberpunk 2077 and Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord don’t have any solid release windows yet, which formally disqualifies them for the purposes of this list. Of course, if one or both of them unexpectedly turned up this year, the outlook for roleplaying games fans in 2019 would dramatically improve. Even without those titles, though, there are still a great number of adventures to get lost in, from methodical turn-based tactical RPGs to fast-paced action adventure types.
Anthem - VIP Demo Update Message
Yesterday was rocky. The first day of our VIP demo weekend did not go exactly as we planned, and I want to share what happened.

We've been testing the entire game and platform for several months, but there were a few things we missed; real-world play frequently leads to unexpected issues. Before I share details on this and what we're still facing, I want to dispel one comment we've seen: that we under-planned for server capacity. To ensure stability, we intended to manage our servers to match the player population as it grew. Overall, we had excess capacity prepared for population increases, and continue to do so. That said, what’s important is that all parts of the game work as designed to meet players’ needs, and that did not happen in the opening hours.
Disco Elysium - From Render to Paintover - Blog Post
In this post I’ll show how we give more life to our world by mixing realtime objects with the hand-painted background.

Everything that is animated, is possible to pick up, or appears only in certain times will be added to the game in realtime instead of being painted into the background. That includes NPCs, vegetation, collectables, particles, etc.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Custom Battles - Developer Blog
Greeting warriors of Calradia!

In Mount & Blade games, no matter how cunning you are, eventually you will be forced to take to the field of battle in unfavourable conditions. However, in Bannerlord, battles aren’t a simple numbers game. With the right units and tactics, encounters that seem hopeless can be turned to your advantage. But, a wise commander wouldn’t throw away the lives of their troops as part of a learning experience; they would do everything in their power to increase their chances of success by improving their tactical knowhow.

The Custom Battle feature allows players to do just that -- in a safe, controlled, and highly customisable environment!
Fallout 76 Survival Mode Preview- Development Update
Since the launch of Fallout 76, we’ve received lots of feedback from some of our more competitive players who requested greater challenge, fewer restrictions, and more incentives when it comes to PVP combat. With this in mind, we began developing Survival mode, which will bring a new way for you to engage in even more demanding, high-stakes, and deadly adventures in Fallout 76. We’re still hard at work on this mode internally and plan to bring it to the live game in phases as we add more content and features over time. Here’s a preview of what you can expect from Survival when phase 1 opens for beta testing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom