Tactica Squares or Hexagones the Ultimate Tactics question

Tactica: Maiden of Faith

Squares or Hexagones ?

• Squares!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hexagones!

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Something else? please tell me what in the thread!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
Help me! The system I have worked on is using a square based grid! ( however it will not be so huge work to change to hexagones )

But I see more and more games using hexagones and fewer and fewer with squares…. the more I think about hexagones the more I am thinking about changing…. they have the big benefit of the same length in every direction / instead of like for squares to have diagonals be longer.

Please help me with this hard question!!! Squares or Hexagones ! If you have a another innovative idea I would also like to hear about it….

Last edited:
A hexagonal grid allows for more strategy in combat since there are more potential points of contact (whether attacking or defending). Perhaps the whole distance issue matters for your particular system, but generally that's a non-issue either way so it doesn't carry much weight in the discussion.

With the square, you've got 1 front, 2 maneuver directions (sides), and 1 retreat. With the hex, you've got 3 fronts, 4 maneuver directions, and 3 retreats. Lots more options with the hex, obviously.

Square is easier to implement I'm sure, and in most RPGs it's fine. For games that are more tactical, hexes are more used. They are better for 'round' area spells like fireballs and grenades too. They also allow for more 'flankers' (i.e. now you have 4 side attackers, one backstabber and one front attacker) so you can have, say, +2 to attack by the flankers and +4 for the backstabber, or things like, shield bonus only applies to the 3 front sides, etc.
I like hexes, I think they provide some nice tactical dynamics.

Including the diagonals, a square has eight points of contact, while a hex only has six. There are pluses and minuses either way. For example, it's easier to turtle on a hex-based grid (as the Fantasy General AI has demonstrated to me ad nauseum). Is that a good thing? Depends on the gameplay experience you're aiming for.

I am already using squeres with 9 connection points..... the problem I have is about moving... how do you allow a person to move in diagonal?

It currently costs 30% more to move in diagonal... but I am not sure about that.

That I am using 9 connection points might change the opinion from several people who write here??

I am already using squeres with 9 connection points….. the problem I have is about moving… how do you allow a person to move in diagonal?

It currently costs 30% more to move in diagonal… but I am not sure about that.
That's a pretty standard approach and has been used successfully in tons of games.
That I am using 9 connection points might change the opinion from several people who write here??
While I still find hex to be cleaner, it's not like squares would be a "minus" for the game, IMO. I'm sure you'll have no problems making that system work if you decide to go that direction.

Honestly, I don't care.

At least as long as this game will be fun. ;)

Definitely hex grids, with more flanking options and so on.

First off, what kind of feel are you going for in the combat?

As said, hex offers a bit more variety and more options when maneuvering units. It's also 'sexier' to today's gamers, not that turn based is considered sexy anymore.

If a strategic combat system is your ideal; one that brings back memories of games like Steel Panthers: World at War more than Bard's Tale, then hex might be the way to go.

However, I don't think a square grid is any less capable, just that from a marketing standpoint, hex might be better.

As for me personally, I don't care. Even if I'm not wowed by the combat system, as long as there's plenty of other stuff to grab and keep my attention, I'll happily ignore it.

Inspite of the big favor of hexagones… I found myself trashing the system…. not because of combat but because of the outside world….. hexagones works quite well for combat….. but everything in the game take place in the world "There is no battle mode" which change the perspective or graphics….. so for this reason I have after all decided to stay with the little squares…. otherwise it would be "Hexplore" all over again :D

Back
Top Bottom