|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Are Chanters Baggage in the Original Game?

Default Are Chanters Baggage in the Original Game?

February 21st, 2019, 02:10
I had to drop my Priest temporarily to pick up a Chanter that has a region quest (Kana in Caed Nua). Perhaps I'm playing him wrong because he is serious baggage. Fights are generally over before he gets to his 3rd chant to enable summoning. Am I doing something wrong? Also the Arquebus is nice to fire off but after that its useless until the fight is over as well. Missing my ugly Priest Durance!
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

February 21st, 2019, 03:01
If you are fully patched up then it might be how you are playing it.

I am going through the game with a chanter tank in Path of the Damned difficulty. I would never use it as a healer tho.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

February 21st, 2019, 03:09
Chanters are the easiest class to solo the game with.

Early on, fights will be generally over before he gets enough phrases for invocations, but then the best Chanter build is chant based, not invocation based.

The Arquebus are supposed to be fired as an opener and then you switch to another set of weapon. Kana comes with an Estoc if I remember properly (it's one of the best melee weapon type), he has good accuracy and health so he can stand in melee with it.

Check his chants. His starter chant setup is crap outside one specific situation (will/fortitude attacks via At the Sight of their Comrades, their Hearts Grew Bold, useful against spores early on, you get better stuff later for it).

They take a few levels to get into things, until you get level 2 chants really (level 3 chants is where things start to get real goods though).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

February 21st, 2019, 06:26
I dropped him for a bit to do another mission. I'll try rebalancing him when I get back to it.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

February 21st, 2019, 15:09
So 21 hours into this and I know I'm late to the party here but holy hell this is a fantastic game. Reflecting on what people have bitched about I don't see it. Not yet anyway. Leveling is slow due to XP accumulation but I'm far more distracted by the compelling story, rich dialog and the world. My only complain (barring the Chanter) is the annoying pathfinding during combat. Did they do it on purpose to be *exactly* like the Infinity Games? LOL
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

February 21st, 2019, 16:32
The problem was mainly the state it was released in. It wasn't super buggy, but combat felt a bit "meh". They improved a lot of aspects in later patches and the DLCs, so it's currently in a very good shape.

Edit: That being said, it was critically acclaimed upon release as well, but I think a lot of people missed D&D and its implementation in the Infinity Engine.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

February 21st, 2019, 16:33
You are playing on the latest version of the game, it helps. Pathfinding used to be worst too.

Most people complains about act 3 when it comes to the story (and the optional backer NPCs), unless they didn't like the mood/atmosphere of the entire game.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

February 21st, 2019, 16:36
I watched a review of Tyranny last night where the reviewer said POE was “boring” so he was approaching Tyranny with caution. To each his own I guess. I like to dark brooding mood of this game.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Are Chanters Baggage in the Original Game?