Last game you finished, tell us about it

The sexy brutale. Fantastic little game. At least, for the limited things it sets out to do, it does very well. It is a puzzle adventure game, but the puzzles are not that hard. And as it is not too long either, you play it mostly for exploration. Figuring out the patterns of all the servants and the murders, which can be quite morbid, is lots of fun. As a bonus the story and ending has some deeper meaning and is certainly satisfying.

It was a hassle to set up the controller right though. You can play with keyboard and mouse but I wouldn't recommend it.

Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt

Positively superb storytelling and presentation - but underwhelming as a game, and especially as an open world CRPG.

Glad I experienced it, though.

7.5/10
So you did finish it, but what about the expansions?

My favorite was Blood and Wine, but Hearts of Stone wasn't bad.

So for me Witcher III gets a 9/10.

Doubt I will ever play a game as good as this until Cyberpunk 2077 gets released.

As good as 9/10? So... 10/10 doesn't exist and CP will also be 9/10? :evilgrin:

As good as 9/10? So… 10/10 doesn't exist and CP will also be 9/10? :evilgrin:
Nope sorry I rarely score a game 10/10.

That includes the Original Sin games also given their beloved status.

Seriously can't remember the last game either and I play over 50+ games a year.

So you did finish it, but what about the expansions?

My favorite was Blood and Wine, but Hearts of Stone wasn't bad.

So for me Witcher III gets a 9/10.

Doubt I will ever play a game as good as this until Cyberpunk 2077 gets released.

You didn't read very thoroughly ;)

No expansions for now....

You didn't read very thoroughly ;)

No expansions for now….
Nope its a bad habit of mine.:p

I only quoted your first reply and moved on from the last page.

So back on topic I just finished Tides Of Numenera.

Final verdict : 6.5/10

Guess I expected to much from a game that's a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment. It just doesn't compare and one flaw is no remarkable companions.

Don't get me wrong it has companion quests, but the companions just feel like tag alongs. As they don't hold a candle to Annah, Fall-from-Grace, and Morte.

Guess "What can change the nature of a man." is more compelling then a god castoff trying to survive. Both games at least used amnesia as a major plot point at least.

Finished >observer_ yesterday.

Observer bills itself as a "Cyberpunk horror" game. Steam lists it as an adventure game, and I tend to agree more with the latter.

The game is set in 2084 in Kraków, Poland, and you play as an Observer - a special type of cop who can hack into people's brain implants as part of your interrogation process.

The voice-overs for the PC were done by Rutger Hauer, and you also kind of look like him. Every line of dialogue for every character is voiced, and I though it was generally very well done.

It's a very plot-heavy game, and there isn't really much there in terms of gameplay. You move around in a typical first-person manner as you explore the apartment complex where most of the game takes place. You can scan the environment with various vision modes to help pick things out of the background. Think Detective mode like the Batman Arkham games but more complex. There are also some puzzles to solve but nothing that's going to bend your brain.

There is no direct combat in the game. You can be killed however, and there are segments where you have to use stealth to avoid an enemy.

I won't go into any details about the plot. I'll just say that the game basically revolves around moving from one crime scene to another while unraveling the overarching story. That's not to say that there isn't any exploration, but it's minimal.

The game uses the Unreal 4 engine, and I thought the visuals were excellent both from a technical standpoint and artistically. The biggest influence was obviously Blade Runner, and at times I felt like I was actually in that same world.

Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed by the rest of the game. I've never been a big fan of psychological horror, and that's what Observer goes for. A lot of the scenes seemed to be weird just for the sake of being weird. There's too much time spent in dream-like states and not enough in the real world. While those segments produce some impressively trippy visuals, they just didn't really grab me, and I usually found myself rushing through them.

If you like Cyberpunk, and you're in the mood for a good story without caring about the gameplay, you'll probably really enjoy Observer. It didn't make me dream of electric sheep, but I can understand why it's been surprisingly popular.

6/10

Last edited:
Dragon age 2. The game started to grow on me somewhere in act 2 thanks to the story and companions. I did notice some significant differences depending on who you bring during a quest which I liked. However, the game did seem to punish me for my decisions:
- I went for a two-handed warrior -> Carver died
- I managed to keep Bethany alive but I never saw her again except for the last part of act 3 and only as a NPC
- I partnered up with Isabela and before I knew it she betrayed me and never came back. I was heartboken.
- So I went crying in the arms of Merril, whose entire clan I ended up murdering over a mirror. Poor girl, so vulnerable. I was heartbroken.
- I wanted to save the Qunari and ended up killing them all
- Towards the end of the game I was quite bitter and sided with the Templars murdering all mages, including Anders. Just to murder Meredith too one minute later

Not sure this is the typical playthrough but I have a feeling i did everything wrong. At least I saved my sister.
All in all, towards the end of the game I was relatively engrossed and wanted to see where things went leaving me with a satisfying feeling when it ended.

Caveat, I played on casual, didn't pay attention to leveling, equipment, etc. and just went through the battles mindlessly. I had a feeling the combat might have been interesting on normal difficulty (with all the spells and skills), but I don't think I could have stomached the endless waves of enemies and the bland, reused dungeons.

Maybe I should jump straight into DAI now. I noticed some recurring characters. They will not fool me twice so I will play as an elven mage to get the most out of it :)

@ilm;

IIRC, you haven't done anything wrong, regardless of what choice you make, the game throws you back similar ending:

This depends on what class you choose to play. You play warrior, Carver dies. You play mage, Bethany dies.

- I managed to keep Bethany alive but I never saw her again except for the last part of act 3 and only as a NPC

Same with Carver. He will run off to join Wardens because he is so ashamed of his sibling being a mage (as in, you).

- I partnered up with Isabela and before I knew it she betrayed me and never came back. I was heartboken.

You didn't build up enough friendly/rivalry point with her. She comes back with the book if you do.

- So I went crying in the arms of Merril, whose entire clan I ended up murdering over a mirror. Poor girl, so vulnerable. I was heartbroken.

I think either way, you end up murdering her entire clan. I can't recall this one clearly since I hated Merill's guts and erased her stuff from my memory.

I think if Isabella came back with the book, you can just kill Arishok and the rest of Qunari will go back peacefully.

- Towards the end of the game I was quite bitter and sided with the Templars murdering all mages, including Anders. Just to murder Meredith too one minute later

Again, no matter which faction you side with (Templar or mages), you end up killing both.

I think I liked DA2 somewhat in my first play through but when I realised choices I make literally don't make much difference, I really resented playing the game.

To be honest, most games have the same amount of impact on your choices as DA2 I think and usually less. The witcher 2 is almost the only exception. Still, I'd say losing companions for the entire game is quite significant, perhaps the endings are not the different yes.

Seems you can turn Bethany into a Grey warden if you let Anders join. Then you should get her back in your party in act 3

Dragon age 2. The game started to grow on me somewhere in act 2 thanks to the story and companions. I did notice some significant differences depending on who you bring during a quest which I liked. However, the game did seem to punish me for my decisions:

Not sure this is the typical playthrough but I have a feeling i did everything wrong. At least I saved my sister.
All in all, towards the end of the game I was relatively engrossed and wanted to see where things went leaving me with a satisfying feeling when it ended.

Caveat, I played on casual, didn't pay attention to leveling, equipment, etc. and just went through the battles mindlessly. I had a feeling the combat might have been interesting on normal difficulty (with all the spells and skills), but I don't think I could have stomached the endless waves of enemies and the bland, reused dungeons.

Maybe I should jump straight into DAI now. I noticed some recurring characters. They will not fool me twice so I will play as an elven mage to get the most out of it :)

If that comforts you, you didn't have the worst DA2 playthrough. ;)

- Carver/Bethany can die in the end of Act 1 Deep Road if you bring them along and do not have Anders in the party. If Anders is there, they become Wardens (and Bethany hates it).

- Circle Bethany can be killed at the end of the game depending on your choices of Mage/Templar and a bunch of other things.

- For Isabela, it's complicated. High rival/friendship makes her come back in act 3, but there is a way to have her show up with the book to give the Arishok too. You can also give her to the Arishok if she is in the party at the time. Book+ Isabela and I believe "high standing" with the Arishok allow you to avoid bloodshed entirely. Dueling the Arishok solo makes the other Qunari leave too (might require high standing to unlock that option though).

- If you recruit Fenris, you can give him back to his owner at some point.

- You can reach the Meredith's boss fight with only Varric and Aveline left and technically Aveline could dump you if you side with the mage and haven't rivaled/friended her enough. All the other companions can die or leave you.

- There is a way to avoid killing Merrill's clan though.

ESO - Finished may not be the right word as its a MMO but my time with it has come to end mainly due to the new WoW expansion.

I am ending the game after a good 250 hours as level 50 DK with 250CP.

I mostly played the new Summerset chapter from start to end with some bits from the base game and various other DLCs. Compared to release, the game looks very beautiful. The zones are designed very well and joy to explore. Lots of hidden items and stuff to find. Also you are not lead from quest hub to quest hub, you have to explore to find them. They are all fully voiced acted and the stories are all really well done for MMOs and in some cases good as some quest you will find in a single player rpg.

I liked the combat system, loot and progression system. You can have so many different builds and customise to your play style. People do post builds online but none of them seems like the "best" build and my build was always my own taken on what I am doing. So I was very surprised by the variety. Having said that, I have only done some Vet dungeons and they were not the hardest (as I am not high level enough for those, need 300+ CP) so thing may be different at that level.

I also enjoyed the PVP as well. They have different types of PvP games and even me who suck in PvP found way to make myself useful and I was contributing to the matches in meaningful way. This again is testament to their combat system.

The downside to the game is their character models and animation. Its very hard to make good looking characters! The animations are terrible ad this unfortunately take away from their good combat system. There is no weight to your action, you never feel the impact of any thing you do and part of the issue is bad or non existent sound effects. My pet peev is the running animation on all male characters, as they run like if they have stick stuck up their arse! I hope they work on these for their next expansion :)

Anyway ESO is highly recommended. I would rate is as 7/10! You should play it even if you don't like multiplayer as this is primarily a single player game with optional multiplayer elements. You don't really have to deal with any other person if you don't want to. You are not forced in anyway to interact with other people.

....it's a pity you go back to WoW. I haven't seen you online once - you always seem to logout just when I login...

My Summerset character is still level 32... I'm taking the very slow approach (I mean... I have played over 2600 hours and have only 4 lvl 50 chars out of 10, CP NOT maxed at that?).

Last game I finished was Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. While I was not too fond of the 'no chaos' approach, it made for a pretty wild gaming experience. No remorse, no regrets...!

….it's a pity you go back to WoW. I haven't seen you online once - you always seem to logout just when I login…

My Summerset character is still level 32… I'm taking the very slow approach (I mean… I have played over 2600 hours and have only 4 lvl 50 chars out of 10, CP NOT maxed at that?).

Last game I finished was Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. While I was not too fond of the 'no chaos' approach, it made for a pretty wild gaming experience. No remorse, no regrets…!

I play late these days, normally from 9pm - 10pm UK time so I guess it bed time for you Europeans :)

Like Darth says, I will be back in about two or three months once my wife gets bored of WoW :) I really didn't want to play the new expansion but its the only game she will play and it can be fun to play together most of the time! She loves to play the auction house in WoW and I get to spend all the gold she makes, its so much fun :p

I have just finished of those games https://brutes.dmnd.games/ The peculiarity of the game is that you can create a unique in appearance, and the combat characteristics of the character with weapons and armor. Winning in the arena, you earn points and then become an unshakable champion of the Arena!

Yesterday I finished off Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter. A big improvement over the first game, especially in scope and sheer size. The prior game is a bit primitive whereas this second chapter is more like one of the Cold Steel games. You have a good size roster to choose from, if you like mage types there are a few to develop and if you prefer melee, the same applies. It's a really good game, you won't need to grind in it but do expect to spend quite some time if you plan on doing all the quests, some of them are lengthy and quite involved.

Up next for me, the third game!!!

Back
Top Bottom