Siege of Dragonspear - Released

He was being obviously sarcastic, I don't know how you missed the cue.

I did indeed wonder about that. A professional writer normally knows how to make sarcasm a bit more obvious though, what with the written word being such a notoriously difficult medium for sarcasm. Such as starting the next sentence "but seriously" or having more "oh me oh mys" type over-exaggerations. It's taken until you for someone to suggest it, for example…

Oh, and on the topic of 5 or 6 disks, by some weird coincidence of fate, the local charity shop had the original BG in it's big box hidden in its glass cabinet today (charging £17.99) and it said 5 disks on the box. *shrug*

I've got to say as much as Bg2 is the better game there is something about low level d&d that makes the game quite replayable for me. Maybe its the fact that each level is significant or maybe I just like exploring the gameworld but whatever I rarely find myself bored playing this game. Mind you my mind state when I play this is to relax and enjoy the experience and I'm not looking to rush things.

I think that is the problem for others when they play Bg1. :)

I think this is a problem with most games actually. I often find myself quiting when I start getting too powerful.

It's not rare for me to replay the beginning to first half of games several times and end up never finishing the game.

@Sacred_Path

Seems like either people are too busy playing to comment or nobody started yet. I installed, but I haven't started it because I'm playing something else right now (many something else actually) and I want to do a full replay of the BG Saga.

I think this is a problem with most games actually. I often find myself quiting when I start getting too powerful.

It's not rare for me to replay the beginning to first half of games several times and end up never finishing the game.

I do that often as well. I much prefer low level RPG gameplay.

@Sacred_Path

Seems like either people are too busy playing to comment or nobody started yet. I installed, but I haven't started it because I'm playing something else right now (many something else actually) and I want to do a full replay of the BG Saga.

To be fair, the title of the thread is "released today" with a descriptor saying 30 hours of gameplay. If someone chooses this day to ask "has anyone actually played it yet".. well... you do the math. As for "playing comments", I can't see anything much that's off-topic to Baldur's gate nor the articles posted, and it all keeps the post at the top of the page while people are playing it, and I suspect most lurkers will just be reading the first post and skimming these kind of posts, so I'm forever bemused by people's haste to throw stones the very second the opportunity presents itself.

I've no doubt there'll be more and better threads both in news and the general forum where more useful actual game-related conversations will emerge. You're experienced here, you should understand that?

BGII was on 6 cds, IIRC. Still sits on my shelf. :)

Seems to me the different numbers might be based on different international versions. Maybe the US version only had five disks but I am also pretty sure that my original boxed version came with six disks here in Germany (DE version, not EU). The different languages might have caused the number of CDs to vary.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I want to do a full epic replay of the whole saga, but that'll have to wait for a while. It's probably not a bad thing to leave it for a time, as there'll most likely be plenty of patching, and some of the features from SoD ported into the other EE editions.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I want to do a full epic replay of the whole saga, but that'll have to wait for a while. It's probably not a bad thing to leave it for a time, as there'll most likely be plenty of patching, and some of the features from SoD ported into the other EE editions.

BG:EE and BG2:EE have already been patched yesterday with the new features and a bunch of bug fixes. More a to come, Beamdog talked about weeks and not months between future patches.

This the TL;DR version:
- New Class: The Shaman
- New Cleric Kit: The Priest of Tyr (from IWD:EE)
- Class Ability Tweak: Poison Weapon now scales with levels
- Item Tweak: Stupefier +1 has been adjusted to be more in line with the game's other equipment
- Spell Tweak: Enchanted Weapon now modifies the target's existing weapons
- Items can now be placed in the Off-Hand slot while ranged and two-handed weapons are equipped
- Steam Cloud Save support has been added (Steam only)
- Achievements have been added (Steam only)
- The User Interface has been overhauled with a new system
- Dozens of modder-friendly enhancements
- Hundreds of bug fixes

The entire release note is 30 pages long.

To be fair, the title of the thread is "released today" with a descriptor saying 30 hours of gameplay. If someone chooses this day to ask "has anyone actually played it yet".. well… you do the math.

I was asking for first impressions, not people's opinion on the ending. :p

For me Baldur's Gate (with all its flaws) was the game that made me the RPG-fan I am today. I have played blobbers and RPG-type games before, but this game immersed me into its world like no other before.

I also love the what-you-see-is-what-you-get approach to loot and that most unique artifacts had a story and always were great finds.

I will do a new run of the EE and then get the expansion. But first I have to finish the Witcher 3, which will take some 100 hours more (more action than role-playing, but man, do I love this world and lore).

I was asking for first impressions, not people's opinion on the ending. :p
I will tell you today after I get to play it more than 15 minutes.

Beamdog installer went bust because of too much traffic so probably only people that got it through Steam can say anything. GoG also is still not selling it but should start soon.

If you insist…

*Snip*

I don't quote these as a case for my thoughts on BG1, I quote them because most are/were prolific users (not random trolls) and, once you dig a bit, you realise that, yes JDR, you are aware of these viewpoints and responded to practically all of them, in much the same vein. It's not that there's a matter of right or wrong here, but just a sense of awkwardness in your choice of words.

for the more rounded generalisation I made you only have to look at a poll couchpoato made:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=151

To which BG comes out last bar IWD2, IWD2's problems being more complex than general apathy. Beamdog themselves have a thread on their forum asking "Do you get bored at some point of the BG games?" which has people talking about this subject, quite happily as if it was a normal conversation.

But I do understand if you wish to attack anyone who suggests they've seen the word boring attached to Baldur's Gate 1 enough to understand why it's considered the most boring IE game (which is akin to asking which is the most boring Da Vinci artwork) because you're so used to doing it ;)

I'm not sure whether it's funny or sad that you invested that much of your time to dig through multiple threads to find all of those quotes. If nothing else, it definitely says something about you.

Yes, Baldur's Gate must be boring because you found a few people that don't like it as much as others. Nevermind that the overwhelming majority have a different opinion.

I also like how you tried to project that I was actually "attacking" you simply by disagreeing that BG is boring. However, I doubt anyone here is falling for that. :)

Apparently the new ui is not being favourably received. Its a touch concerning to me that they would mess with the feel of the game like this (nwn style boxy ui etc) so hopefully some changes are made.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49728/lets-discuss-the-direction-of-the-new-ui#latest

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/371918937260108336/

I've start a play through of BGEE and I hope they don't change anything with the UI. It's clear and well laid out. All the juicy stats right at my fingertips and I really like the way they redid the journal.

Im not someone that needs them to keep the look of the old game though, it's an enhanced edition after all, I expect a fresh coat of paint and I'm totally fine if it's a different color.

The Game still has the feel of BG to me and a much better UI. Win, win.

Some enterprising modder will no doubt make a "classic" UI interface that reverts all the major changes that Beamdog made to the interface, just wait. There is a section on the forums where it was said by the developers that they made the UI much more modder friendly, so I'm sure mods will be coming that adjust the UI in various ways. Personally, I don't understand why they had to monkey with it, I thought it was fine just as it was, and now, they have patched the Baldur's Gate EE editions so you are stuck with their new interface, like it or not. Modders to the rescue, again! (grin)

For myself, I hated the blu-ish colored interface that beamdog did on the EE edition, but a modder did a mod which changes the colors back to a brownish shade, which I liked much better. The point is, there will be a mod for those who prefer the older interface sooner or later...

One other thing, the original Baldur's Gate was on 5 CDs, here is a page to view pictures of it. Moby games is a good site if you are interested in details like this, they usually have pictures of original packaging and details for a lot of older games...
http://www.mobygames.com/game/baldurs-gate/cover-art

The original US release of Baldurs Gate was 5 cds + 1 for TotSC. Bg2 was then 4 CD's + 1 bonus cd and 1 cd for ToB. Bg1 was then re-released utilising bg2 compression on a reduced CD count. Their was actually complaining at the time that BG2 had reduced content as it came on less CD's… This was from the dumb nerd brigade who couldn't wrap their heads around compression.

Back
Top Bottom