Exploding kittens card game

Nameless one

Wizzard
This project isn't something I will back or something I care about I am here to ask how can something like this get $2 MILLION in 24 hours?How can something like this become kickstarter phenomenon?

Don't get me wrong it's cute idea and it involves oathmeal who has good following but this is going to beat Project eternity(pillars of eternity now) very soon, game is sitting on $2.5m with 28 more days to go.

It baffles me as well as most Kickstarter RPG games can't even get $25,000.
smiley-whacky115.gif

I'm not really following kickstarter but wtf. I looks like a relativly simple (but perhaps funny) cardgame. I don't think a cardgame is comparable to a niche RPG PC game. The target market is different. Cardgames are more popular. In my circles cardgames are popular even with people not interested in boardgames.
But this this is completly overfunded. I think the guys will never have to work again ;) I estimate that the the production values are way below $100.000. I like cardgames but I would never pledge for a overfunded (simple looking) game because they don't need the money. It would be different if they were struggling but they don't. So I don't understand this.
And its sad that some interesting projects who really need the money gets overlooked.

Popularity of the creator seems to have a big effect and internet group dynamics can win over common sense.

Last edited:
Yea, but it's exploding kittens man!
Someone should quickly license exploding chicken from Allo Allo TV show.

As crazy as this is, it actually sounds like a fun game! But it's kind of, I don't know, insane? To think Deathfire could only raise $200k in an entire campaign and this card game gets $2.5m in 1 day! Yikes. (And yes, I'm still upset about Deathfire not getting funded :()

67,000 backers. The guy hoped to sell a thousand copies :) Maybe he could hire Todd McFarlane. Todd might need a rebound project after the Amalur debacle.

To this day I dunno what went wrong with Amalur.
People claim they want grinding and it's rare to find someone who thinks like me that grinding is the worst possible design. Yet I bought the game (for 5 bucks and still didn't try it to be honest), how come everyone else weren't there to buy a copy?

Looks like a fun game and one that could easily be shared with your family at night instead of plopping down in front of the TV/IPAD/Computer. Reminds me of Nuclear War :)

I, for one, am glad it's on a trajectory to beat the Project Eternity (or any other CRPG) Kickstarter. Person to person interaction should always trump an introverted experience; it seems like it's anything but that in the western world these days. And, yes, I backed Project Eternity.

I'm totally lost at the success of something like this, I cannot even fathom the concept. It reminds me of that kickstarter project that was created to make potato salad or something, lol.

It's because it's The Oatmeal. The concept is irrelevant. He has a massive fan base at this point.

Truth be told, some of his comics really are hilarious. We had a printed copy of this one in the office for quite some time:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

Person to person interaction should always trump an introverted experience; it seems like it's anything but that in the western world these days. And, yes, I backed Project Eternity.

Why exactly? Personally I think I often deal with people enough (far more than I care to) when I'm at work. People can be really damned annoying. I like being able to spend my free time engaged in a solo activity that doesn't require me to please anyone else; w/o any drama or bickering. Does that make me a bad person? A misanthrope? I'm sick of hate and bias people like you have towards introverts. Different people have different personalities and as long as you're not hurting anyone, you should be able to spend your free time however you choose.

That said, I also love spending time with my girlfriend. And our favorite "person-to-person interaction" requires neither a computer, nor a deck of cards :)

I'm a fan of The Oatmeal, but now it's just getting silly. He asked for $10.000 and in about a week he's got $4,313,526 (copied straight from the page), making it the biggest KS campaign ever. There's still 22 days to go.

At this rate, he'll get 15-20 million for a card game. There will no doubt be production costs and what not for the cards, but he'll still be set for life after this.

This is officially most backed campaign in kickstarter history it become that around 100k backers now there is around 136k with $5.3 million funding.

If underworld ascendant doesn't make it with this thing breaking records I am seriously gonna be pissed.

Back
Top Bottom