Gothic - Retrospective Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Jay Krishnan of IndianNoob looks back at Gothic:

Retro Saturdays Episode 22 :: Gothic

The year was 2002 and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind had taken the RPG market by storm. People were praising it left and right for pioneering the modern 3D RPG genre. Meanwhile in an another corner of the world, a 10 year old boy was enjoying the hell out of another 3D open world RPG. No, it wasn’t Bethtesda’s seminal title that went on to win countless awards. The game that had this little kid hooked was relatively unknown and was made by a small team of German developers who called themselves Piranha Bytes. The game was none another than Gothic, a game which is regarded as one of the best RPGs of all time in niche RPG circles, and one which does not hold much impact to the mainstream masses outside that circle. I’m hoping that those who are unfamiliar with Gothic will find this retrospective to be a bit informative, and those that are familiar with the cult classic will get a trip back to memory lane. Without further mumbo-jumbo, let’s take a look at Gothic, an RPG which was truly ahead of its time.

[...]

Gothic- The Legacy

Gothic, while a huge succes in Germany, didn’t get the appreciation it deserved outside the region at the time of release. It however garnered a huge cult following. Gothic was succeeded by Gothic II, which improved upon the game in almost every way imaginable. The map was made 10 times the size of Gothic. Hell, even the prison colony from the first game can be visited in Gothic II and that’s just a small portion of the map. An expansion called Night of the Raven was released for Gothic II. Gothic II and Night of the Raven now comes bundled as Gothic Gold. Gothic II was followed by Gothic 3, an ambitious game with a huge open world. Gothic 3 was ridddled with bugs and performance issues and was received poorly back when it came out. But nowadays Gothic 3 is made a pleasant experience thanks to a gigantic community patch. After making Gothic 3, Piranha Bytes lost the licence to JoWood and JoWood would go onto publish an expansion for Gothic 3 titled Forsaken Gods, and Arcania: Gothic 4, a sequel in name only. Both of these games were poorly received. Piranha Bytes then made the Risen series and Elex in the spirit of Gothic. Even though the Gothic licence is back in their hands, it doesn’t seem like Piranha Bytes is doing anything with it at the moment. Maybe we’ll see a remaster or a remake sometime in the future. In my opinion, Gothic is a modern masterpiece that should be played by fans of the RPG genre. It’s just a damn fine game man.
More information.

Without further mumbo-jumbo, let’s take a look at Gothic, an RPG which was truly ahead of its time.
- Save game anywhere
- No loadscreens (okay, except teleporting to a spot)
- No endless respawns bullshit
- Introduction of story c&c (factions)
- "Strange" controls that once you adapted weren't strange at all
- Voiceover and at that time beautiful graphics
- Exploration masterpiece

Yes. It was completely different from random mainstream garbage gaming journalists praised those days and it was ahead of it's time. I hope all those gaming journalists from those times got sacked not recognizing an unique gem.

While it wouldn't be as revolutionary today because it's core designs were adapted by some (CDpr), we're still seeing outdated rubbish in games. For example, checkpoints.
Who on earth still thinks in 2018. that checkpoints are an awsome design? Yet there was a small studio almost 20 years ago who knew back then it sux.

Last edited:
- Save game anywhere
- No loadscreens (okay, except teleporting to a spot)
- No endless respawns bullshit
- Introduction of story c&c (factions)
- "Strange" controls that once you adapted weren't strange at all
- Voiceover and at that time beautiful graphics
- Exploration masterpiece

Yes. It was completely different from random mainstream garbage gaming journalists praised those days and it was ahead of it's time. I hope all those gaming journalists from those times got sacked not recognizing an unique gem.

While it wouldn't be as revolutionary today because it's core designs were adapted by some (CDpr), we're still seeing outdated rubbish in games. For example, checkpoints.
Who on earth still thinks in 2018. that checkpoints are an awsome design? Yet there was a small studio almost 20 years ago who knew back then it sux.

I had fun going back to visit gothic in order to write this editorial. man the game still holds up today and it's truly a shame that some of Gothic's innovative features (such as the ability knockdown NPCs instead of killing them) remain unadpoted even to this day.

It also looks like I missed some points there :p
the no-load screens and enemies not respawning.
Hoping to write one for Gothic 2 sometime this year :)

Hands down Gothic 1 and 2 go down as a couple of my all-time favourite games. It's crazy how much they were bashed by the critics in North America at the time... people who are supposedly game lovers and you would think could appreciate the finer points of the experience they offered.

Dead man walki… erm… typing.

Gothic 2 still remains my favorite game, just because takes Gothic 1 and make it better.
I remember the first time i tried to play Gothic.. and the controls seemed so weird, put it down, and after a year or so looking trow my games I've tried it again and fell in love, it was like nothing else (I'm afraid it still is...)
After this I've played Gothic 2 with the control scheme from Gothic because the combat was so much fluent... oh good old times.. young and free =)))

Love the Gothics, and enjoyed Risen and Elex too. Definitely my sort of games. :)

Daniel.

And for anyone crazy enough to have not played it yet and considering it, the collection of Gothics is on sale right now on GOG, for less than $3 per title. Pretty good deal for some of the best RPGs (arguably) ever made.

A lot of people here will be divided on games like Infinity Engine style games, Bethesda games, MMOs, etc. But it's hard to find people here that will knock the Gothic series as a whole, even with its flaws.

I should get back to Gothic 3 someday. Finished it when it came out and it was a mess. Should play more with the community patch installed. Good game, even if not as good as GI/22.

I should get back to Gothic 3 someday. Finished it when it came out and it was a mess. Should play more with the community patch installed. Good game, even if not as good as GI/22.

The community patch makes a big difference... it's a very good game with it.

To me the Gothic's were the Ultima 8 i never got. I remember playing Ultima 7 / 7 II and being so disappointed in for example Bioware's games that came after it and in Ultima 8 and 9.. I was hoping that U7 had made a new standard for RPG's and that many similar RPG's would follow, but no.. Games like Baldur's Gate totally lacked the attention to detail U7 had, e.g being able to interact with the environment (every drawer could be opened, boxes could be moved etc) and NPC's would have jobs and do stuff in their homes..

Gothic 1 and 2 were both amazing to me. G3 left me a bit disappointed, yet the world design is quite incredible, only Witcher 3 can match it imo. Well worth playing with the CP.

Ive wanted to replay g3 so many times, but that "freeing too many cities and become enemy number one" crap always puts me off. I guess there isnt a way to avoid that through a mod or something?

The Gothic games were absolute classics, I have very fond memories playing them. However, one huge flaw that is often overlooked was forcing you to play a voiced main character who repeatedly talked and acted like a complete asshole :mean: Any RPG that prevents you from creating your own character isn't a true RPG in my book.

The first two games are two of the most brilliant computer games of all time. Compared to the drek that comes out these days, these far exceed most and leave almost all wanting. Easily worth twenty bucks a pop, and if you see them for less and haven't played them, well, you should fix that!

It's too bad that PB didn't make Gothics as mod friendly as Morrowind. G2 and MW came out the same year and G2 had many more advanced features like fully voiced dialogue in addition to others mentioned earlier. However, 16 years later, Morrowind has (sort of) kept up with the times because of a dedicated band of modders and G2 has not.

I still play MW and experience new quests and items while G2, unfortunately, is a nostalgia trip I take every two years or so. If G2 had even one tenth the support MW has, I'd still be playing it as my default game.

Hands down Gothic 1 and 2 go down as a couple of my all-time favourite games. It's crazy how much they were bashed by the critics in North America at the time… people who are supposedly game lovers and you would think could appreciate the finer points of the experience they offered.

And I was one of them. I was a morrowwind fanboy and could not understand how any game could come close to the design genius of that game's world. Me a multi decade gamer thought the Gothic fanboise were juvenile kids playing with their computer that knew nothing beyond their mothers basement . . .

I proudly and completely skipped G1 but when G2 came out and people were raving it was bigger and better. AND, there was a typical RPG gaming void at the time, I said why not, and picked up G2 (pre Raven)at Frys.

Well, I was the wrong immature person. Raggin on a game I had never played. While Morrowind is a master piece in RPG gaming, But G1 and G2 are just so many levels superior in story, immersion and design.

It's funny how I totally identified with my Gothic premade character with no name far more than the character I personally designed in Morrowwind. I don't think I can even remember the name of the character I played in MOrrowwind and I replayed that whole game twice.

And a fixed up G3 is just as good as the first two. Sadly it took a few years to get the game functional, but now that it works, it too should be considered a part of the PB/Gothic trifecta.

Back
Top Bottom