The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

To those that liked New Ghosts, see what you think of this one. I don't know if the drum line is difficult to play, but it catches my ear.
"Broken Pieces"

Hmm, looks like it's harder to find than it used to be. Here's a starting point:
https://fakelabel.wordpress.com/

I think I bought it via that Bandcamp link, but that's been a day or two ago. That "broken" link was to track 1 off that cd. The link that worked was track 3, I think.

OK, let's throw out some gazer power trios, then.
"Chrome Horse" by deardarkhead

Actually, my tune for today is also from a power trio, but not quite in the same vein:
"Say Goodbye" by Triumph

I have been digging 'The Evolution of the Dark Side of the Moog' by Klaus Schulze, Pete Namlook and Bill Laswell. Amazing synth use (Moog, duh). I have the whole 10-CD collection, but generally stick with the 'evolution', which is a single CD sampler from the first 8 albums. Cool stuff …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqNA0YqVVg

Yes, very. One to add to my wish list. Thanks!

Today I listened to that one on repeat @work

Many thanks! Reminds me dark synth wave, with a little heavy guirtar at times (very Xymox-ish) with more modern drum machines and sounds. Some trance elements, plus an 80's spacesynth rhythm feel at times. Nice!

Last edited:
Something completely different: A Norwegian medieval folk ballad. "Margjit and Targjei Risvollo". Performed by singer Agnes Buen Garnås and jazz musician Jan Garbarek. Since it's a folk ballad, it's quite long (16 minutes).

Quite haunting, methinks, some of you may find it monotonous.

It's in a (somewhat incomprehensible) Norwegian dialect. An English translation can be found here: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/margjit-og-targjei-risvollo-margjit-and-targjei-risvollo.html

For those of you who don't want to read a wall of text, it's about a young woman, Margjit, who is supposed to marry Targjei Risvollo, but who is attracted to a goblin (Jon in Vaddelio). He got her pregnant (two sons). The ending is of course tragic as both mother and sons dies, only Targjei survives.

pibbur who actually had to consult the English translation to understand some of the lyrics.

Last edited:
I'm currently listening to that gorgeous entry by Pibbur. :music::meditate::music:

Just recently previously, now that Britain's Got Talent has ended for another year, I found myself searching for my favourite past contestant, the surprisingly adept 12 year old lil' star Ronan Parke. So please excuse me while I splurge some potentially offensively 'popular' music into your delicate ears.

Many people think that it's cheating when a kid does well in a talent show, because 'everyone votes just because they are kids'. The reality is that there are so many people that hold this view that kids actually rarely win. There are just as many people who reject singers because they are kids as there are people who only like them because they are kids. This guy came second in 2011 after being the bookie's favourite, most likely because of a 'too popular for his own good' situation.

There's always more to performers than just objective biases however. The true X-Factor is something more. It's about individual stage presence and general personality which, when combined with quality singing, provide something you don't see every day and somehow embed themselves in your eternal memory.

As with many of the people still commenting on his videos, "I still keep coming back to these videos, they're just so great."

Performing in the final:

The original BGT video seems to have vanished, so it's difficult to gauge how many people still watch this performance, there's loads of versions out there each will millions of views.

The Original Audition:

Currently over 40 million views.

Listening again to that other 2nd place phenomenon Susan Boyle (2009), I still think Ronan Parke was a better singer on the night, but they both have the X-Factor in spades.

2 more haunting tunes, this time from Mari Boine who is, quoting Wikipedia, "a Norwegian Sami musician known for having added jazz and rock to the yoiks of her native people".

and

pibbur who is not sure if ms Boine accepts being referred to as a Norwegian Sami musician, in stead of just Sami.

Once again, that's some truly gorgeous sounds. If I was a head honcho at Sony music the charts would be a completely different kettle of fish, lol.

The Scandinavian contemporary folk scene is very pleasing to me. More interesting than the British folk revival, though I do like Laura Marling.

Anyone like Ane Brun? https://youtu.be/RXzHQ-QBeLw

"Margjit and Targjei Risvollo". Performed by singer Agnes Buen Garnås and jazz musician Jan Garbarek.

Pibbur, thank you! Thanks to your link, I've just bought this cd as a gift for my mom -- her Norwegian grandmother was a small-time singer who specialized in exactly this kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom