King Arthur: Knight's Tale - Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » King Arthur: Knight's Tale - Review

Default King Arthur: Knight's Tale - Review

May 12th, 2022, 16:48
Thumb Culture has reviewed King Arthur: Knight's Tale:

King Arthur: Knight's Tale Review

King Arthur: Knight's Tale is now out of Early Access and available on Steam. Developed and published by NeocoreGames (Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor), it is a turn-based tactical game blended with character-centric RPG gameplay. Read on to learn more about this latest game from a veteran studio.
Life After Death in Camelot is Darker than Expected

Something about Medieval times has always had my interest. I'm not a hardcore historian of the times, I just have always found it fascinating how the world once was. But alongside the history books are the books of mythology. Some clearly with many elaborations but others are a bit closer to fact than to fiction. King Arthur: Knight's Tale puts a new twist on what I would consider one of the better-known tales of the time. Has there ever been a time you've run across a new perspective or take on something you hadn't thought of before? 'Cause this one is pretty dang cool if I do say so.

[…]

Final Thoughts

King Arthur: Knight's Tale is another great game by NeocoreGames. Even if you aren't a fan of turn-based strategy games I would really encourage you to check it out. The setting, gameplay and storytelling are top-notch. This game definitely deserves the Thumb Culture Platinum Award.
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)

May 15th, 2022, 18:08
I caved and bought it. It's fun but I'm not that far in. I'm not gushing or thinking it's GOAT material like the legions who play for 20 minutes and give it a glowing review. But so far so good.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

May 15th, 2022, 20:43
I've finished this game today.

For what it was, it was fun, but nothing spectacular. The main character was as obnoxious as dull, to the point that I avoided taking him on my missions whenever he wasn't required, and the story itself was pretty bleak. I did enjoy experimenting with skill/item builds for most other characters, and combat was pretty entertaining if a bit repetitive, but being a pretty long Tactical RPG, that was expected.

If I had to give it my own score, I'd say 7.5/10, which is fair enough considering I had no expectations.

PS: I went with Old Faith + Rightful choices in my playthrough.
--
Who am I? I am the only way the Universe has to feel, to dream, and to be aware of itself.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

May 15th, 2022, 20:54
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
…and the story itself was pretty bleak.
Bleak as in poorly done, or bleak as in bad things happen to people?

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

May 15th, 2022, 21:17
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Bleak as in poorly done, or bleak as in bad things happen to people?
As in, cold, and barebones. To me, it was difficult to connect or care for anything that was happening.
--
Who am I? I am the only way the Universe has to feel, to dream, and to be aware of itself.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

May 16th, 2022, 03:37
Soap box time again.

The actual King Arthur Legend was based on documents and writings after the Romans left Britain before the Saxon invasions. Ergo it was not based in the Medieval Ages but Early to Middle Dark Age. Modern interpretations made it that way. Like this game.

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)

May 16th, 2022, 13:14
Many thought that King Arthur and his knights tried to repel the early Saxon invasions.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

May 16th, 2022, 16:24
Technically, I think that the Medieval Age begins when Britain was left on its own to defend against all the invasions after Rome withdrew for good(*), and stops at the Renaissance. Some call the beginning of this period the Dark Ages and the name is fitting, but it's also the Early Middle Ages.

EDIT: (*) quickly checked and both actually start the fall of Roman empire, so a little later (476 AD instead of 410) - there's a gap. I may be wrong though.

The Arthurian legends are a collection of historic and mythic texts / poems in several languages from different places in what is now UK and France, it's pretty hard to link that to anything or anyone for sure, even if there are many theories about who "King Arthur" might be. (EDIT: a French friend told me once that there was one famous book series that would drive you crazy if you tried to read it, the legend of Arthur )

Perhaps it's taught at school in UK? In my mind this has always been one of the pillars of UK mythology, rather than real history.
Last edited by Redglyph; May 16th, 2022 at 17:21.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
+1:

May 16th, 2022, 16:43
History in school textbooks says the Medieval Age started in 500 AD, or called the early Dark Age. At that time period you can damn well be sure there was no full plated knights.

The vast amount of the armies at that point in England was spear-men.

I highly recommend reading the Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. Sure it's historical fiction but the author did his research on the period, and setting of the legend.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
+1:

May 16th, 2022, 17:02
Yeah, over here it's taught as part of the "Matter of Britain" - the legendary history, and the literature that sprang from it. But not as real history.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Бажаю успіху

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

May 16th, 2022, 17:32
In Belgium it wasn't taught in history lessons at all for me.

I learnt about it from movies and TV shows having always considered it legend.

The most interesting recent show called Merlin is actually quite good. Its a bit goofy but fun.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)

May 16th, 2022, 18:26
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
In Belgium it wasn't taught in history lessons at all for me.

I learnt about it from movies and TV shows having always considered it legend.

The most interesting recent show called Merlin is actually quite good. Its a bit goofy but fun.
Me neither, even in the English course, they preferred modern topics… probably more captivating for kids. Thankfully the Monty Python made a very historically-accurate movie on King Arthur, which is still my reference today.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 16th, 2022, 19:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
History in school textbooks says the Medieval Age started in 500 AD, or called the early Dark Age. At that time period you can damn well be sure there was no full plated knights.

The vast amount of the armies at that point in England was spear-men.

I highly recommend reading the Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. Sure it's historical fiction but the author did his research on the period, and setting of the legend.
Cornwell also has a great King Arthur series called the Warlord Chronicles. Lancelot is not the virtuous knight in this series. Great series.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » King Arthur: Knight's Tale - Review