XCom2 opinions - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » XCom2 opinions

Default XCom2 opinions

January 24th, 2017, 10:23
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I think you need to stop playing Ironman. Make a save when you start the mission and, if you get devastated, re-load and try again. Beats the tar out of starting the entire campaign again. Or, if you're worried about knowing what's coming, save frequently in the base. If you re-load from the base then the whole mission regenerates and you'll be playing blind again.

And do NOT turn off the timer! Talk about a cheat! No timer means you can just turtle along in everything but the terror missions.

P.S. One of the big things lowering difficulty does is add turns to that timer. Maybe you should just try normal difficulty?
I added the four turns to the timer. I re-started on non-ironman, but playing as if I were playing an ironman campaign. I think it's more fun this way.
However, I did not know that failing the turn-based missions weren't a problem.

If my party gets wiped again, I think I will try again without that mod as before and see what happens

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)

January 24th, 2017, 11:24
Strange bug happened. All of a sudden, loading a game has taken away all of my menu options. I do not know how to get them back. Any ideas ?

EDIT: It was the tech tree mod. I disabled it and it works again.
Last edited by Pladio; January 24th, 2017 at 12:17.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 24th, 2017, 13:40
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
I don't know, Chien. Maybe the mod should also focus on keep a balance between frustration and joy after each victory. If you care to read Steam discussion threads, there are a lot of people talking about balance.
Reads like a case of players telling they want something while desiring another.

The ratio success/failure should be low at first to slowly increase, mirroring the player's efforts to reverse the tide.

That is the balance set by a long war against an overwhelming enemy. There should be no frustration when it happens that way. It works as it must work. Players who expect a high ratio success/failure from the start wish to shorten the war, a war that is supposed to be long.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

January 24th, 2017, 22:55
There are a LOT of changes coming!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

January 28th, 2017, 20:00
The changes coming are now here!

Change log: http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/lo…_changelog.htm

Help on Upgrading: http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/ph…p?f=20&t=23800
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 30th, 2017, 06:34
Started playing Long War 2 on veteran (with the patch) and I've been making some progress. After a few bad missions, my new strategy is to never attempt any mission that I can't achieve 100% infiltration on. I seem to pretty consistently be able to do fully infiltrated missions, but if the resistance is any higher I'll get overwhelmed. Maybe with better troops and tech.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

January 30th, 2017, 09:55
Still playing the standard campaign.

Having lots of fun. I think I am close to the end.
The only gameplay mod I installed was the timer one that increases all timers by four turns and I think the game is much more fun this way.

I still have a difficult time with most missions but not to the point where I feel the need to trigger four pods at the same time.

I recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 30th, 2017, 14:38
After watching a few streams, clearly, people have troubles with set backs, their management of failures (squad obliterated, failed objectives), semifailures (failed objectives/obliterated squads) show they would prefer stringing successes on successes.

Everything must be successful or they quit.

Sidenote: they have still not resolved annoying bugs like the detection tile one.
Playing iron man on this kind of release quality…
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

January 30th, 2017, 15:02
What's the detection tile bug ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 30th, 2017, 22:06
The best mods to use with The Long War 2
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

January 30th, 2017, 23:13
Playing standard campaign. Really enjoying it. I admit I save SCUMM. Tried long war and I didnt like it. Too difficult

Warlod

Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 31st, 2017, 01:35
Originally Posted by Warlod View Post
Playing standard campaign. Really enjoying it. I admit I save SCUMM. Tried long war and I didnt like it. Too difficult

I recommend playing rookie iron man if you find the other difficulties too hard.

But ironman makes the choices you make more important meaning that you pay more attention to your moves…

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 31st, 2017, 04:20
I like my save scumming!

Just had a mission last night where I started on a roof in concealment. OK, let's jump off the roof and run up to that cover to see what's around. Turns out there was a civilian inside the building (no way to see him) so concealment broken and two spawns got angry. That got ugly very fast. Hidden X was slaughtered. Fine - re-load. The second time I sent everyone off the right side of the building then sent my sniper off the left side… and got caught by ANOTHER civilian at the window! But this time it only put one spawn on alert so I just dealt with it.

Plus I only play a game every six months or so, which means I forget a lot of mechanics. Does a flash grenade break suppression? Will enemies see my drone hacking the security pole right next to them? Just what does the frost grenade really do? Save and find out!
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 31st, 2017, 14:01
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
What's the detection tile bug ?

When moving in concealment, a tile shown as clear on the map gives the alert once it is stepped on.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

January 31st, 2017, 14:55
I like my save scumming!

Just had a mission last night where I started on a roof in concealment. OK, let's jump off the roof and run up to that cover to see what's around. Turns out there was a civilian inside the building (no way to see him) so concealment broken and two spawns got angry. That got ugly very fast. Hidden X was slaughtered. Fine - re-load. The second time I sent everyone off the right side of the building then sent my sniper off the left side… and got caught by ANOTHER civilian at the window! But this time it only put one spawn on alert so I just dealt with it.

Plus I only play a game every six months or so, which means I forget a lot of mechanics. Does a flash grenade break suppression? Will enemies see my drone hacking the security pole right next to them? Just what does the frost grenade really do? Save and find out!
I think it's fine if you enjoy it. No problems for me there.
I do think it's worth a try in iron-man. It makes that decision to jump off the roof an important one.

Should you first have thrown a battle scanner ? Should you have put your people into overwatch ? Should you have simply waited a turn in overwatch to see if anyone moves close to you ?

It also makes it so it is possible to fail at missions. So I have had to evac my team several times during missions. At one point, I had two pods in sight and I managed to hide from one of them. I started the ambush and killed most of the first pod, when the second pod came at me. I thought I could handle them, but due to a few misses, I had to use multiple grenades to beat them. Then two more pods arrived together at me. I could not do anything except evac.

Another time, I was playing and made a mistake by triggering two pods at the same time. One with two stun lancers, they came in and stunned two of my team. I had to leave them for dead and evac.

In non-ironman, I would maybe have re-loaded the map and gone another way, but that simply means that the game always works out.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 31st, 2017, 15:14
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
When moving in concealment, a tile shown as clear on the map gives the alert once it is stepped on.

I guess I'm lucky not to have had it happen to me.

Thanks chien

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 31st, 2017, 17:26
Played this when it was released, loved it but I really thought it was too short.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

January 31st, 2017, 17:51
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Played this when it was released, loved it but I really thought it was too short.
Long War to the rescue ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

February 1st, 2017, 03:29
What I should have done is not sprint all the way out. Maybe… if the blue was at the top of the building I still would have gotten burned.

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
That's actually normal behavior. My example above had that. You only see alert warnings if you see the enemy/civilian that will give the alert!
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 1st, 2017, 09:42
What I should have done is not sprint all the way out. Maybe… if the blue was at the top of the building I still would have gotten burned.

That's actually normal behavior. My example above had that. You only see alert warnings if you see the enemy/civilian that will give the alert!

I don't think civilians can see at the top of buildings. At least they've never seen my troops.

Enemies can though so one strategy is to not go all the way to the end of the building if you can avoid it, throw battle scanners, etc.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » XCom2 opinions