Torchlight II - Preview @ G4TV

Anyone know how Runic sells games on their website? If you buy T2 from them on their website do you get an installer like how GoG works? Or do you just get a steam key and install/play the game via steam?

If you go to their site you will find they offer the preorder through steam. I imagine that will not change when it comes out.

Max looks like he's had about 10 cups of coffee in that video. :)

In addition to Steam they'll also be selling a direct download on their site. The DRM for that version seems to have been discussed in their official forum:
6 - With the Torchlight II Runic digital version the DRM will be the same as we had on Torchlight 1 - that is, a key with a generous number of activations by default (we had ten activations for Torchlight 1, the number for Torchlight II is not finalized yet).

7 - The plan is to have the Torchlight II Runic version be an "unlockable" demo like Torchlight 1. This means you can download, install and play without ever purchasing a key, the game just has some restrictions. We have not stated what these are yet, but for example you cannot play Internet Multiplayer (you need a Runic Account linked to a key for that) and there will be a content lock in place to prevent you from playing the entire game (like with the Steam Torchlight 1 demo ending on floor 5). If you like it, you can click "buy now" from the launcher and get a key, put it in and never get bothered again. No re-downloading. No re-installing. Just unlock and get back to the loot.

8 - With that DRM you will only need to activate ONCE on a computer, it will never dial home again (normal caveats about re-activating after reformatting your computer apply). There are no rootkits. There are no custom driver bullshit. There is nothing that accesses or interferes with ANYTHING ELSE on your computer. PERIOD.

Here's a link to the forum thread if you want to read more about it.

Also Perfect World (their publisher) will have their own version for sale too.

Not that I'm expecting the story to be of much importance, but it's still an odd choice to use the exact same story as Diablo 1/2.

Liked what i saw/heard. Pet system sounds cool too, glad it's going to be in this one too.
Definitely getting my (only?)20 bucks on 9-20!

Even though I preordered, there's zero chance I'll be playing this any time soon given that it drops two days after Borderlands 2. I was dumb enough to pre-order way back, but with all the release date slips I won't be playing until they're selling it for $5. Guess I'm the idiot.

Back
Top Bottom