Monster Hunter: World - Coral Highlands Gameplay

We sure it ain't MMO?

Don't know about the game, but love the coral forest landscape. Great idea.

Anyone with experience with Monster Hunter? I'm considering getting in for my XB1X - though it looks a little too consoley for my tastes.

Someone still plays japanese games not ported by Xseeb but by someone else - with dubs? My condolences.

Anyway, till I hear the game is not a slave to some multiplayer rubbish, no buy. If sidekick AI is horrible, so one is forced to coop it, I might buy it on a whim just to thumb the idiocy down on Steam.

@joxer; Monster Hunter is made by Capcom, their Dragon's Dogma PC port was good.

Dragon's Dogma? One of the worst games I've ever played in my whole pathetic life. Games? Hell, it's not a game, it's a job.
If Destiny didn't exist, Dragon's Dogma would be the most overrated garbage I've ever seen.

If MonsterHunter is same shit new wrapping... Just gimme even more reasons not to buy it.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, but Monster Hunter: World is going to get me into the series. I like my single player games, but I also enjoy a good cooperative experience once in a while too. However, I'm strictly waiting for the PC port (even though that is still a ways out). :)

I think they are overcompensating something with those weapons.

I'm not convinced. It looks a little grindy and overly focused on being challenging rather than compelling to me.

That asian thing where hard work is life. That's about as not-me as you can get :)

I'm not convinced. It looks a little grindy and overly focused on being challenging rather than compelling to me.

I have similar feeling. I would say it looks much more grindy than really challenging for the player (his tactics, quick thinking, better use of skills, overal setup..).

I have similar feeling. I would say it looks more grindy than really challenging.

To me, grinding is a real challenge ;)

But my experience with (many) asian games is that "hard work" is an intentional part of the design. I guess it's a cultural thing.

But I have a very different mindset. There's only one thing that makes me want to invest and "work hard" - and that would be rewards that match or exceed my investment. Be it new and unique bespoke content, an extremely compelling narrative - or things of that nature.

It's absolutely NOT enough to give me more things to grind for.

I almost never find appropriate rewards in games with asian designers behind them.

The Monster Hunter games traditionally have a high degree of player skill involved, not necessarily in terms of quick reflexes (though they help) but in terms of learning the moves and best ways to fight your enemies, how to best use your gear, etc. But there can be a lot of grinding too, depending on how you play.

If the end boss for a chapter is a giant lightning lizard, you could beat it through practice and slowly learning his moves and what his tells are when he's about to do a lightning blast, and what types of things disrupt his attacks . Or you could beat him through grinding lesser bosses with lightning resistant hides and crafting a full suit of armor to beat that boss. Usually I end up doing some combination of the two. I found the reward, access to a new area, to be fairly worth it. Each area is pretty beautiful and epic, and the bosses you fight are generally epic enough that it can be somewhat rewarding just to finally take one down. Sometimes you might unlock new game mechanics too.

My big issue with the monster hunter series is that each one copies most of the exact same monsters, items, and equipment as the previous ones. They will always be some new ones, but it can still feel pretty repetitive to start out fighting the exact same dinosaur monsters that you started out fighting in the previous 5 games. I haven't looked at this new one that closely, but I know there is reference to some kind of new continent, so if that means completely new monsters with no repeats, that would be a big draw for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds exactly like what I feared it would be. Dark Souls was bad enough, really.

Someone still plays japanese games not ported by Xseeb but by someone else - with dubs? My condolences.

Do you have any decent recommendation? GoG is currently running a JRPG sale - which do you recommend (I prefer ones with a serious tone, no school kids, party based, similar do DA:O where possible):

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180124_jrpg_sale

Back
Top Bottom