|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

Default Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

June 11th, 2018, 11:04
Looks fine. The setting kind of puts me in mind of Megacity One, and nothing wrong with that.

Can't say it's done anything I find particularly exciting, yet.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

June 11th, 2018, 12:57
City does not look much diverse and the few black people who are featured are not black as black people can be.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 13:33
Anyone remember the 'Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy' skits on Saturday Night Live?

Sometimes Chien reminds me of those.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
+1:

June 11th, 2018, 13:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Anyone remember the 'Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy' skits on Saturday Night Live?

Sometimes Chien reminds me of those.
I've been thinking for weeks now doing a Chien character for that XCOM2 RPGWatch Team I made. I even know how his biography lines will be…
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 14:00
Saturday Night Live?
loading…

Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
I'd take this with a grain of pepper.
Don't forget some salt.
loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 14:07
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Not sure why people complain it's bright etc (how else does something look on a sunny day?) are they clueless as to what open world RPG's are these days? That they e.g have weather and day/night systems? I'm sure the game will have rain, fog and dark nights.
Night City is supposed to be covered in pollution (aka smog), it's nowhere in the trailer.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

+1:

June 11th, 2018, 14:14
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Night City is supposed to be covered in pollution (aka smog), it's nowhere in the trailer.
Yes, i think you are correct there actually. It does need more smog. Hopefully weather etc is still being tweaked.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

June 11th, 2018, 14:18
Says who? The game is based on Cyberpunk 2020, but it takes place 57 years later. There could be any number of reasons why there isn't smog everywhere. I assume they're going to have a little more variety than that.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 14:21
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
City does not look much diverse and the few black people who are featured are not black as black people can be.
Sounds like Portland. *rimshot*

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 14:51
Seriously? I noticed no asians in the trailer at all. Means there are none in the game and those CDpr devs are racists, bring out pitchforks!
There could be any number of reasons why there isn't smog everywhere. I assume they're going to have a little more variety than that.
CDpr worlds are windy.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 15:06
Says who? The game is based on Cyberpunk 2020, but it takes place 57 years later. There could be any number of reasons why there isn't smog everywhere. I assume they're going to have a little more variety than that.
Mike Pondsmith, the guy who created the setting and its weather 9 months ago on reddit on a question directly about Cyberpunk 2077 daylight. He has creative input on the game too.

Also, Cyberpunk 2020 campaign ends in 2024, not that is change much.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 11th, 2018, 16:32
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
CDpr worlds are windy.
lol! That's why it's so sunny then - the buildings can't be too tall and won't cast much of a shadow.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 16:38
Nitpicking much?
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

zahratustra

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 17:00
Originally Posted by Rahdulan View Post
That was definitely in-engine footage. You can see some disappearing NPCs and LoD popping in towards the end. Looks great to me and it's kinda weird to read online about people being so stuck up on what cyberpunk is "supposed to look like".
I'm finding that an interesting read, too. The trailer wasn't exactly to my liking, but then I've never been too interested in the cyberpunk genre save for Blade Runner-esque takes and derivatives, and don't have any real interest in Cyberpunk 2077.

Though, I do think that Blade Runner helped to mold what people imagine cyberpunk to be, so much that they use it as the basis for what "should" and "should not be" cyberpunk. That's a topic I'm glad to not take part in.

I am happy to see it be a different take on the cyberpunk genre, though. Go against the grain. Break the mold. I completely support that.
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 17:39
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
Nitpicking much?
Mentioning that Night City should look like the way its creator described it is "nitpicking"?

It affect the whole tone of the trailer in a wrong way. It's all too "hopeful/nice day".
--
Last edited by azarhal; June 11th, 2018 at 18:15.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 11th, 2018, 18:01
meh, gta 2077

CRD

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 18:17
It's all too "hopeful/nice day".
You mean outside of poverty, technology frying people and used for surveilance, riots, constant violence erupting in streets, crazy cyborgs in broad daylight, etc…

2020 is not Bladerunner: world in perpetual night and you'd better wear a trenchcoat for it never cease to rain.
It was heavily inspired by movies like Streets of Fire, which have that street, urban opera feel to it, two lovers against the world, to hell with the odds.

loading…

"We are not doing Blade Runner. We are not making dark and depressive world. It will be full of rock and roll. We want it to have Tarantino feel."..it went something like this, that statement they made when they were just starting.

I think this was a bold move, showcasing Cyberpunk almost entirely in daylight and without everyone living in filth for no reason.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 19:19
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
You mean outside of poverty, technology frying people and used for surveilance, riots, constant violence erupting in streets, crazy cyborgs in broad daylight, etc…
The tone of the trailer is set by the first scenes with the subway leaving a tunnel to be right under a bright clear blue sky. The narration over the transition is refuting the "worst place to live in america" tag with a message of hope and dreams. It literally mute the violence in the rest of the trailer.

Also, I'm complaining about the daylight being too clear blue sky, not that there is daylight. If people can't make the different between overcast/smog and clear blue sky, go out outside more, you need it.

If I wanted to be full on Cyberpunk 2020 purists, I would be complaining that it's not always raining in the trailer might I add. edit: It's not always raining technically, but the PnP suggest to always have rain to set the mood.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 11th, 2018, 19:30
The tone of the trailer is set by the first scenes with the subway leaving a tunnel to be right under a bright clear blue sky. The narration over the transition is refuting the "worst place to live in america" tag with a message of hope and dreams. It literally mute the violence in the rest of the trailer.
I don't agree with that. There's been many works that feature dark themes, but bright and beautiful environments - many brutal Westerns, or African conflict stories, for example. I think the contrast can be as effective as a backdrop that represents darkness in an obvious way.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 19:40
Maybe your screen is set too bright?

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer