Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Demo Impressions

I don't think they'll make such expansion for CP2077, but mmo spinoff is never off the table - gwent was never supposed to happen outside of TW3 yet they made a spinoff TCG.

But spinoff of what exactly? We saw CP2077 on E3, but CDpr plans were *two* AAA singleplayer titles - where's the other one?
Also, why CP2077 spinoff, why not the world of witcher?
CDpr will create mmo of their own for sure. The thing is they want to shake existing trends - if they cannot compete with wow/lol/maplestory world domination when it comes to mmos, they won't bother. I'm saying they won't be making destiny trash clone or another empty promises overhyped garbage. Unless their CEO steps down.
Probably not a full MMO in the future but more of a GaaS model with Co-op. As that seems were all the money is nowadays . Just look at Bethesda's E3 Presentation.

More elaborate from Hayden:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3281374/e3/cyberpunk-2077-preview-e3.html

For instance, to upgrade your skills you need to go to a Ripperdoctor—someone who specializes in implants. Nothing is abstracted, though. You want an eye implant? You’ll watch the Ripperdoctor lean in to pull your existing, organic eye out (in first-person) and then see the mechanical eye flicker to life. And don’t forget to take your post-operation meds.

I love this. Didn't like how, in Witcher, mutagens were gamified, instead of serious body alteration ( that most don't survive). This seems way more immersive and intense.

She was angry because V’d done some work targeting Militech in the past, and in lieu of killing us, hired us to take revenge on another gang.

Seems that lifepaths play a pretty big part in npc/world interaction. And there is a massive variety there.

Cyberpunk is a classless system, and so it’s up to you to mix and match the various skills, spec towards being a gun-happy tank character or a tech-centric assassin or what have you. At one point in the demo, our companion lifted up an entire car to create cover. I’m hoping that’s an unlockable feat.

Reminds me of MGSV, seems companions will play a bigger/more tactical role than expected.

Some impressions from Hayden Dingman ( PCworld)

First time out and Cyberpunk has better shooting mechanics than Fallout ever has. Even has ballistics penetration. Fancy.

This Cyberpunk demo is potentially the most impressive demo I've seen in six years at E3. It's jaw-dropping. We walked outside our apartment onto the streets of Night City and there were at least a hundred people milling around, all looking completely natural. It's the most realistic city I've ever seen pulled off in a game.
I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say I've literally never seen anything like it. I honest to god wouldn't even have believed game tech had progressed to a point where this was possible.

This must be that city building technology they received a grant for.
Don't forget Novigrad from TW3. While it was impressive in the actual game, it looked insanely good in the trailers.
So I guess in the actual game we won't see Night City as it has been presented in this most likely optimized demo on the most powerful hardware.

Don't forget Novigrad from TW3. While it was impressive in the actual game, it looked insanely good in the trailers.
So I guess in the actual game we won't see Night City as it has been presented in this most likely optimized demo on the most powerful hardware.

True, but this time they've invested into their own R&D for this, instead of just building similar to others. While Novigrad was one of the best cities out there, I'd say there are still some on par, or better: AC Unity/Paris, Los Santos, etc.
The way they describe this seems like some kind of next gen tech they've come up with.

Listen, I’ve played a lot of video games in my life. Almost 30 years of them at this point. I know what a “city” looks like in video games, and I’ve watched that definition evolve over the years. I remember when Morrowind’s towns seemed bustling, and Oblivion after that. I remember watching a trailer for the original Assassin’s Creed and being stunned how large and crowded it was. I remember driving around Grand Theft Auto V and being in awe of the traffic and the number of unique pedestrians.
So I’m deadly serious when I say: I didn’t think Night City was possible. Not yet, at least. I literally didn’t think the technology existed. What I saw during CD Projekt’s demo was astounding. As we walked out of that apartment, I was stunned as we looked up at towering skyscrapers, dozens of them stretching off into the distance and dotted with billboards and storefronts and all sorts of other signs of life. It felt like an actual city street, something from Manhattan or downtown Los Angeles or Tokyo or some other urban megacomplex. Dozens if not hundreds of NPCs casually milling about. Not just walking, but doing things—stopping to look at stores, or talk to each other, in ways that seemed entirely natural. One boxed with an android in a back-alley ring, while onlookers crowded around. These aren’t the robotic schedules I’m used to from Skyrim or Fallout 4, or even The Witcher 3. I’d say Assassin’s Creed: Origins got closest, but even it pales in comparison to what I saw during this Cyberpunk demo. There’s a realism to Night City I’ve never seen, and again: I didn’t think it was possible.

Some of the impressions go "Dozens if not hundreds of NPCs casually milling about". That's seems to be a large gap to me, so some of the previewers are probably adding all the NPCs they saw in a section but that wasn't necessarily all at the same time.

CDPR seems to be using quite an aggressive occlusion culling algo right now in the game going by the trailer (it has some NPCs going poof the moment a part of their body is occluded from the camera).

Hierarch Square (where the bank is) in Novigrad could have 20-30 NPCs in it at certain time of the day in TW3, all visible to the player. The demo area is the Watson district and the pamphlet given to attendees mention it has bazaars and markets in narrow alleyways. 20-30 NPCs in a narrow alleyway would look packed.

True, but this time they've invested into their own R&D for this, instead of just building similar to others. While Novigrad was one of the best cities out there, I'd say there are still some on par, or better: AC Unity/Paris, Los Santos, etc.
The way they describe this seems like some kind of next gen tech they've come up with.

Listen, I’ve played a lot of video games in my life. Almost 30 years of them at this point. I know what a “city” looks like in video games, and I’ve watched that definition evolve over the years. I remember when Morrowind’s towns seemed bustling, and Oblivion after that. I remember watching a trailer for the original Assassin’s Creed and being stunned how large and crowded it was. I remember driving around Grand Theft Auto V and being in awe of the traffic and the number of unique pedestrians.
So I’m deadly serious when I say: I didn’t think Night City was possible. Not yet, at least. I literally didn’t think the technology existed. What I saw during CD Projekt’s demo was astounding. As we walked out of that apartment, I was stunned as we looked up at towering skyscrapers, dozens of them stretching off into the distance and dotted with billboards and storefronts and all sorts of other signs of life. It felt like an actual city street, something from Manhattan or downtown Los Angeles or Tokyo or some other urban megacomplex. Dozens if not hundreds of NPCs casually milling about. Not just walking, but doing things—stopping to look at stores, or talk to each other, in ways that seemed entirely natural. One boxed with an android in a back-alley ring, while onlookers crowded around. These aren’t the robotic schedules I’m used to from Skyrim or Fallout 4, or even The Witcher 3. I’d say Assassin’s Creed: Origins got closest, but even it pales in comparison to what I saw during this Cyberpunk demo. There’s a realism to Night City I’ve never seen, and again: I didn’t think it was possible.
I don't want to deny that CP77 will hit another level of city building that hasn't been seen before in video games.
I just doubt that the final game will be on the very level that the demo showed.

CDPR are professionals in marketing now as well. They had years to plan their campaign. I bet this demo has been planned and polished for months. It's their starting engine to get that hype train rolling.

That's not meant as a rant. I wish them all the economic success as it would show that a market for games like this (offline SP RPG with deep narrative) exists.
I just want to lower expectations - at least my own. :)

Less than excited about playing a first-person shooter.

Was hoping the setting would allow for more something more diverse, along the lines of tech-driven or cyberspace gameplay. Something maybe a little innovative. :/

I don't want to deny that CP77 will hit another level of city building that hasn't been seen before in video games.
I just doubt that the final game will be on the very level that the demo showed.

CDPR are professionals in marketing now as well. They had years to plan their campaign. I bet this demo has been planned and polished for months. It's their starting engine to get that hype train rolling.

That's not meant as a rant. I wish them all the economic success as it would show that a market for games like this (offline SP RPG with deep narrative) exists.
I just want to lower expectations - at least my own. :)

That's definitely true, for all games, but reporters who viewed it say this is very much live in engine ( trailer), though running obviously on very powerful PC.
Very likely they want to avoid whole Witcher III downgrade controversy and want to show it to audience as polished and close to final version as possible.

J. Schreier: ""What’s most striking is that it looks like a real game. Cyberpunk 2077 isn’t shockingly pretty or full of astounding pre-rendered graphics—it looks like a video game built to run on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with an impressive, humongous world that may live up to the bar set by Velen and Skellige. CD Projekt Red won’t commit to a release year—which is smart, until they’re absolutely sure—but for a game that was teased in 2013 and has been MIA until now, they showed quite a bit. Put another way: this isn’t Final Fantasy VII Remake."

From what I've read of Iwinski's interviews he really doesn't want to go through same thing again. This seems much closer to release version than that first Witcher version was ( 2013->2015)

I for one just got hyped, something I try to avoid most of the time. But damn this sounds cool, even though it's nowhere near the type of games I usually enjoy the most I just have to play this. And I never bothered picking up TW3 so unlike most others here I had no huge expectations before E3.

Last edited:
LOL Thrasher, did you miss the "not a shooter with RPG elements but RPG with shooter elements" bit?

And you know that "most of the gameplay is shooting" how exactly?

There doesn't seem to be discussion of much else. NO mention of other types of gameplay like sneaking, stealing, constructing, hacking, or anything innovative I was really hoping they would showcase like cyberspace exploration.

Back
Top Bottom