Cyberpunk 2077 - Review @ Worth A Buy

Haven't played it yet - waiting for patches, maybe a mod or two (that might be too optimistic as I can't hold out forever), and I'm also waiting for a 3080 (which I am getting in a new PC for my studio - and using that card for my gaming rig)

Is there an issue with 21:9 support? Can anyone confirm?

Also is the interactivity that low? In terms of objects, locations, non story NPCs, etc you can (or can't) interact with, as well as NPC reaction to you or world happenings - How would some of you rate that - and even if so, does it affect your experience negatively?

Since I installed the 1.04 hotfix on Saturday morning I have had one crash and one (UI) bug. That's it. In ~12 hours of play.

Skyrim wasn't buggy for me, as far as I recall. I remember a huge bug that prevented a quest from working but that was introduced by a patch. And they never fixed it, which was... interesting. It was one of the Daedric quests, the one where you view events from the past.

New Vegas also ran pretty well for me. Until they patched it. Then I had armies of T-posed gangers coming after me and all sorts of nonsense.

So yeah, I'm very happy that the patch from CDPR actually made the game run better for me, not worse.

Also is the interactivity that low? In terms of objects, locations, non story NPCs, etc you can (or can't) interact with, as well as NPC reaction to you or world happenings - How would some of you rate that - and even if so, does it affect your experience negatively?

Depends on your expectations. It's exactly like The Witcher 3. If you go up to random NPCs, they will have, at most, a single dialogue line. Just like the random Novigradians or village folk. It's slightly better than in Witcher 3. Half the time in that game they would just grunt or fart or something. Here they usally say something contextually appropriate.

The best way to play, again just like in The Witcher 3, is to follow the content and check out stuff along the way. Gigs and such are plentiful and have quite a bit of unique flavor to them in the form of settings, ambient convos, emails, shards to read (shards are basically a sort of book/pda of the future), and NPCs. There are ambient conversations to listen to. Even the various crimes around town (there are 150+ of these) have small amounts of bespoke content. If you follow content, you'll end up exploring a lot and having more to do than you have time for. But if you just start going up to doors and clicking on random NPCs, nothing much will happen.

HAlso is the interactivity that low? In terms of objects, locations, non story NPCs, etc you can (or can't) interact with, as well as NPC reaction to you or world happenings - How would some of you rate that - and even if so, does it affect your experience negatively?
JFarrell71 said it well above it's basically Witcher III 2.0 in a cyberpunk setting. Same side quests and mission structure, and it even has all those ?'s again done differently.

it feels like a mod for GTA5 with a bolted on great RPG system
LOL no.
50 hours of what? I'm 55 hours in and I barely scratched the game's surface.

Do the Panam's save someone sidequest. IIRC Riders in the Storm is the name of it.
Do such sidequests exist in GTA5 game? I don't remember I saw anything like this there.
Hell not even the GTA5 main story was pathetic compared to CP2077 sidequests.

GTA5 is a boring braindead game.
CP2077 is not boring, there is so many different and interesting content here and so far in my game - no car/bike/helicopter/airplane/boat races. Thank god.
Two drastically opposite designs.

JFarrell71 said it well above it's basically Witcher III 2.0 in a cyberpunk setting. Same side quests and mission structure, and it even has all those ?'s again done differently.

I got super bored doing ?'s in W3. It really diluted the overall experience, and by the time I got to Skellige, I barely did any. They were better in Blood and Wine. But in the core game they were bandit camps, monster nests, guarded treasures... very little unique content or story content in any of them. I actually like them a great deal more in Cyberpunk. Almost every single one has something different to hear/read/see.

Depends on your expectations. The best way to play, again just like in The Witcher 3, is to follow the content and check out stuff along the way. .... If you follow content, you'll end up exploring a lot and having more to do than you have time for. But if you just start going up to doors and clicking on random NPCs, nothing much will happen.

Sounds pretty good. That is the way to play W3, and while there is some randomish exploration, it's overall better to have a reason to be exploring an area, or basement, etc, or talking to someone.

I do wish there was more exploration/discovery content in CDPR games but that's not their approach and there are other games for that (Gothic, Deus Ex, etc). And like you said, you get the same exploration vibes anyways if you follow the content.

no car/bike/helicopter/airplane/boat races. Thank god.
Well, there is voluntary car racing (talk to a bartender at a certain bar). :p
But yeah, I like the GTA games, but this isn't like one of them in many respects.

Talking about cars, I'm sick of being pestered to buy cars by all the various fixers. Honestly, it's getting ridiculous. They should have just had some car selling vendors that you could visit if you wanted to. And maybe some dodgy car-stealing missions from them if you were so inclined.
No, I don't need your Shitbox2000(tm), I have my Delamain cab, thankyouverymuch!

I only played a little of GTA5 and only for a friend. It was enough to know it isn't close to C2077. Hell I don't even use the cars in C2077. I mainly run and use mass transit, with the occasional motorbike trip, outside of when someone else is driving me someplace.

This game is super rich in story telling, very dark and atmospheric, with great characters and lots to do. Course mileage will vary depending on taste and preference.

I had some trouble getting into it ... almost stopped ... but now, probably GOTY. It isn't a game I expect to play multiple times as the story focus is so intense and a lot of cut-scenes ... but it is fun to wander around, checking out things, work on various missions.

It reminds me more of older Bioware games like DA and ME with their involved characters, story, and the like.

Have been surprised how much it has effected me playing. Totally immersed into the game and find it very emotional and heavy at times. Damn fine game IMO. Not remotely like a GTA5 game which I couldn't stand.

Yep it's a story focused game and that's what I love to play with RPGs. That has always been the focus of CDPR RPGs to date and I hope they never change their style.

As most developers want to make shallow open world games.

The denial is strong in this thread.

Nobody says Cp2077 is a bad game. It's not great either. Overhyped, certainly.

Driving is an absolute shitshow. it's is plain painful, the only redeeming quality is soundtrack. Yes, nothing like GTA5, much worse. GPS sucks, minimap sucks. yes, I too use fast travel for my own sanity.

My first protagonist was a netrunner female. I had zero graphical glitches (hard to believe I know). 2 CTDS and 1 quest bug.

I started a samurai male. Never-ending graphical bug-fest. I can't even pinpoint why. Game breaking? No. Annoying? Yes.

There is a funny one. Take a "borrowed car" to corpo agent meeting. After it ends, the car you brought and your "default car" will be sharing the same space. Open the door, "borrowed" car explodes and your "default" ones will lose doors. Just funny.

Now, after I played around with implants both melee and network, the system is worse than first Deus Ex where each augmentation was defining to how you are going to play.

Some skills are OP as hell, some are mere % to damage. Economy is fake (vendor machines grind LOL). Crafting is not worth it, unless you want to craft for a sake of it.

Story missions are outstanding. Some of the gigs are very well designed.

Do I enjoy the game? Definitely. A lot. I like it. Is it playable? Yes.

I even recommend it to all my friends, with a caveat about bugs.

But it should not have been released in this unfinished state. I still hope the GotY edition will fix it.

One more thing. While you can re-spec the skills, attributes are set (at least for now).

So after intro, just run around doing NCPD gigs to get a feel around different builds. Normal difficulty is fine for beginners, you can spread around for a generalist. Hard will require a focused build and you will see if you like a particular style.

Stealth handgun build is fun, it is switching into gunslinger seamlessly (same attribute base), netrunning is great too. I haven't tried tank builds yet. Nor ninja builds.

So after intro, just run around doing NCPD gigs to get a feel around different builds. Normal difficulty is fine for beginners, you can spread around for a generalist. Hard will require a focused build and you will see if you like a particular style.

I started on Hard like I do for most games, but I switched to Normal after awhile. Hard only seems to turn everything into damage sponges.

I started off disliking the driving, but I quickly got a feel for the sensitivity and now I like it. The vehicles really do handle differently, so if you've only driven a model or two, try something else. It may be more your speed. When I got out of the city and started putting the pedal down in the desert I realized how good the driving feels for me now.

I play on Hard and have from the start. Did the same with W3. I'm not great at games, but I dislike walkovers more than I dislike occasionally having trouble with a fight (mostly Cyberpsychos). I also want to feel like using different weapons/perks/cyberware, etc is necessary and I don't get that if it's too easy.

I let other people drive. I use Jackie's bike for the most part if I need to get around or hire a cab. I also run a ton as that way I get to enjoy seeing the city and chip in on random stuff.

Game looks amazing. I have done limited images myself as having too much fun to pull myself away to do a lot of shots. But I see them on discord and flickr from friends and they show it off nice. A couple favorites I saved by others.

Hopefully they show up below as they are linked to either flickr or discord.

Holy crap. Does this mean a PS5 or PS4 Pro owner has no way to buy the game digitally now? And if you have the game and don't want a refund, how are you supposed to get patches?

This is….wow, this is crazy. I feel the need to buy a second, physical copy so some suit doesn't decide I don't get to play my game anymore.

It's odd because my understanding was that for the few with a PS5 it runs fine.

It's odd because my understanding was that for the few with a PS5 it runs fine.

I can only speak to my own experience, with an Xbox One X, and it runs fine, looks great, and I'm having a shit ton of fun with it.

This is a nightmare scenario for CDPR and it makes me ill. It's partly self-inflicted, but only partly. A buggy launch has spiraled into legions of people complaining about every single thing they can think of. The game doesn't have this, doesn't allow you to do that... and there is such a perverse glee in this turn of events. The loss of CDPR would be a HUGE loss, and these so called RPG fans are fucking happy to see their potential downfall.

I hate people so much.

I can only speak to my own experience, with an Xbox One X, and it runs fine, looks great, and I'm having a shit ton of fun with it.

This is a nightmare scenario for CDPR and it makes me ill. It's partly self-inflicted, but only partly. A buggy launch has spiraled into legions of people complaining about every single thing they can think of. The game doesn't have this, doesn't allow you to do that, and there is such a perverse glee in this turn of events. The loss of CDPR would be a HUGE loss, and these so called RPG fans are fucking happy to see their potential downfall.

I hate people so much.
Yeah I hear ya. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another example of Mass Effect Andromeda. As that vocal legion got EA to cancel all Dlc's and future expansions.

Seriously Cyberpunk 2077 needs those expansions. So much story left unsolved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom