Tortured Hearts - Demo available

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Tortured Hearts will be released on March 1st. You can check out 1/3 of the game already, because SubBassman just released a free demo on Steam:

Tortured Hearts demo is available now!

It covers 1/3 of the entire game without any particular restriction.
One of the NPCs will notify you if the demo concludes.
Please tell us if you find any issues. (teleportgameshq(at)gmail.com)
On this link you can find a very very spoilerish description of quests.
Don't read it, unless you are really stuck! No, really. :)
This list is not complete, it'll be expanded over time.

Read the pdf document attached on Steam, please.
Also, consult the in-game HELP section for important info.
Don't forget to buff yourself all the time.
A few people can have motion sickness due to the FPS view.
In order to mitigate it, you can adjust camera FOV by the mouse wheel.
Also, you can turn the targeter off which helps a bit.

More information.

I've downloaded the demo and playing right now. If you like old school, hardcore RPGs don't miss it.

Is this the same game that was in NWN originally? I think I tried this 20 years ago but the author's grasp of English was quite questionable. I've read his recent posts and it seems great now! Same guy? Seems like it. I'll try this tonight too, and probably buy the game even if I never play it. You gotta reward somebody who keeps putting it out there. The autoplay vid on Steam makes it look great!

Is this the same game that was in NWN originally? I think I tried this 20 years ago but the author's grasp of English was quite questionable. I've read his recent posts and it seems great now! Same guy? Seems like it. I'll try this tonight too, and probably buy the game even if I never play it. You gotta reward somebody who keeps putting it out there. The autoplay vid on Steam makes it look great!

It is a completely new game and tells a different story than the mods. Also as far as i know all the texts in the game were proofread and edited by a native English speaker, so no need to worry about that.

Do we know if saves will carry over between the demo and the full game?

It's as I remembered the other game. Tons of running around talking to people who make little sense. I don't have the patience for that kind of play. Also, you can offend someone and the only way to really know is to save before talking to everyone and finding out the triggers that make them happy/sad. Not for me. I want the loots and rewarding exploration. I should watch for a let's play where they get right into the action; once the game actually releases. If I skip a ton of the blah-blah I'll get enough fun out of it.

Last edited:
Played it briefly. Art direction is good. I think the day/night cycle passes a little too quickly. Also, resting doesn't seem to pass time?

I didn't quite understand the combat. You just choose the AI presets and the rounds play out by themselves?

You just choose the AI presets and the rounds play out by themselves?

Yes. Directives determine behavior.
It doesn't depend on player abilities at all.

If it's not automatized, you can invoke the inventory to use items (potions for instance) or equip/unequip stuff, summon a helper.
You can adjust combat speed with the -/+ buttons below.
You can go berserk and flee from combat (sometimes helpful to decrease the number of enemies and come back later).
Humanoid enemies and animals are susceptible to parley. First one needs Communication, 2nd one needs Animal Lover.

Yes. Directives determine behavior.
It doesn't depend on player abilities at all.

If it's not automatized, you can invoke the inventory to use items (potions for instance) or equip/unequip stuff, summon a helper.
You can adjust combat speed with the -/+ buttons below.
You can go berserk and flee from combat (sometimes helpful to decrease the number of enemies and come back later).
Humanoid enemies and animals are susceptible to parley. First one needs Communication, 2nd one needs Animal Lover.

Those battles were pretty confusing to me. After talking with everyone in town, I left the village and I got my ass kicked by basically everything except the first Zombie Adventurer. Not sure what I can do differently. Can't buy any equipment (merchant doesnt speak with "newcomers" and I have very little money, anyhow), I looked for turnip everywhere for the pig but found only one so far in the inn.

I really wish I knew about the tooltip earlier. Would have helped very much for the character creation. Just to know what affinity means, for example... Using the shift button wasn't very intuitive to me.

Those battles were pretty confusing to me. After talking with everyone in town, I left the village and I got my ass kicked by basically everything except the first Zombie Adventurer. Not sure what I can do differently. Can't buy any equipment (merchant doesnt speak with "newcomers" and I have very little money, anyhow), I looked for turnip everywhere for the pig but found only one so far in the inn.

I really wish I knew about the tooltip earlier. Would have helped very much for the character creation. Just to know what affinity means, for example… Using the shift button wasn't very intuitive to me.

For quest info, please refer to the hint section of my promo page. Careful, it's a huge spoiler.
You'll definitely need to get rid of the Newcomer stigma.
For combat, you'll need better equipment, buffs and eventually more party members.
However, you can avoid a few combat situations by sneaking past the particular mob(s).
Also, you can play several hours without fighting. Quests and situations give you XP, items and whatnot. This is highly recommended.
Oh, and there is stealing…
And crafting...

Thanks for playing the game. :)

Last edited:
DL-ing it now. Will see.. Checked out the CREDITS section, as always: WoW!
My Compatriots Made this!!
Okay lets click on New Game..
UGGh.. Now I see, why I didn't recognize any old names in the domestic gaming industry. Okay.
Unfortunately I couldn't reach the first combat, because I was bogged down by some talking pig, whose far left lines I couldn't see on 1920x1080 res as both sides of the game screen were reaching outside of the viewing area of my 5:4 monitor.. the res. didn't scale. But it doesn't matter. :)
Then I was puzzled why can I suddenly see my main character after stopping, while walking around, as if I left her behind? Is this an FPS TPS. Ah..
Anyway..
The entirety of this product was so uh.. ** peculiar ** that I hit exit, before walking out of the tavern.

Last edited:
Tooltip

As vanedor mentioned, the tooltip works in a different way.
You have to press left shift while the cursor is over a button or icon.

For similar information, please read the help section. There are many small things you may need to know. :)

Char Customization

In Drunken Stupor (char customization area) you can:

Select a skill affinity at the expense of another skill.
Give yourself random stats pressing F8 on the Char Sheet.
And reset your stats completely to have absolutely custom values.

STR is important to deal martial damage (except ranged) and it affects carrying capacity. This latter may become an issue later.
AGI mostly determines Action Points. The more you have, the more things you can do in a combat round.
DEX is used by ranged fighters and dagger users.

Weapons

Base weapons are not very good. You need excellent stats to utilize them.

Weapons with elemental damage are the ones you really need. These are fairly effective even with lower stats.

Also, you can enhance your weapons (and armor) with the so-called Enhancers.

I found everything fairly easy to figure out after some fiddling. I'm not a fan of the combat or excessive talking. My plan is to buy the game on release to support your decades of work, but this isn't really an rpg that fits my playstyle.

I'm into exploration and tons of loot with lots of variety. Skyrim types and action rpgs are my niche. Ooh, and survival types. I can play party-based stuff a little, but mostly if I create the whole party. I am an avid, avid reader. This makes reading a ton of game text nearly intolerable :) If I'm going to be reading, I'll choose a book every time. The only text heavy game I've ever enjoyed was the Krondor game. Then again, who doesn't enjoy Feist?

For Watchers: I tried every build. The bard seems to do the best in combat for some reason. If you give him high agility and make sure his music is at level 3 or higher, he can one shot the zombie on a good roll. I even killed the mercenary that's nearby the first area, though I won't spoil where. If you take the ragpicker skill, you will find a couple early weapons. If you take herbalism and level it, you will have money enough to buy a few items from merchants.

Time to revoke your RPGWatch credentials crpgnut. Bah doesn't like to read text heavy games but rather read a book instead. I could go on , but I'm disappointed.:p

Back
Top Bottom