The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread - Page 317 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Default The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

May 5th, 2021, 17:08
I was listening to the OST of Divinity: Original Sin, from the late Kirill Pokrovsky, and found out that one of the tracks, Mysterious Guest, had actually been created in 1989 for another project (I couldn't verify this). Quite a beautiful track, and a great OST.
The song "Mysterious Guest" from the Divinity: Original Sin soundtrack was originally recorded in 1989 for a Russian hard-rock project named Может быть (Maybe). They recorded three albums from 1989 to 1990, but they were never officially released due to lack of funding. The Divinity song finds its origins there: it was originally named Кто ты? (Who are you?). The Divinity version has re-recorded music that is layered on top, and the original version sits in the back of the mix, re-used from a bootleg Может быть album, hence the quiet vocals.

It's speculated that Tatiana Blinova and Svetlana Granovskaya allowed the use of the original vocals due to their friendship with the late Kirill Pokrovsky.

And, in a way, it’s really cool that he found a way to finally release that almost-lost song, even if it took 25 years.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

May 5th, 2021, 17:36
This morning I had a band-off between Weezer and Offspring, and I was the glorious winner!!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

May 5th, 2021, 21:09
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I was listening to the OST of Divinity: Original Sin, from the late Kirill Pokrovsky, and found out that one of the tracks, Mysterious Guest, had actually been created in 1989 for another project (I couldn't verify this). Quite a beautiful track, and a great OST.
Nice one. I'm still playing D:OS on and off. About to enter the Source Temple which I think is the endgame?

I don't recall that track being in the actual game though. (Unless it's post-ending)

Kirill Pokrovsky never made an average soundtrack.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

May 5th, 2021, 22:14
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Nice one. I'm still playing D:OS on and off. About to enter the Source Temple which I think is the endgame?

I don't recall that track being in the actual game though. (Unless it's post-ending)

Kirill Pokrovsky never made an average soundtrack.
I never finished the game, unfortunately so I can't say when or whether that track is in the game.

The OST of D:OS 2 was very good too, but I'll have to listen to them both to appreciate the difference. Working on it I've seen that Koprovsky made a solo album Brugge, it's a city not far from where he lived and where Larian's HQ currently are. It's on Soundcloud too.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

May 5th, 2021, 22:21
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
The OST of D:OS 2 was very good too, but I'll have to listen to them both to appreciate the difference. Working on it I've seen that Koprovsky made a solo album Brugge, it's a city not far from where he lived and where Larian's HQ currently are. It's on Soundcloud too.
I haven't played D:OS 2 yet. Who was the composer there?

Divinity II Ego Draconis is still my favorite as far as Pokrovsky's soundtracks. If you haven't played it, you should at least check out the OST. The game itself is great too though imo.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

May 6th, 2021, 00:07
I haven't played D:OS 2 yet. Who was the composer there?

Divinity II Ego Draconis is still my favorite as far as Pokrovsky's soundtracks. If you haven't played it, you should at least check out the OST. The game itself is great too though imo.
Borislav Slavov, he's also the composer for BG3.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

May 6th, 2021, 01:17
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I could get behind the first and third ones, but I could survive without hearing Outlaw's Paradise again.
Ritchie Blackmore’s rainbow did this as well in the late ‘70s. For example an interesting version of 16th century greensleeves. Sorry on the move, so no link.

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 6th, 2021, 17:30
This morning, I've been sampling the melodious sounds of Prong. Back to snapping body parts I go!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2021, 21:34
And then this afternoon, after thinking about some music that I quite enjoyed in my youth, I fired up some Canned Heat. Man, as long as you don't mind some blues with yer rock n roll, you cannot go wrong with these blokes!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 7th, 2021, 18:27
After yesterday's wake-up tunes, I had to think about a band that might be able to pull off a similar feat this morning. I settled on Silverchair, focusing on the album Freak Show. After that, just to be complete, I also listened to Frogstomp. Good stuff!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 7th, 2021, 19:41
A little Johnny Cash and some fire to start your weekend

loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

May 7th, 2021, 21:10
A little Johnny Cash and some fire to start your weekend

loading…
Fantastic indeed. I especially love his performance with Bob Dylan.
loading…

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 21:20
Ohhh nice suggestion, I'll fire up some Cash right after this Friday Radiohead premiere is over.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 7th, 2021, 21:24
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Fantastic indeed. I especially love his performance with Bob Dylan.
loading…
Never heard that one before. I don't think they mesh very well, but I'm not big fan of Dylan.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 7th, 2021, 21:32
Never heard that one before. I don't think they mesh very well, but I'm not big fan of Dylan.
Oh, they mesh perfectly to my ear. Dylan's higher pitch with Cash's low rumble. Beautiful!

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

May 7th, 2021, 21:50
I've always found Dylan annoying. There's something about his voice that grates with me. I felt the same way about Tom Petty too, and he had a singing style similar to Dylan's, so I think it has something to do with their tone/range.

They are/were both great musicians, just not the style I like.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 7th, 2021, 21:56
I also like Tom Petty. Speaking of, his best song imo:

Tom Petty - Free Fallin'
loading…

Jake Bugg is also fantastic. He's some some amazing song. I think this one and Two Fingers might be my favorite ones. He's got a fantastic voice.

loading…

Another band I only recently discovered, for some reason. Cage the Elephant.
Trouble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-gGl6qihQ
Ready to Let Go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM1S9S-Q2sU

Also, the band that resembles Led Zeppelin, also came out with a couple of new cool songs. This one in particular I love.

Greta Van Fleet - Heat Above
loading…

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

May 8th, 2021, 03:14
Tonight I'm enjoying a little mellower music, some Monster Magnet. Make sure that if you check them out, you listen to albums, not radio version songs, as many of those tend to be….redacted. Heavily!

Fun fact: a Marvel guy named a character after a MM song after he heard it. True story . Yes, I do believe Morrison might have been extremely drunk or high at the time, listen to the album "Dopes to Infinity", and see if you can figure out which track. It won't be difficult if you've seen the Deadpool films!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 8th, 2021, 12:40
I'm more partial to the metal versions of Medieval bard songs.

Blind Guardian - Bard's Song

loading…
--
"Nowadays due to woke ideology, the normal rules of the game, due process, political compromise, the presumption of innocence, free speech, even reason itself have now been suspended"

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)

May 8th, 2021, 12:45
New song from another metal band I love.

LORD OF THE LOST - Priest

loading…
--
"Nowadays due to woke ideology, the normal rules of the game, due process, political compromise, the presumption of innocence, free speech, even reason itself have now been suspended"

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread