The Cooking Thread

Sadly, I've never seen wild garlic here, unless it has another name on this side of the world. I've done it with spinach and feta though!! :)

Yeah, it's funny stuff, and I'm not sure it grows over that side. It emerges in woodland in the spring, and can form a carpet for a while.

2538670729_447b4c3dd7_b.jpg

The leaves and flowers have good flavour - kind of like chives, but more garlic-y than onion-y. Lots of people make a pesto with it. For some reason it seems to appear more in ancient woodlands.

Those are similar to Scallions or green onions in the States. My father loved them and they par well with tuna sandwiches. Anyway that garlic is also known as Ramsons.

Those are similar to Scallions or green onions in the States. My father loved them and they par well with tuna sandwiches. Anyway that garlic is also known as Ramsons.

Yes, that's the stuff. I could definitely see them going in a good tuna mix.

Good lord yes, green onions on tuna is perfectly marvelous! I'd prefer them cold, yet heated would work as well. Preferably on a wild sourdough, something that's been aged for at least six months. Bread is important. Watching people eat morbid pasty disgusting bread literally hurts my soul.

Today's newspaper lists the case of a man who had apparantly mixed wild garlic with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum_autumnale , made a sauce from that, and died of the plant's poison.

Yes, if you're going to eat plants out of the woods, you need to make sure you can identify things. One of the rules for picking wild garlic is that you always pick one leaf at a time. The leaves of bad things are easy to identify, but if you grab handfuls at once there's a risk of sweeping up something you really don't want in the mix.

So damn true I remember eating wild cherries/berries on one my camping trips. Good news they weren't poisonous, but they caused a bad case of flatulence all day.:lol:

Last edited:
Yes, if you're going to eat plants out of the woods, you need to make sure you can identify things.

Yes. This is also true for mushrooms.

In our family we had a very simple rule : "What we don't recognise, or have difficulties in recognising, we leave alone."

So damn true I remember eating wild cherries/berries on one my camping trips. Good news they weren't poisonous, but they caused a bad case of flatulence all day.:lol:

Be happy that it was only that.

During university time (studying geology), we had made an extensive excoursion into the alps. The house belonged to a partner university, but was more a ruin than anything else. The lavatory consisted of a wooden shaft going down into … "something".

Me and a few others, we had a severe … problem … with our digesting systems after having had a bath in a river that was close by (all that was relatively high in the mountains). We had to go to that … lavatory … every 1-2 hours at least, and had to vomit, too. That was going on for I think it was 2-4 days. Meanwhile everyone else was going from geology location to geology location.

Yes. This is also true for mushrooms.

In our family we had a very simple rule : "What we don't recognise, or have difficulties in recognising, we leave alone."

Yes, definitely. Wild mushrooms are amazing, but you can come to a sticky end if you haven't studied your field guide.

My approach was to learn about all the major nasties first, and try to find and identify them.

Yes, to know which are the bad ones is essential.

The best I've had were in Italy, where foraging for wild mushrooms is very popular in the countryside. Now I'm hungry.

Seared wild mushrooms.

When we lived on a dairy farm, in upstate Pennsylvania in my youth, I often made myself ill during summer-time by eating far too many berries/strawberries that grew out in the pasture. These days I know, of course, they flourished because of all the cattle/horse fertilizer, but man, back in those days I didn't care. It was soooo good, right off the stem/vine!!

Last night I grilled up some sausage with garlic, hot peppers and cilantro, threw down on a baked potato, and finished it off with some cole slaw. I ate it out on my porch and got some complements from people walking by on how good it smelled!

I followed this recipe last night. Absolutely lush. I've learned many things from this channel.

That looks really nice, Ripper! Today is such a cool day where I live in Florida that I'm going to brave making a pumpkin pie from scratch. I usually don't have my oven on much this month, as it's quite often still blazing hot here, yet today has been rainy and cool. And I so dearly enjoy a nice pumpkin pie!

I like the zen of Jun's cooking channel. Japanese cookery under the supervision of his felines.

I did actually do the pumpkin pie I was threatening to bake a few days ago, it turned out really well. I picked a day that wasn't too warm here, so having the oven on for an hour didn't roast me. As a matter of fact, it left my house smelling like baked pie for almost two days, kind of like a double win.

And the pie is fantastic. I portioned and froze half of it, just to make sure it didn't decay too quickly. I want to enjoy every slice!

Nice.

Back
Top Bottom