CRPGaddict's Blog

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Just thought I'd point out that CRPGaddict is up to Dungeon Master now. I'm looking forward to seeing his take on this game.

If there are any Dungeon Master fans out there you might be interested in the nostalgia value of this blog. If you didn't get to play DM then it'll give you a chance to see what you missed out on :)

Dungeon Master has a very special place in my heart. It was one of the first Amiga games to use stereo sound effectively - and I consider it a revolution in game design. You could argue Bard's Tale and similar games paved the way, but Dungeon Master was just….. superb.

More updates to Dungeon Master:

Level 2

Level 3

My second complaint has to do with secret doors. From what I can tell so far, there are two types: those activated by hidden switches, and those that I just walk through. The switch ones are cool. I have to watch carefully for changes in the pattern on walls and make sure I don't miss them, but this is a perfectly valid gameplay element. The ones that I walk through, on the other hand, are a pain in the ass. Since my characters take damage from just walking into walls, it's impractical to bump into every wall to see if there's a secret door behind. It would be too time consuming even if I didn't take any damage. But there's functionally no other way to find them. I found one on Level 3, but I'm guessing I probably missed others on this and previous levels.

This is my pet peeve as well. Taking damage for running into walls when the only way to find illusionary walls is to "run into the wall". Come on, I like a difficult game, but that's just wrong.

Still a great game :)

This is my pet peeve as well. Taking damage for running into walls when the only way to find illusionary walls is to "run into the wall". Come on, I like a difficult game, but that's just wrong.

There's a spell <oh ew ra> for looking through walls!

You take ~1 damage for walking into walls IIRC - which is not bad. It's a game that's supposed to be challenging and I like that! ;)

But I have to admit it's silly that you can't "click" on the wall and have a different sound or whatever. It's an old game.

Back
Top Bottom