Avadon 3 - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new Jeff Vogel RPG has been released: Avadon 3: The Warborn

Avadon 3: The Warborn is a huge, old-school, indie fantasy role-playing adventure, the conclusion of the epic Avadon trilogy. You are a Hand of Avadon, warrior and spy, judge and executioner, with nearly unlimited power to fight the enemies of your homeland. Your word is Law. However, your lands have been invaded. Barbarians and monsters are rampaging through your home, and you are the only one who has a way to stop them.

Avadon 3: The Warborn is an epic, retro adventure in an enormous and unique world. Choose from five different character classes, each with dozens of unique spells and abilities. Explore cunning dungeons, hunt for hundreds of magical artifacts, and pass judgment on your enemies (or just people you don’t like). Avadon 3 features many different endings. Will you save your people or betray them? Follow orders or claw for more power? We leave those decisions for you.

Key Features:

• Epic fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous and unique world.
  • Many different endings. Will you be loyal to your leaders or switch sides and bring them down? The choice is yours!
  • Five different character classes, with dozens of unique spells and abilities.
  • Experience an exciting story, with fascinating characters, tough decisions, and many twists and turns.
  • Dozens of side quests, dungeons, and secrets to discover.
  • Hundreds of magical items to find. Use powerful crystals to make your artifacts even more powerful.
  • Huge adventure with lots of replay value. Experience with earlier games is entirely unnecessary to enjoy Avadon 3.
More information.

I'm reviewing this for the watch, and am about 80% finished with my playthrough. If you liked either of the previous Avadons I'd say you can't go to wrong with this one.

Huge adventure with lots of replay value. Experience with earlier games is entirely unnecessary to enjoy Avadon 3.

Perhaps, but the story has nowhere near the impact if you haven't played either Avadon: The Black Fortress or Avadon:The Corruption. If you are interested in the Avadon series, I'd start with one of the earlier games. Probably Avadon: The Corruption.

Last edited:
I just finished Avernum Escape from the Pit. I really enjoyed it. Do you think I would enjoy the Avadon series? I like large open worlds that are not too linear.

I just finished Avernum Escape from the Pit. I really enjoyed it. Do you think I would enjoy the Avadon series? I like large open worlds that are not too linear.

I've only played Avadon 2 but it is in fact more linear than Escape From the Pit. Still, it did have a few side areas to explore at times, and still had plenty of side quests and overall content. Also, it focuses more on the characters and party members, it seems, and people have called it a Bioware-lite type of game. Still, you can't go wrong with any Jeff Vogel game, imho, including Avadon. All of his RPGs have great RPG elements that make them special.

But Avadon is definitely a more linear title when comparing it to Avernum.

I'm not sure. In Avadon you don't explore a huge open world. The maps are as big if not bigger than Avernum's area maps, but they are opened up as the story progresses. I think the closest parallel maybe like areas opened up in Baldur's Gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights 2. The story is much more important and developed than in Avernum, I'm not sure if that would be enough of a tradeoff for you. Also a warning about the Avadon series: The first two games have very similar story structure in my opinion. I was diassapointed in Avadon 2 for that reason. That's why I'd almost recommend starting out with part 2 and skipping part 1.

I'm surprised by how under the radar Vogel's releases still are even in this post-kickstarter and indie-craze age.

Sigh... I always feel vaguely guilty whenever there's a new Spiderweb game. I feel like I should love these games but I just don't. I've played a couple in the past but they just don't fully grab me. Ack, even admitting that here makes me feel like a lesser RPG player... forgive me RPG gods, I'm not worthy!

Sigh… I always feel vaguely guilty whenever there's a new Spiderweb game. I feel like I should love these games but I just don't. I've played a couple in the past but they just don't fully grab me. Ack, even admitting that here makes me feel like a lesser RPG player… forgive me RPG gods, I'm not worthy!

That's ok, no worries. As long as you don't dislike PS:T. :)

pibbur who likes both PS:T and the Vogel games.

Sigh… I always feel vaguely guilty whenever there's a new Spiderweb game. I feel like I should love these games but I just don't. I've played a couple in the past but they just don't fully grab me. Ack, even admitting that here makes me feel like a lesser RPG player… forgive me RPG gods, I'm not worthy!

I'm with you - they don't do much for me, either. I think they're mainly for people that are immediately aroused at the sight of a dated RPG inventory screen. :p

Jeff Vogel can tell stories, his RPGs have lots of choices with consequences, different game endings, memorable characters, crafting and last but not least turn-based combat - enough said.

Jeff Vogel can tell stories, his RPGs have lots of choices with consequences, different game endings, memorable characters, crafting and last but not least turn-based combat - enough said.

I disagree, TBH. Those games tick the boxes in terms of covering those elements, but I don't personally think they do any of them particularly well. I haven't played them all, but those I've tried didn't impress me.

That's ok, no worries. As long as you don't dislike PS:T. :)

pibbur who likes both PS:T and the Vogel games.

Yeah, I definitely liked PS:T (anything from Black Isle) but it was so long ago I don't remember the specifics too much. It's kinda like a good, hazy memory - like the first time I had ice cream as a kid. :)

I disagree, TBH. Those games tick the boxes in terms of covering those elements, but I don't personally think they do any of them particularly well. I haven't played them all, but those I've tried didn't impress me.

Heretic!!!! Philistine!!!! Other insults!!!!

Pibbur who actually doesn't mean what he just said. And who aknowledges that no game appeals to everybody. Except solitaire.

Last edited:
The Avernum series has just the kind of story I love. You are thrown into a pit and you try and survive. You can't get much better then that in my book.

I am playing Enderal right now and I love the gameplay and exploring but the story is boring me to tears. You are the prophet and the world is ending and you are the chosen one. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Make the story simple and believable. When you have been playing these games as long as I have these convoluted stories seem all the same.

That's why I love AD&D. The old modules are perfect. Keep on the Borderlands or Isle of Dread explore and try and survive. Take the module Against the Giants, you have a nice little story hook at the end where the Drow elves are involved.

I guess this is why I enjoyed Skyrim more then Witcher 3. Skyrim I was making my own story while Witcher 3 was like watching a movie.

Heretic!!!! Philistine!!!! Other insults!!!!

Pibbur who actually doesn't mean what he just said. And who aknowledges that no game appeals to everybody. Except solitaire.

Yes, I realise I've blundered into the RPG tabernacle and defaced the holy-of-holies. There is little doubt about my heretical tendencies.

I do like PS:T, though.

The Avernum series has just the kind of story I love. You are thrown into a pit and you try and survive. You can't get much better then that in my book.

I absolutely agree. Throw in the creative/uncommon lore which makes for a very interesting setting, and that goes a long way to what makes Avernum RPG gold, imo.

That's why I love AD&D. The old modules are perfect. Keep on the Borderlands or Isle of Dread explore and try and survive. Take the module Against the Giants, you have a nice little story hook at the end where the Drow elves are involved.

I guess this is why I enjoyed Skyrim more then Witcher 3. Skyrim I was making my own story while Witcher 3 was like watching a movie.

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but I had similar impressions watching others play it. While the story/interactive movie style of RPG can be fun sometimes, I much prefer the gameplay-focused ones recently.

Explore, try to survive in a mysterious/strange land, build your characters/party and let the story that is there slowly unravel.

I'm surprised by how under the radar Vogel's releases still are even in this post-kickstarter and indie-craze age.

Same here. I saw that the first Avadon game on Android only had 1000 downloads. Shocking, honestly, especially considering his mobile ports are identical to the PC games and excellent to play on a nice tablet.

Well, I could say a little more. His games also have creative lore, excellent world-building and interesting worlds to explore, vivid writing, fun character building/character customization and simply immersive and engrossing exploration and gameplay. Exploring Avernum: Escape From the Pit is just pure joy if you are an RPG fan. Above all, they encourage and promote the player using their imagination in a big way, and that is just lovely to see in an RPG for me.

Back
Top Bottom