Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

Default Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

March 2nd, 2021, 16:44
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
You and I, and Archangel if I recall, were highly skeptical about the whole thing. And we took a lot of shit over it, in a thread or two. I've got no issues with being wrong though, if it does come out and is good. Can't say I'd mind a PoE clone, or ten.
Lol, yes - not for the first time!

But yeah, definitely it would be best if they actually release a game. I thought their demo actually looked pretty good. But if you look at what they've said about what they've been doing in their updates, it totally contradicts their claims at the beginning. We shall see.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)

March 2nd, 2021, 17:02
Looking forward to find the troll named @Archangel

largh

Sentinel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

March 3rd, 2021, 00:21
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
You and I, and Archangel if I recall, were highly skeptical about the whole thing. And we took a lot of shit over it, in a thread or two. I've got no issues with being wrong though, if it does come out and is good. Can't say I'd mind a PoE clone, or ten.
I was sceptical of it too but I hope it will come out in decent shape this year. I wouldn't say this will be PoE clone probably more leaning towards BG clone - gamesbanshee preview a while back mentions how the beta content heavily reminds players of things like Seravok, Gorion, Nashkel mine etc

purpleblob

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 3rd, 2021, 00:52
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I wouldn't say this will be PoE clone probably more leaning towards BG clone.
Huh?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

March 3rd, 2021, 00:57
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Huh?
Gamesbanshee preview:

Speaking of the latter, you would think that a game inspired by Baldur's Gate, a game that itself abbreviates into BG, would at least have the decency to not copy the basic premise of the Bhaalspawn saga. You see, while most of it takes place before the beta starts, based on some conversations and the quick manual bundled with the beta, I've managed to piece together what happens during Black Geyser's intro.

You discover some truths about your origins and set out on an important journey. You predictably get ambushed, and before you know it, your half-brother you never knew you had kills your noble father. And this lands you inside a town that's having problems with its mines.

If that description fills your mind with words like Gorion, Sarevok, and Nashkel, I don't blame you. And if you add on top of it the fact that while never explicitly explored in the beta, Black Geyser separates its characters into Mortals and Demigods, these story similarities raise all sorts of alarms.

Admittedly, Black Geyser's presentation, general atmosphere, and the actual sequence of events never actually devolve into a carbon copy of Baldur's Gate. It's just that once you look beneath the surface, the similarities become too apparent to ignore.
https://www.gamebanshee.com/previews…s-preview.html

Also screeg's comment below:

Haven't played it, but I'm contributing a ton of the dialogue* under the direction of the lead narrative designer. I imagine we're going to be seeing a whole lot of opinions as soon as this hits the digital shelves, but the lead dev is heavily committed to a BG-style game. They even have the same initials!

*caution: opinion may be biased
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…6&postcount=12
Last edited by purpleblob; March 3rd, 2021 at 00:59. Reason: Fixed up some broken characters

purpleblob

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 3rd, 2021, 01:29
You misunderstood. It's obviously a BG clone. I've just never seen someone differentiate between BG and PoE in that way.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 3rd, 2021, 03:09
Yeah it's a contradiction as PoE is a BG clone so by calling Black Geyser one also basically means the same thing. Anyway Black Geyser has the same graphics and menus as PoE.

Don't forget I played the Beta as well it's not just hot air.

Anyway here's a video of the beta.

loading…
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
+1:

March 15th, 2021, 13:40
Quick Discord update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Update.jpg (46.8 KB, 86 views)
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

March 15th, 2021, 14:33
Farcical. If you have a delinquent managing director, who are the shareholders, and why haven't they got rid of him?
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

March 15th, 2021, 14:59
Not surprised as the game is a mess. They have no idea if development will continue.
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

+1:

March 15th, 2021, 15:14
Yeah, originally I was interested in this, but then the red flags started going up like Chinese New Year.

loading…
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

March 15th, 2021, 17:28
It will truly be a shame if this just dies an ugly death. I see so much potential in this project, I really do hope something splendid comes out of all this.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
+1:

March 15th, 2021, 19:28
Not much of an update to be honest…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 15th, 2021, 19:34
It's not an update it's just a snippet from a discord chat. Good luck finding any official update as the whole team has no idea whats going on. Like Ripper said Farcical.

The whole project has been cursed and plagued by problems. Like I said before three different developers with three different games that always fail. It's laughable really.

Frankly I don't blame any publisher for not wanting to fund this new version.
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

March 15th, 2021, 20:17
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
It will truly be a shame if this just dies an ugly death. I see so much potential in this project, I really do hope something splendid comes out of all this.
It's not that much of a shame. We're getting several other party-based fantasy RPGs in the near future. I wouldn't grieve too hard for yet another one produced by a seemingly inept developer.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

March 15th, 2021, 21:08
Nod, as Couch mentioned above, I recall some of the other issues that this project has encountered. Regardless, I only wish them the very best, I never have so many games that I cannot throw some kindness towards another.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

March 15th, 2021, 21:44
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
It's not that much of a shame. We're getting several other party-based fantasy RPGs in the near future. I wouldn't grieve too hard for yet another one produced by a seemingly inept developer.
I agree. Besides, it's not like they ever showed us much to begin with. A few short clips and some screenshots. I liked what I saw, but it's hard to tell how much content they actually had finished.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 18th, 2021, 04:28
According to several German gaming magazines, one of the founders of the company that's developing Realms Beyond was trying to find a publisher as they had run out of money. He didn't find one and hasn't gotten in touch with his colleagues since. They have no idea where he is, but they can't finish and release the game without his permission. So, RB is dead, I suppose.

Dragonfly

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 18th, 2021, 16:36
wait, was this being developed or published by wirecard?

Cacheperl

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

March 18th, 2021, 17:00
This game looked extremely promising and I'm not happy about the situation and how it seemingly won't be finished or released. And it makes me wonder negative things such as if it was a scam all along or what. If it has enough work and progress done in the game overall, even if not finished, you'd think they could sell what they have to some other rpg developer and at least get something for it.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen