Exp:Viking Expeditions: Conquistador - Sequel and Sale

Expeditions: Viking

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Tomorrow at 10.00 CET the embargo ends on letting you know about the new Expeditions game. In the meantime you can get Expeditions: Conquistador at Good old Games with a 70% discount.

More information.

I actually just installed that yesterday, and am about to start a campaign. :)

Here's hoping they do like in the first game, where a playable character and quests were locked-out for those who didn't back the game on Kickstarter, above a certain amount. :roll:

Always a great idea to lock those unaware of a crowdfunding campaign, or unable to back, out of experiencing such significant piece of content.
People talk about major publishers, and practices such as pre-order DLC, or retailer exclusive content (and rightfully so, since these are appalling practices), but some "indies" are doing a great job going in a similar direction, by making content exclusive to crowdfunding campaigns. Some have a bit of decency, and make the content minor/cosmetic. And then there are games like Expeditions: Conquistador, which was one of the worse offenders.

Here's hoping they do like in the first game, where a playable character and quests were locked-out for those who didn't back the game on Kickstarter, above a certain amount. :roll:

Always a great idea to lock those unaware of a crowdfunding campaign, or unable to back, out of experiencing such significant piece of content.
People talk about major publishers, and practices such as pre-order DLC, or retailer exclusive content (and rightfully so, since these are appalling practices), but some "indies" are doing a great job going in a similar direction, by making content exclusive to crowdfunding campaigns. Some have a bit of decency, and make the content minor/cosmetic. And then there are games like Expeditions: Conquistador, which was one of the worse offenders.

Oh, I'm not aware of this? They cut a crucial piece of content from the non-backer editions?

Oh, I'm not aware of this? They cut a crucial piece of content from the non-backer editions?
Yes, in fact among other things, despite not having many possible characters joining your party, you are unable to recruit one of the characters unless you backed $30+ on Kickstarter.

Hm, I can live with backer exclusive equipment or items, but making story content exclusive (as in a companion or a quest) is… annoying. :-/

Yes, in fact among other things, despite not having many possible characters joining your party, you are unable to recruit one of the characters unless you backed $30+ on Kickstarter.
Wouldn't have bought the game being aware of that ! Thanks for the info, even if it comes a little too late for me (bought it some months ago)

Hm, I can live with backer exclusive equipment or items, but making story content exclusive (as in a companion or a quest) is… annoying. :-/
If that's confirmed, that means a big no for the upcoming sequel ! At least for me. I'm ok with something like : you don"t pay my game, you don't play it ! But this kind of behaviour where you have to back my upcoming game in order to play it complete, that's just a bit too much for me.

You are looking at it wrong way my friend. It was in reality minor addition, to reward backers. I bought game later, without it, and this additional content is negligible. Please do not make it look like it is some major offence.

There are 31 followers. And one additional exclusively for backers.

You are looking at it wrong way my friend. It was in reality minor addition, to reward backers.
I really don't share your view that an exclusive recruitable character, among other items, is a minor addition.

I have to wonder if you would feel the same way if, say, a publisher such as Ubisoft pulled a similar move, and made a character exclusive to a certain retailer, or pre-order only.

If that's confirmed, that means a big no for the upcoming sequel ! At least for me. I'm ok with something like : you don"t pay my game, you don't play it ! But this kind of behaviour where you have to back my upcoming game in order to play it complete, that's just a bit too much for me.

I bought the game, didn't get to play it yet.

According to
http://steamcommunity.com/app/237430/discussions/0/846954921834772835/#p2
it's only esteban that's exclusive.

Also http://steamcommunity.com/app/237430/discussions/0/522729358657894432/
says you can add him with the console.

Might be some kind of unlocker floating around too I dunno.

I agree though, I personally can't condemn preorder bonuses and think exclusives like that are ok, I was not aware of it at the time of my purchase either.

They were struggling to get funded. I am glad they made it though.

$77,247
pledged of $70,000 goal

Game was tons of fun. I think you do not need to have esteban in the game as it actually is not a major part of the storyline.

Either way, I might replay it once I get tired of Invisible Inc.

This only rankles me if it weren't handled well, meaning in a reasonably diegetic way. I haven't played the game yet, but I'm assuming you just don't get the recruitment option if you don't satisfy that condition - is that correct? As long as it respects the gameworld's internal consistency and isn't like DA:O, with a character trying to sell you real-world-money stuff, it's not big deal to me.

I was unaware, but honestly, I had so much fun with this game, that it doesn't matter to me. Still I think it was a bad decision on their part as it generates ill will. Hopefully they learn their lesson and don't do it again.

I also did not know that there were exclusive backer content. I purchased after kickstart and don't regret it, very nice game. Still have to finish it, too many excellent games around and not enough time. Will for sure back the sequel, something like "here is my wallet, just take it !".

I really enjoyed the original, and would certainly buy any sequels. :)

Daniel.

I remember receiving a message from the developers asking the backers if they were OK with having the exclusive content being offered to non-backers for a small fee. I don't remember the result but if this content is not made available, then I guess it was the backers that prevented that :). But in all honesty, I really don't remember what the end result or conclusion was.

In any case, missing out on that particular recruitable character is not a big deal.

This was a great game, and I have no problem at all with a little extra, non-essential content being provided for those that backed the project. There is nothing wrong at all with rewarding investors, and I'll be lining up to play the sequel when it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom