Loop Hero - Sells Half a Million Copies - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Loop Hero - Sells Half a Million Copies

Default Loop Hero - Sells Half a Million Copies

March 13th, 2021, 21:25
Loop Hero is successful:

500,000 Players Have Embraced Loop Hero!

Week One Sales Milestone, Steam Cards & Future Updates Revealed
We're so thrilled and blown away to announce that over 500,000 players have set out on loop adventures in the first week since Loop Hero's launch! But our biggest achievement has been to hit Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam user reviews - thank you all so much!

We're celebrating this all with a collaboration with Bard-the-zombie on a special series of Steam Trading Cards, available now in the game!

Next up, we're working on patches with quality-of-life updates you all asked for, including a system for saving during expeditions, new speed settings, and a deck of traits gained from bosses! After that, you can expect to see lots more content added to the game, such as new cards, transformations, classes and new music. We can't wait to share more updates with you all soon!
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
+1:

March 13th, 2021, 23:43
Wow, those developers must be very well connected.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 00:09
Card collection, auto-combat, good dialogues, instant satisfaction!
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 00:23
I did a bit of research & the developers are regular Ich.io uploaders and have a raft of those ichy kind of games.

The more relevant aspect is probably the publishers, Devolver Digital, who are currently riding the populist wave after that weird popular party game Fall Guys went viral. Their Steam profile has 175k followers & they're on a roll I guess.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

March 14th, 2021, 02:11
The power of media in a world of brainless masses. This game isn't beautiful, innovative or even great at anything. It's a little autobattle game that belongs more to something you code in a couple weeks to upload on a flash game site or a mobile phone app, but it got advertised and a couple somewhat known streamers picked it up and people without power to make decisions for themselves will buy it.

In any case, good for them, and grats on their success.

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 04:59
Reading the comments here I thought I was visiting the Codex. Almost felt like home - almost.

Angelo85

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

March 14th, 2021, 09:11
Anybody can self-publish games, apps, and books nowadays. The key is getting a few people on various social network sites to advertise to millions of potential buyers.

It's not just YouTube or Twitch anymore either.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 10:13
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
The power of media in a world of brainless masses. This game isn't beautiful, innovative or even great at anything. It's a little autobattle game that belongs more to something you code in a couple weeks to upload on a flash game site or a mobile phone app, but it got advertised and a couple somewhat known streamers picked it up and people without power to make decisions for themselves will buy it.

In any case, good for them, and grats on their success.
Reviews on Steam are overwhelmingly positive, so there must be something about it that resonates with a lot of people. I took a good look at it, and I don't see anything that appeals to me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 13:27
I am having a lot of fun with this game!

Drone001

Traveler

March 14th, 2021, 13:30
Playing the demo at the moment. Starting the game instantly felt like good old amiga times, where you didnt know what to expect from a game, there were lots of new ideas, like this game which has gameplay which hasnt been done (at least not combined into something unique) before.
Of course i love retro games and the graphic style as well as the music.
Also the game is really easy to pick up (but hard to master?), so there is that.

vidder

Sentinel

March 14th, 2021, 17:54
Popular music, telly, films and books always prove that the majority of folks are really not very discerning. Don't lump yourself in with the brain-challenged, find out for a higher probability if something is actually worth your while, either by taking a chance or limiting qualifying reviews to people that you know, and might also know you. Demo's are also a solid way to go.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

March 14th, 2021, 20:36
Originally Posted by vidder View Post
Playing the demo at the moment. Starting the game instantly felt like good old amiga times, where you didnt know what to expect from a game, there were lots of new ideas, like this game which has gameplay which hasnt been done (at least not combined into something unique) before.
Of course i love retro games and the graphic style as well as the music.
Also the game is really easy to pick up (but hard to master?), so there is that.
Where did you find a demo? I don't see it on the Steam page.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 14th, 2021, 20:49
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Where did you find a demo? I don't see it on the Steam page.
If you go here and click "Install" on the top right.
https://steamdb.info/app/1519390/

Strangely its possible like this, but not directly through Steam (anymore).

vidder

Sentinel

+1:

March 14th, 2021, 21:02
It's a fun game. Relaxing to play, I'd say. Good retro art.

But in the end, it's too slow for me, waiting for all that auto combat and auto walking to finish until you can actually make a decision again.

Cacheperl

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

March 14th, 2021, 21:10
That's almost a sure way to conceal a demo, rofl. Thanks for explaining how to actually locate it, I don't think I'd ever done so without a guide, no lie.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
+1:

March 14th, 2021, 21:17
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
It's a fun game. Relaxing to play, I'd say. Good retro art.

But in the end, it's too slow for me, waiting for all that auto combat and auto walking to finish until you can actually make a decision again.
I find it will become more stressfull the more "loops" you do in a level, because you constantly have to decide which gear to use / cards to play etc. Also everything seems to have side effects, like the combination of environmental tiles you place… But i am still in the learning process.

vidder

Sentinel

March 14th, 2021, 23:53
Originally Posted by vidder View Post
I find it will become more stressfull the more "loops" you do in a level, because you constantly have to decide which gear to use / cards to play etc. Also everything seems to have side effects, like the combination of environmental tiles you placeā€¦ But i am still in the learning process.
Sure, ideally you'd be able to speed up by about 16x or 32x, but get an auto-stop when you get cards that are not duplicates of cards already on hand. (Gear probably doesn't even need that)

Cacheperl

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

March 15th, 2021, 01:15
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
Sure, ideally you'd be able to speed up by about 16x or 32x, but get an auto-stop when you get cards that are not duplicates of cards already on hand. (Gear probably doesn't even need that)
Haha, what? Until now i didn“t even dare to speed up to 1.5x

vidder

Sentinel

March 15th, 2021, 01:21
Not a fan of how each new loop has you restarting with no gear. They should let you choose some items to carry over imo. Just an early impression from the demo.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 15th, 2021, 02:05
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Reviews on Steam are overwhelmingly positive, so there must be something about it that resonates with a lot of people. I took a good look at it, and I don't see anything that appeals to me.
Bizarre really, as I've barely heard anyone talk positively about it other than the interest of the unique format. Everyone I read suggest the game get real boring real quick!

lackblogger

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Loop Hero - Sells Half a Million Copies